Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The ironic thing is that no matter how bad Dier and Sanchez can be, the worst performance I've ever seen by a Spurs defender was Toby against Villa last season.

In his last 3 Premier League starts, we've kept cleansheets.

West Brom (2-0)
Burnley (4-0)
Fulham (1-0)

Not entirely sure why we dropped him for the two big games between all those (Man City and West Ham) but it's good to see him back in there.

In his last 3 Premier League starts, we've kept cleansheets.

West Brom (2-0)
Burnley (4-0)
Fulham (1-0)

Not entirely sure why we dropped him for the two big games between all those (Man City and West Ham) but it's good to see him back in there.
If we´re able to play him once a week, Toby will perform as a top CB. Especially if we play him alongside a strong player, dominant in the air - which right now we simply don´t have.

Liverpool 2-1 ball deflects off Toby they score
Leicester 2-0 ball deflects off Toby OG they score
Everton 5-4 ball goes through he’s legs doesn’t make the block they score
woolwich 2-1 ball deflects through he’s legs they score

A bit of a pattern emerging.
I don’t know what it is speed concentration anticipation or whatever, but it seems like he’s a step or two behind where he should be occasionally which costs goals.

Liverpool 2-1 ball deflects off Toby they score
Leicester 2-0 ball deflects off Toby OG they score
Everton 5-4 ball goes through he’s legs doesn’t make the block they score
woolwich 2-1 ball deflects through he’s legs they score

A bit of a pattern emerging.
I don’t know what it is speed concentration anticipation or whatever, but it seems like he’s a step or two behind where he should be occasionally which costs goals.
He can't move his legs anymore.

Still a good defender but the athlete on him is failing. Honestly think in the summer he could be moved on to a less physically league
if we could keep him as third choice i would like that. but i agree, unfortunately on an athletic standpoint hes lacking a fair bit now. would be useful in the lower to mid games though especially as an option to give one of the main CB's a game rest

if we could keep him as third choice i would like that. but i agree, unfortunately on an athletic standpoint hes lacking a fair bit now. would be useful in the lower to mid games though especially as an option to give one of the main CB's a game rest

Third choice would be great but how are we getting two CBs better than him in one window? Especially with Levy and if we keep Jose as manager?

Outside of City and maybe Liverpool and Leicester nobody has two CBs better than Toby in the league. It will be tough to replace him with zero options already on the team anywhere close to replacing him.

Third choice would be great but how are we getting two CBs better than him in one window? Especially with Levy and if we keep Jose as manager?

Outside of City and maybe Liverpool and Leicester nobody has two CBs better than Toby in the league. It will be tough to replace him with zero options already on the team anywhere close to replacing him.
well thats down to the scouts to do their jobs. there must be a bunch out there. toby is not the same player as he was 3 years ago..he might be our best defender but thats not saying much..we are criminally weak in defence now

well thats down to the scouts to do their jobs. there must be a bunch out there. toby is not the same player as he was 3 years ago..he might be our best defender but thats not saying much..we are criminally weak in defence now

I would say he is not only our best defender but would also make every teams starting 11 outside of City, Leicester and probably Liverpool, although I personally think Gomez is wildly overrated.

Yes it is the scouts job and I think that my lack of confidence in them should indicate we should change them not expect less, but looking at the CB's we have bought and that Jose likes I have zero confidence that we are getting anything close to good enough to replace Toby.

Back
Top Bottom