Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't kid yourself. It's all to do with how much money Ange is given to spend. Ange or any other manager would have preferred someone like Doku over Timo.

You're genuinely over optimistic how good Werner is, on the evidence of last season and his time at chelsea.

Time will tell.

You may well be right, although quantifying average is often a matter of subjectivity.

As Werner is ours, I hope he has a blinding season..

An absolute no brainer. Why some of people here wanted CHO ahead of Werner is beyond me... For a squad depth option we could do much worse than him.
I’m not saying CHO what we should be aiming g for but not is timo. Why is it a no brainer. We haven’t given ourselves time to even consider alternatives and jumped straight for him a RB reject who don’t want him and do linked his full wages. Which work out at £8.5M for the year. CHO at least would have filled a HG place which we are now linked with Edwards. He can play both left and right. Scored a decent amount of goals last season. Is younger as well. Out of the two I’d prbly prefer CHO. What Timo show to get another 12 months. Again there is a reason why RB don’t want him and don’t want to pay his wages. He also bottles challenges or really going for a ball.

Reserve your judgement until the window is closed.

If Werner is our worst option at LW then we've upgraded the squad.

Solomon and Gil will be gone.

He has a 1 in 3 GA, and although his finishing is woeful, is a good option.

His 2 goals and 3 assists came in just 800-odd minutes too.

If it's the only business at LW then yeah, it's a safe and uninspiring choice. But there's like 3 months before the window closes.
He has 1 in 163 min played GA. better than Maddison.

We signed 7 new players permanently last summer (Maddison, Johnson, Solomon, VDV, Vicario + Veliz and Phillips) plus options on Kulu and Porro.

So Werner plus another 5 is completely feasible (especially since we haven't paid a fee for him) and I would even say likely.

Finally, your point was that we would start next season with Son, Richy and Johnson as our starting forwards which means you think we won't even sign 1 starting forward (never mind two).

I predict:

LW: Werner (Loan) - Free
CF: Richy Cover - 25-30m
RW: Starting winger - 60-70m
CM 1: Gallagher - 40m
CM 2: Creative type - 30-40m
CB/RB: Young punt - 20-30m

Total: 210m at the high end

Raise 60m with the sales of:
PEH, Gio, Emerson, Gil, Solomon,

Net spend 150m gives you (insert whichever targets you fancy):

Son - Richy - Raphina
(Werner) -- (Guirassey) -- (Johnson)
Maddison -- Gallagher
(Baena/Kulu) -- (Sarr/Bergvall)
Biss
(Bentancur)
Udogie -- VDV -- Romero -- Porro
(Davies) -- (Calafori) -- (Dragusin) -- (Skipp)
Vicario

Does that make us title challengers? No but it is a much more balanced squad with more variety in attack and more cover everywhere.

I think our biggest issue is that you're not winning titles with Son/Richy starting but that is not a problem we will solve this summer.

Next season should be about winning a cup, returning to CL football and lining up the Son successor.
But Ange wants to win the title? We could have got CL football this season it was well within our grasp but Ange flippantly dismissed it as being a target essentially and his tactics / player selection cost us points.

son and werner is a weak left side. one cant hit a barn door and the other doesn't have the brain to play against a side sitting in.

we need the wide players to have natural ability in the wide areas. a lot of sides sit in against us now, weve struggled against this for years. you need real natural quality to break that down if your aim is to play through them like this manager seems to want. the other way is to get numbers in the box and flood the box with the ball over and over, which will cause them to actually come out to stop the cross at source..but we dont do that either.
Spot on! So a proper club with ambition would have done this:
We had / have 3 left sided wide players namely Perri, Solomon and Gil with Perri swapped out for Timo on jan.
Wages for the 3 players in total say £250K/week.
Sell all 3 and don’t renew Timo’s loan.
Go and get a proper skilful left sided player with real quality. You will then have son and said player to compete for left side. Add in some academy players for cup games.
That is what we should have done not get timo on loan for £165K as squad player and being an improvement on Gil who hardly played. I bet Timo had more minutes in the PL than Gil has had in the 3 years we have had him. So his not really a replacement for Gil as a squad option.

Ill give Werner the benefit of the doubt because of his german league form. I think he has potential to come good and find his shooting boots if he can find a bit of form and confidence and go on a run/get some games under his belt.

Secondly Gil and Solomon will most likely be gone so it makes some sense to retain him.

All this comes down to what happens with incomings though.
Where is this form coming from? He has been at RB two seasons since leaving chavs I think and even they have given up on him.

Still more points (goals+assists) per playing time than Maddison.
This stats thing is simply not worth looking at. Maddison gets on the ball a whole more and generally gets things moving by making passes out from midfield to say a Werner or Johnson who then have 50 attempts to put a decent cross in which one might end as a goal. I’d like to stats where it’s shows how many crosses players make, if it finds a team mate or leads to a goal.
Looking at stats like G/A is misleading. Some of them may have come from a transition and not against low block teams where are trying to break them down. Also how many times do our wide players get the ball and just simply passes it backwards.

This stats thing is simply not worth looking at. Maddison gets on the ball a whole more and generally gets things moving by making passes out from midfield to say a Werner or Johnson who then have 50 attempts to put a decent cross in which one might end as a goal. I’d like to stats where it’s shows how many crosses players make, if it finds a team mate or leads to a goal.
Looking at stats like G/A is misleading. Some of them may have come from a transition and not against low block teams where are trying to break them down. Also how many times do our wide players get the ball and just simply passes it backwards.
But it is. It doesn't matter how many times Maddison gets on the ball if we never score as a result of it. It's hard to argue that contributing to goals is wasted. But you are probably right that it's a bad comparison.

But Ange wants to win the title? We could have got CL football this season it was well within our grasp but Ange flippantly dismissed it as being a target essentially and his tactics / player selection cost us points.
Completely taken out of context.

He was implying fourth is not the ceiling they are aiming for!

Like it or not, he is in the squad next season. His finishing is poor but his pace can terrorise defences and open opportunities for others to score.

I liked his contributions thus far and thought, in a largely malfunctioning attacking unit, he was quite effective.

He may not be an automatic starter next season but he will be a very useful squad player. I'm happy we have him.

I like his attitude and his obvious desire to do well for us. I hope the season goes well for him

Back
Top Bottom