The Y Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I commend any fans here who still support spurs after enduring the 90's

At the start of the 90s, we had trophies and European football, Gazza, Lineker… and then it all crashed. Horribly. Absolutely shattered everything for me as a young Spurs fan.

Sheff Utd away. 6-0 loss.

Bolton away. 6-1 loss.

Coventry away. 4-0 loss.

Newcastle away. 7-1 loss.

Chelsea home. 6-1 loss.

And that’s just the start.

These are scars that I’ll never shake off.

Fuck me.

At the start of the 90s, we had trophies and European football, Gazza, Lineker… and then it all crashed. Horribly. Absolutely shattered everything for me as a young Spurs fan.

Sheff Utd away. 6-0 loss.

Bolton away. 6-1 loss.

Coventry away. 4-0 loss.

Newcastle away. 7-1 loss.

Chelsea home. 6-1 loss.

And that’s just the start.

These are scars that I’ll never shake off.

Fuck me.

The 90's weren't all bad. FA Cup, League cup, that run to the FAC Semi in 94/95 after being kicked out. Sheringham, Klinsman, Ginola, Anderton, Ferdinand, King, etc. I actually feel that the lack of expectation made losses less soul destroying as well.
And with all those hammerings above, what about beating United 4-1, Chelsea 5-1 (2002 tbf) and a few other games?

The 90's weren't all bad. FA Cup, League cup, that run to the FAC Semi in 94/95 after being kicked out. Sheringham, Klinsman, Ginola, Anderton, Ferdinand, King, etc. I actually feel that the lack of expectation made losses less soul destroying as well.
And with all those hammerings above, what about beating United 4-1, Chelsea 5-1 (2002 tbf) and a few other games?

True in part but the lows were very low and overall performance across each season was hardly great.

90/91 - inconsistent but a trophy. 10th.
91/92 - Europe but poor in league. 15th.
92/93 - Mediocre. 8th.
93/94 - Awful. Relegation battle. 15th.
94/95 - half OK season but nothing to show. 7th
95/96 - OK-ish. 8th
96/97 - Mediocre. 10th
97/98 - Awful. Relegation battle. 14th
98/99 - Poor but decent cup run & trophy. 11th
99/00 - Mediocre at best. 10th

The fact that finishing 7/8th was almost seen as positive shows how crap we were.

True in part but the lows were very low and overall performance across each season was hardly great.

92/93 - Mediocre. 8th.
95/96 - OK-ish. 8th
96/97 - Mediocre. 10th

The fact that finishing 7/8th was almost seen as positive shows how crap we were.

You’ve been here long enough to know that the Levy Out agenda drives the historical revisionism whereby the signing of Klinsmann was a once in a lifetime event and the League Cup win in 99 was the absolute apex of football achievement.
Compare your table to 09/10 through 18/19:
4,5,4,5,6, 5,3,2,3,4.
But, yeah, we clearly went backwards under Danny Boy.

92/93 - Mediocre. 8th.
95/96 - OK-ish. 8th
96/97 - Mediocre. 10th

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
I got into football and picked Spurs (through family and Klinmania) in 94/95 aged 13 (hated football as a smaller kid)
Maybe I was young or maybe because it was all new to me, but I sort of enjoyed most of it.
I also remember at that point supporting a club that had won the FA Cup only 3 years ago and was the record winner of said cup, rather than 32 years ago and having been passed by 3 rivals.
Time can change feelings I think.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
I got into football and picked Spurs (through family and Klinmania) in 94/95 aged 13 (hated football as a smaller kid)
Maybe I was young or maybe because it was all new to me, but I sort of enjoyed most of it.
I also remember at that point supporting a club that had won the FA Cup only 3 years ago and was the record winner of said cup, rather than 32 years ago and having been passed by 3 rivals.
Time can change feelings I think.
Not answering that first one directly as I can’t bring myself to type it (!) … but I have been going to matches since 1989/90. Went to almost everything in the 90s as a member and then STH. Back then a member could get almost any away game apart from goons and all the home matches. At times, it was utterly miserable at WHL and not at all fun. For every occasional surprise win there were plenty of depressing defeats! Away matches were generally fun, even when we were crap, and you got good gallows humour along the way. But when you’re trying to believe that Jose Dominguez is a quality little signing, you know how desperate it is.

Not answering that first one directly as I can’t bring myself to type it (!) … but I have been going to matches since 1989/90. Went to almost everything in the 90s as a member and then STH. Back then a member could get almost any away game apart from goons and all the home matches. At times, it was utterly miserable at WHL and not at all fun. For every occasional surprise win there were plenty of depressing defeats! Away matches were generally fun, even when we were crap, and you got good gallows humour along the way. But when you’re trying to believe that Jose Dominguez is a quality little signing, you know how desperate it is.
I think the age thing is important in the 90s debate.
You had something to compare it to, I didn't.
Finishing 7th and an FA Cup Semi final was as good as it got for me, but failure for fans who watched the decades before.

I actually did believe that for a while.Or maybe it was cas of wanting to...

92/93 - Mediocre. 8th.
95/96 - OK-ish. 8th
96/97 - Mediocre. 10th

Yup, we were bloody awful back then.

Conversely, the terraces were great fun. The gallows humour, the stand banter, and every now and then we'd turn out a jaw dropping performance.

Wins were sweeter back then, as they didn't happen that often, but our support was second to none. If I remember correctly, even back then the season ticket waiting list was around 20k.

Dark days Footballing wise back then, with the odd ray of sunshine coming through. But I remember those years fondly as they brought my brother and me closer together. I made some good friends from the other fans in our block (who sadly I've lost contact with over the years), and walking up to the top of those steps to look out over the pitch never failed to get me excited.

This club has always been about more than the trophies for me, it's been an integral part of my life since I was about 3 years old, when my Dad gave us a commentaries of the double winning season rather than bed time stories. Basically I was Spurs before I even really understood what Football really was.

This then got me thinking about why any of us became Spurs fans in the first place. It certainly wasn't due to an expectation of trophies galore and reflected glory. It wasn't because we were one of the richest clubs in the World.
If any of you are like me, it's because we were THE entertainers. Whatever our league position was, we always knew that the team would play in a style that spoke to us. That's why we always pack our stadium. That's why we have droves waiting for their chance to go there. That's why we have fans all over the globe.

When did filling the trophy cabinet suddenly become more important than that?

Back
Top Bottom