Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's not as good as Perisic, even at Perisic's older age.

Surely we want to improve not regress.

I don't think we should be buying players because they're available at a good price.

What does he actually bring to the team apart from pace?

I don't think we should be buying players because they're available at a good price.

Hmm not sure about that tbh.

Werner has produced consistent goal involvements since he's come in. Over a full season, I'd expect G+As per min to be higher for Werner than Perisic. He has more pace as well. Perisic was class but also anonymous fairly often.

Doesn't he simply out pace them? I'm not seeing any step overs or tricks etc, it's just running fast.

He's actually known for his poor finishing, and he's not switched on when the ball is crossed in from the right.
Yes, yes and yes. Still, if he just switches on for the crosses from the right then he's a good enough fit for Angeball for me

Hmm not sure about that tbh.

Werner has produced consistent goal involvements since he's come in. Over a full season, I'd expect G+As per min to be higher for Werner than Perisic. He has more pace as well. Perisic was class but also anonymous fairly often.
The quality of Perisic's crosses is far better than Werner's.

I'd liken Werner to Moura but on the other flank but not as good at dribbling than Moura.

For a starter position you're right but I'm hoping he will bought as backup.

He is effective in this system so it's not as if we are buying him just for the sake of it (if we buy him)

His crossing and dribbling are certainly upper premier league level. He's experienced, fit and has a good attitude.
He's a perfectly good enough signing to replace Perisic/Solomon/ Gil in the squad and has shown he'll contribute goals and assists. Of course we also need another elite forward for next season.

His crossing and dribbling are certainly upper premier league level. He's experienced, fit and has a good attitude.
He's a perfectly good enough signing to replace Perisic/Solomon/ Gil in the squad and has shown he'll contribute goals and assists. Of course we also need another elite forward for next season.
Why are we talking about replacing squad players. We should be signing players to compete for the first team say if we signed both Williams and Bakayoko two young hungry players that could turn into world class players. The fact is we should sign the best we can. If we think Werner will compete every week for a starting position then I am happy to sign him.

Why is he so cheap in the transfer market then?

Do we think we're getting a £50m player for £15mil?

Smells like Levy involvement to me.

I'd liken Werner to Moura but on the other flank but not as good at dribbling than Moura.
Yes Perisic was an elite crosser, a shame he's so close to retirement.

Werner is more consistent than Moura I'd say, with more end product so far. Not dissimilar though, agreed.

Because...it's a squad game.
That is the exact reason to not sign him. He will want at least 100k a week and a 3 year deal. He will take up one of our 17 trained abroad slots next season. Including Werner we currently have 18 players trained abroad for UEFA competitions.

Even if we sell Hobjerg, Gil, Solomon and Werner’s loan ends. That means we have 3 spaces.

If we buy 4 players in the summer one of them will have to be home grown.

That is the exact reason to not sign him. He will want at least 100k a week and a 3 year deal. He will take up one of our 17 trained abroad slots next season. Including Werner we currently have 18 players trained abroad for UEFA competitions.

Even if we sell Hobjerg, Gil, Solomon and Werner’s loan ends. That means we have 3 spaces.

If we buy 4 players in the summer one of them will have to be home grown.
That seems fine? We need more home grown players either way. Have to assume Sessegnon will go sooner or later too.

I wouldn't shed a single tear if Werner isn't signed , I just think he's a decent player to keep and an improvement on Solomon and Gil, and already settled and contributing.

That seems fine? We need more home grown players either way. Have to assume Sessegnon will go sooner or later too.

I wouldn't shed a single tear if Werner isn't signed , I just think he's a decent player to keep and an improvement on Solomon and Gil, and already settled and contributing.
I am not against the signing but everyone is saying we should sign him as a squad player. I think he has to earn the transfer and if he comes in he has to compete to start. It is not about price tag on a player it should be about performance.

Depends on which crosses.

the cut back in right foot cross that Perisic has is world class. Up there with De Bruyne and his both footed ness was class. Werner has more pace and bursts of acceleration. He gets past his man to the by-line 2-3x per game and fizzes across great low crosses with his left. Perisic wasn't doing that anymore.

Depends on which crosses.

the cut back in right foot cross that Perisic has is world class. Up there with De Bruyne and his both footed ness was class. Werner has more pace and bursts of acceleration. He gets past his man to the by-line 2-3x per game and fizzes across great low crosses with his left. Perisic wasn't doing that anymore.
I'd say the way to improve the team is to get players that are better than we already have. Werner to me seemed like an emergency back up due to Perisic being injured.

It just so happened that we sold Kane, so Son more often than not is the CF, Perisic shared the left side with Richarlison for the most part before he got injured.

So then we got Werner on loan to fill that gap, he's done in my opinion ok, so we have an ok Left winger/left side forward.

I don't see a forward line of Werner Richarlison Johnson getting more than 20 goals between them (if Son gets injured). I can see Johnson improving but Werner is in his prime (28) and even at that he's a bit meh.

I'd say the way to improve the team is to get players that are better than we already have. Werner to me seemed like an emergency back up due to Perisic being injured.

It just so happened that we sold Kane, so Son more often than not is the CF, Perisic shared the left side with Richarlison for the most part before he got injured.

So then we got Werner on loan to fill that gap, he's done in my opinion ok, so we have an ok Left winger/left side forward.

I don't see a forward line of Werner Richarlison Johnson getting more than 20 goals between them (if Son gets injured). I can see Johnson improving but Werner is in his prime (28) and even at that he's a bit meh.

Werner can help us win games in the premier league, he's proven that. He's already won the Champions League and started in the final I think.

That's all I care about.

Is he a star player as a forward like Son or like Johnson might be in a year or 2? No! but can he help us win the biggest trophies in club football? Objectively yes.

Werner can help us win games in the premier league, he's proven that. He's already won the Champions League and started in the final I think.
In that case we should play him every game and not worry about filling that position anymore?

After all he once played in a Champions League team that won.

Back
Top Bottom