Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was wary about signing him permanently because the last thing the squad needs is another Lo Celso and Werner isn't likely to be anything other than a rotation option. The fact that we're getting him on another loan with an option to buy for £8.5m definitely sweetens the pot. At worst, we've got someone who could do a reasonable job for us in the Europa League and domestic cup fixtures; at best, we get to sign a top tier player for £8.5m if he finds his form.
We must get away from this thinking that we have players for the PL and different players for the cups. Ange uses 16 players in most matches and Werner will probably be on the bench when all are fit. We should treat the Europa Cup in the same way we would have if we qualified for CL. Rotate and pick players for the match. If the team we are playing in the Europa is stronger than the team we are playing the following week in the PL then play the stronger team in the Europa.

For years we have played weaker teams in the cups and this is why we have not won a trophy. We must take the cups seriously or we will never lift a trophy and the humiliation of failure will continue. I do not want to continually be chasing just the so called top 4 trophy and we need to win a trophy. Other top teams win cups including MU this year.
With the number of matches we will be playing this year rotation is a must and we should be resting 1/2 players when playing teams at the bottom of the PL.

I was wary about signing him permanently because the last thing the squad needs is another Lo Celso and Werner isn't likely to be anything other than a rotation option. The fact that we're getting him on another loan with an option to buy for £8.5m definitely sweetens the pot. At worst, we've got someone who could do a reasonable job for us in the Europa League and domestic cup fixtures; at best, we get to sign a top tier player for £8.5m if he finds his form.

The option to buy is still approx. £15m; as it was last time.

........£8.5m is his wages (w/no loan fee req'd).

Last edited:
IMO Werner is reasonable squad signing which might mean departures of both Gil and Solomon - he's an upgrade on both and scores more and creates more assists than either- with Werner being one of two left wing options, the other being Son.

That then frees up a space to bring in another striker, to add more goals/assists, so our forwards look like :

Son/Werner, Richarlison/New guy, Johnson/Kulusevski

Mikey Moore will probably make a few first team appearances - he can play left wing, the number of appearances will depend on how he takes to playing in the first team, but might well only be 6 or 10, mainly off the bench. But that plus playing in u21's will potentially set him up for playing in more fixtures in the following season, 2025/26.

I do wonder if Ange will select another forward playing youngster to integrate into the squad to cover some of the other forward positions - the idea being both help to develop youngsters but also allow more resilience against injuries which Ange's high energy tactics can lead to and allow more rotation etc to rest players. Which youngster this is will be after Ange has seen them in pre-season matches

The option to buy is still approx. £15m; as it was last time.

........£8.5m is his wages (w/no loan fee req'd).
Pretty sure it's dropped to 10M Euro (£8.5M):

So if we do decide to sign him we effectively get 6.5M of his 8.5M wages back compared to the original deal

Not to kickstart the excuse making, but:

And that £87M loss was with UEFA income. 2023-24 reports are going to a very rude awakening.

Most big clubs make operational losses.

How much did the equity of the club appreciate during 2023-24. Considering the equity markets globally, inflation through the roof and the club being based in London, the equity appreciation in a year was almost certainly more than 90m.

I get that he's wanted to bring in investors, same way he wanted to sell the stadium naming rights. If he was really worried about that operational loss,he'd have taken some of the offers that might not have been at hos valuation.

Ooooo the 4th in the 5 year net spend table.
We Cookin Lets Go GIF by Joel Byars

That anyone has these stats to hand is genuinely souls crushing.
You're laughing now mate but you wait until we've won the net spend title, it'll completely change our club for the good! :levyeyes:

Most big clubs make operational losses.

How much did the equity of the club appreciate during 2023-24. Considering the equity markets globally, inflation through the roof and the club being based in London, the equity appreciation in a year was almost certainly more than 90m.

I get that he's wanted to bring in investors, same way he wanted to sell the stadium naming rights. If he was really worried about that operational loss,he'd have taken some of the offers that might not have been at hos valuation.
Think I had the stadium rights debate with one of his shady cheerleaders here a while back.

I don't buy the idea that "The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" and £0 is better for the club than "The Spotify Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" and £50m

But that's what the great Daniel is telling us.

Think I had the stadium rights debate with one of his shady cheerleaders here a while back.

I don't buy the idea that "The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" and £0 is better for the club than "The Spotify Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" and £50m

But that's what the great Daniel is telling us.

It would be called The Spotify stadium. No mention of Tottenham.

You know like The Emirates, The Amex, The John Smiths stadium, The Bet365 stadium etc etc

Pretty shrewd deal imo. I’ll be disappointed if he turns out to be a starter but someone of his ilk, for less than €10m potentially, coming from the bench is not a bad deal. Do need someone much better starting though

You’re comparing us with Barca now?

Fuck me that’s reaching. Do you live on planet earth? Or are you too high most of the time for the thing known as reality!!
No, it's the principle of selling naming rights:

- whatever the sponsor wants: most £
- sponsor name plus ground name: some £
- ground name: zero £

Where there's a value exchange, there's a deal to be done ...

Levy would have us believe the third option is the best.

Because he's overvalued the asset

I think Werner has lacked the belief that managers/coaches believe in him, hence some of the frenetic, almost anxious attempts at goal.

Postecoglou, in what we must believe is a sanctioned extension of the loan deal, is showing Werner confidence amd trust in his ability.

I genuinely think Werner will do well next season, injuries permitting.

Postecoglou, in what we must believe is a sanctioned extension of the loan deal, is showing Werner confidence amd trust in his ability.

I genuinely think Werner will do well next season
Don't kid yourself. It's all to do with how much money Ange is given to spend. Ange or any other manager would have preferred someone like Doku over Timo.

You're genuinely over optimistic how good Werner is, on the evidence of last season and his time at chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom