This is concerning to read

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Respect has to be earned, and there are precious few spurs players whom I currently hold much respect for.
Adebayor has zero respect from me, because he is a cunt.

If they gave their wage to everyone who paid to go to that game then I'd respect their "don't shout at me , crybaby self pity" but they ( mostly) wander off, drive home to their penthouse suites & eat unicorn eggs from Angels tits.

Fuck I'm getting bitter :D
Doesn't even have to be their weekly wage. Just the appearance bonuses. Pool that together and we will probably all be able to get a refund for that waste of time and have enough money to buy a CB with more pace than Fazio

It may have been wiser had Adebayor said 'We know the supporters fill the stadium week in week out (give or take a hundred seats here or there), and for the past season and a half we have given those supporters little to really get behind. We know it is our responsibility to get the support behind us but it would be hugely appreciated if, at the next match, the fans could make the stadium a cauldron of noise, and we will continue to do our very best to reciprocate'

Or something like that.

It may have been wiser had Adebayor said 'We know the supporters fill the stadium week in week out (give or take a hundred seats here or there), and for the past season and a half we have given those supporters little to really get behind. We know it is our responsibility to get the support behind us but it would be hugely appreciated if, at the next match, the fans could make the stadium a cauldron of noise, and we will continue to do our very best to reciprocate'

Or something like that.

Too sensible :llorisserious: After reading Ade's comments, I'm not at all surprised with what I've seen on the pitch.

I really don't know if Poch has got what it takes to turn this clusterfuck around, or if we'll just limp along with the odd result from pure individual brilliance (like Chadli's worldly) or a timely slice of luck.

How complicated are the tactics if we can't figure them out after 11 PL games?

In all honesty "we don't understand the gaffers ideas" is a complete cop-out at this point. Either they CAN'T do what they are asked, or they WON'T. Not rocket science.

The boys at Southampton had no problem understanding and implementing them.

Are our players that much more retarded?

Too sensible :llorisserious: After reading Ade's comments, I'm not at all surprised with what I've seen on the pitch.

I really don't know if Poch has got what it takes to turn this clusterfuck around, or if we'll just limp along with the odd result from pure individual brilliance (like Chadli's worldly) or a timely slice of luck.
Poche's own comments are also interesting. But putting the two together gives a very non-narrative friendly picture.

Respect has to be earned, and there are precious few spurs players whom I currently hold much respect for.
Adebayor has zero respect from me, because he is a cunt.
Harsh but Fair

It annoys me when players say this...we dont want to play at home....Pity us please for we are oppressed workers having to ply our trade in an unfriendly atmosphere

What i dont think some of these people realise is that for some football is an escape from the reality that is life. for 90mins you can forget about work etc. I know nothing in life is guaranteed and its not a right any fan should expect for us to win ever game but FFS i just want to see some pride and effort

The cunt can't score away from home either so not sure what he is on about

The boys at Southampton had no problem understanding and implementing them.

Are our players that much more retarded?
Not quite that, but I think that our dressing room is very political, and factionalized after a lot of player and manager turnover. Some guys want to play the system, but can't, either because the others won't, or they physically can't. Some guys can play the system, but won't, figuring that "this too shall pass." Some guys want to, are trying to, but it takes time, and cooperation they're not getting. Put all that together and you get a series of spurts and starts where some people are doing the right thing, some of the time, but not all of the team are doing it all the time. Getting us all onto the same page will be a very gradual process and it's going to involve some suffering along the way.

Not quite that, but I think that our dressing room is very political, and factionalized after a lot of player and manager turnover. Some guys want to play the system, but can't, either because the others won't, or they physically can't. Some guys can play the system, but won't, figuring that "this too shall pass." Some guys want to, are trying to, but it takes time, and cooperation they're not getting. Put all that together and you get a series of spurts and starts where some people are doing the right thing, some of the time, but not all of the team are doing it all the time. Getting us all onto the same page will be a very gradual process and it's going to involve some suffering along the way.
But how difficult is it to get professional players to pressure the opposition? it can be that hard surely

But how difficult is it to get professional players to pressure the opposition? it can be that hard surely
Well, Kane, Eriksen and Townsend were doing that pretty damn relentlessly. If you look at the first half again, they were constantly pressing the Stoke back line, and cutting out a lot passing opportunities (hence the keeper getting a yellow for wasting time). But Capoue wasn't particularly mobile, especially in dropping back between the CB's while the fullbacks went up, and no one at the back was communicating who had the ball, and who had the runner. Some players, not necessarily at the front, either can't be as mobile as needed, or won't be. Going forward, some won't play the vertical balls Poche wants, and prefer to pass sideways (to avoid boos for an unsuccessful ball forward?). Not enough players are willing to move off the ball to make themselves available. How do you fix that? If they'll listen, they'll change over time (some faster than others). If they won't, you're stuck with them until January at the earliest.

That's a dressing room thing, where not everyone is willing or able to be on the same page, and is partly what Adebayor alluded to with his remark about players having to listen to the manager.

As fans, we just have to wait. But I won't be surprised to see a lot of exits in January, and not much coming in, but a few youth team players getting called up instead. Poche clearly prefers to rely on them than the transfer market unless he has no other option.

Let's not forget that most of the squad loves Ade... if he's speaking on behalf of the team, it's probably a collective voice.

Man, I've seen this in a number of places I've worked. There's a guy that's really popular but lazy and friggin useless. Relying on popularity and social skills to cover the fact they do nothing at work... and destroying the place from within.

Right now, I work a 4 day shift and then another guy does the next 4 days. This other guy spends all his time talking, making people laugh, reading newspapers, doesn't do a thing... and then I come in and have all his work to do and then my own. Nothing happens during his stint, excuses and absence whenever something breaks down, but people like him all the same. And then complain to me about things being broken.

Adebeyor's not there to be popular and just because he's liked by the squad, doesn't mean he's a good influence or good for the club.
The club needs winners, a Roy Keane. People to stand up for their opinions, kick some ass and not be worried if it upsets some.

I can't remember who said it, but it is basically "A principled man that stands up for his opinions is gonna upset some people"

If he wasn't such a lazy shit then we wouldn't get on his back! If they came out fighting and looked like they all played their hearts out for the shirt I'm the fans would show appreciation whatever the result. Its watching lazy uninterested over-paid cretins mill about not doing their job that makes fans oppose and unwelcoming

Bingo!

Well, Kane, Eriksen and Townsend were doing that pretty damn relentlessly. If you look at the first half again, they were constantly pressing the Stoke back line, and cutting out a lot passing opportunities (hence the keeper getting a yellow for wasting time). But Capoue wasn't particularly mobile, especially in dropping back between the CB's while the fullbacks went up, and no one at the back was communicating who had the ball, and who had the runner. Some players, not necessarily at the front, either can't be as mobile as needed, or won't be. Going forward, some won't play the vertical balls Poche wants, and prefer to pass sideways (to avoid boos for an unsuccessful ball forward?). Not enough players are willing to move off the ball to make themselves available. How do you fix that? If they'll listen, they'll change over time (some faster than others). If they won't, you're stuck with them until January at the earliest.

That's a dressing room thing, where not everyone is willing or able to be on the same page, and is partly what Adebayor alluded to with his remark about players having to listen to the manager.

As fans, we just have to wait. But I won't be surprised to see a lot of exits in January, and not much coming in, but a few youth team players getting called up instead. Poche clearly prefers to rely on them than the transfer market unless he has no other option.
So seems like the younger players are willing to listen and do as the manager asks but not the more senior players. I always wondered if giving Ade the Vice captaincy was a ploy to get him onside. Im not saying that he is a trouble maker but he really seems not to care. I never wanted him at spurs he is a mercenary only playing for contracts.

So seems like the younger players are willing to listen and do as the manager asks but not the more senior players. I always wondered if giving Ade the Vice captaincy was a ploy to get him onside. Im not saying that he is a trouble maker but he really seems not to care. I never wanted him at spurs he is a mercenary only playing for contracts.
I think Ade has seen enough stuff to know that the fans ultimately don't matter; and that football clubs are generally about the show. He's also going to make sure he takes care of himself because no one else will, and he's resolved to enjoy his life because he's seen how short it can be (he saw three of his teammates murdered). Does that make him a mercenary? Perhaps. I wouldn't sign him, but I can understand some of his mentality I think.

Definitely think Poch tried to learn from AVB's wrongs and got the two biggest and closest personalities onside with his captaincy choices (Kaboul and Ade seen many times joking around together in spurs vids, both ice-bucketted Levy). Big mistake! Damned if you do damned if you dont at Tottenham
:pochfacepalm::avbcringe:

Definitely think Poch tried to learn from AVB's wrongs and got the two biggest and closest personalities onside with his captaincy choices (Kaboul and Ade seen many times joking around together in spurs vids, both ice-bucketted Levy). Big mistake! Damned if you do damned if you dont at Tottenham
:pochfacepalm::avbcringe:
Well, if you can't ship them out, what else do you do with them? It's a very complicated dressing room.

I think Ade has seen enough stuff to know that the fans ultimately don't matter; and that football clubs are generally about the show. He's also going to make sure he takes care of himself because no one else will, and he's resolved to enjoy his life because he's seen how short it can be (he saw three of his teammates murdered). Does that make him a mercenary? Perhaps. I wouldn't sign him, but I can understand some of his mentality I think.
True i suppose but was he not also like that before the bus attack? but i suppose we knew what we were buying. But you know what the really sad your first line speaks for a hell of a lot of premiership players

Man, I've seen this in a number of places I've worked. There's a guy that's really popular but lazy and friggin useless. Relying on popularity and social skills to cover the fact they do nothing at work... and destroying the place from within.

Right now, I work a 4 day shift and then another guy does the next 4 days. This other guy spends all his time talking, making people laugh, reading newspapers, doesn't do a thing... and then I come in and have all his work to do and then my own. Nothing happens during his stint, excuses and absence whenever something breaks down, but people like him all the same. And then complain to me about things being broken.

Adebeyor's not there to be popular and just because he's liked by the squad, doesn't mean he's a good influence or good for the club.
The club needs winners, a Roy Keane. People to stand up for their opinions, kick some ass and not be worried if it upsets some.

I can't remember who said it, but it is basically "A principled man that stands up for his opinions is gonna upset some people"

Used to sit next to one of those types, I get what you mean, all show no trousers, they are the first to run and hide and are only good at trying to blame you for their own lazyiness. Thankfully he is gone and I now work next to someone who wants to work now. Interesting thing about the popular lazy types is that they are good at fooling the naive and gullable.

Back
Top Bottom