Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we had a proper striker this guy would have a silly amount of assists. He'll skin whoever he's up against every time just need an intelligent striker in there to get on to the balls that get put across.

Eh I mean sort of .. he has struggled against some of the better teams we’ve played. He’s very good at skinning most full backs in the league but when his one move (kick it past player and then cross it low) doesn’t work he’s pretty much ineffective.

Teams will work it out very soon, if they haven’t already, and assists from that will drop off imo.

Eh I mean sort of .. he has struggled against some of the better teams we’ve played. He’s very good at skinning most full backs in the league but when his one move (kick it past player and then cross it low) doesn’t work he’s pretty much ineffective.

Teams will work it out very soon, if they haven’t already, and assists from that will drop off imo.
He's not been perfect but I haven't really seen anybody yet beat him to the ball once he's pushed it past them and that'swith them knowing he'sgoing to fo that. That's also on his weaker foot. I think you'd see a more consistent delivery from him on his stronger foot.

beats men as easy as lennon did. you cant stop him getting to the byline. its down to his team mates to then get in the box and around the keeper so a simple ball in from his left will then cause havoc.

I think he's easily been our most consistent forward player since he came in. But that says more about our attacking options than it does about him, endorsed even more by the fact that RBL didn't even use him, meaning a BL club that isn't Bayern has much better attacking options than we do.

I think he's easily been our most consistent forward player since he came in. But that says more about our attacking options than it does about him, endorsed even more by the fact that RBL didn't even use him, meaning a BL club that isn't Bayern has much better attacking options than we do.

It doesn’t necessarily mean that. I think he suits the way Ange wants to use wingers really well, it’s pretty clear Ange fucking loves pace .. hence why he wanted Johnson. And he’s essentially got him not thinking and just whipping the same ball in repeatedly whilst keeping him from doing the shooting bit of an attacker as much as possible.

Werner is a player who is absolutely shit when he has time to think. Get him using his best asset and doing the same move and it pretty much is working. I honestly don’t watch Leipzig much but maybe whoever coaches them doesn’t use their wide players like this, and the other option is him leading the line .. and frankly fuck that, because he would be terrible at doing so here as well.

Must sign.
It's a damn near guarantee, IMO, especially for the price.

The question is whether he'll be happy seeing less minutes per game than he is right now, because I still think we'll look for a better winger to come in on top. Then again, it's looking like we'll have European fixtures to consider, too.

For 15 million, I think we should keep him. He's a solid rotation player.

We'll need depth for European games next season and inevitable injuries.

Credit where it's due - I just read this and it seems you said it all first!

:freund:

The question is whether he'll be happy seeing less minutes per game than he is right now, because I still think we'll look for a better winger to come in on top. Then again, it's looking like we'll have European fixtures to consider, too.

Well, he's got a goal or assist every 100 minutes since he's arrived. He never stops running, has a great attitude, plays well under pressure and seems to fit perfectly in the system that Ange wants to play.

How many players available on the market that would put him on our bench?

The best thing he’s been able to do for us is run at the fullback and get crosses in with his left after beating his man. His finishing still leaves a lot to be desired. He has also really struggled to link up with Udogie and get the best out of him. Destiny is constantly running beyond him and the pass is on, but Werner doesn’t have the ability or vision to play him. Needs a bit of work there. Overall he’s been a good signing.

Well, he's got a goal or assist every 100 minutes since he's arrived. He never stops running, has a great attitude, plays well under pressure and seems to fit perfectly in the system that Ange wants to play.

How many players available on the market that would put him on our bench?
I mean, I agree! I think that what we need from him actually suits his abilities/firing blanks in front of goal. Ange and co definitely brought him in knowing his limitations but knowing that his strengths play to the system. Seems a nice lad too, and good for the dressing room.

Something that crossed my mind watching the match today is that Werner just looks 'right' in lilywhite. It's kind of the long way around, considering I thought he was mustard at Leipzig and was initially jealous of Chelsea when they got him, but I like him here.

Something that crossed my mind watching the match today is that Werner just looks 'right' in lilywhite. It's kind of the long way around, considering I thought he was mustard at Leipzig and was initially jealous of Chelsea when they got him, but I like him here.
I like him way before he went to chelscum so I was utterly disappointed when he did. But also seemed like a blessing perhaps knowing how terrible his finishing was since then that we can now get him for pennies.

Pace and acceleration don’t get figured out.

He can cut into his right foot as well.

I don’t want him to be a star forward next season but we have to sign him for one of the 6 spots. That’s not even a debate now

Close with Johnson

Not always about better. Could be about fit. But I’d take Simons in a heartbeat

If we buy him, we'd still need someone better in the role. He's a squad player and no more at the moment, but I'd like him as that - but that's his current level. To have Werner in the first team would be accepting a further lack of serious ambition. No team above us would have Werner as a starter - why should we?

Last edited:
The only reason I wouldn't buy him is players generally do better on loan when they need to play for a contract. If we sign him it should be for 1 year with a finishing clause or something.

If we buy him, we'd still need someone better in the role. He's a squad player and no more at the moment, but I'd like him as that - but that's his current level. To have Werner in the first team would be accepting a further lack of serious ambition. No team above us would have Werner as a starter - why should we?
Exactly - he's fine for the price too (will he be prepared to take a hit on wages?) but we should be looking to sign TW permanently as well as another forward.

His movement and anticipation when getting into attacking positions is really good,just a shame his finishing is poor.Whenever he plays he really makes things happen.
He has no anticipation when getting into attacking positions. He doesn’t sniff chances out and where the ball is going to go. He’s reactive to chances than proactive and then it’s too late. You can see why he isn’t a goalscorer. He’s such a mixed bag. In 10 mins of a game he can be brilliant,terrible,class,utter shit,strong and weak. He’s so frustrating but I’d take him as a back up because in our system he’s a threat and does create chances.

Back
Top Bottom