Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

giphy.gif

I'd say there's something to this story, generally speaking sports hacks with a decent reputation don't make up stories out of absolutely nowhere down the pub as fans seem to think, at least not if they're going to put their name to it. Journalism is a precarious business nowadays and if Matt Law became well known for making shit up for the #bantz his standing would suffer and he wouldn't be half as employable if the sack-happy Telegraph let him go i.e. he'd want to go to the Times, Guardian or Mail, not the Star, and for a decent salary.

So someone somewhere has told him something, an agent, someone at Spurs or at a club who have been alerted to his reluctance to sign a new contract, could be anyone.

If you remember, people were posting the same stuff about it all just being paper talk for both Bale and Walker, to cite two recent high-profile examples.

None of us know obviously, but Pochettino's rather odd reaction to a pretty innocuous question at the press conference seemed out of character for him

I don't agree that we haven't missed him. But I do think we've managed incredibly well. Still at times where Sanchez has looked dodgy but we've got away with it. Liverpool away, Woolwich at home right at the end, West Brom at home etc.

It would be a shame if he left.

None of us know obviously, but Pochettino's rather odd reaction to a pretty innocuous question at the press conference seemed out of character for him

To be honest, I understand why Poch is unhappy with the question. He's getting fed up with the media only ever wanting to talk about transfers. Nobody asks him about football anymore. He's sitting there, having just beaten Woolwich in a match where we should have put 5 or 6 past them and kept a clean sheet and the journo doesn't ask him about tactics etc.

He said in the interview on the BBC for Football Focus, that he is obsessed with football, watches loads of matches, has transformed Tottenham as a club and all anybody ever wants to ask him, is when he will be going to Madrid, will he take Kane with him to Madrid, why are all of his players dirty diving cheats and when will we finally sell the whole squad and just shut the gates and all go to watch Real Madrid instead. In the meantime Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho cannot put a foot wrong.

To be honest, I understand why Poch is unhappy with the question. He's getting fed up with the media only ever wanting to talk about transfers. Nobody asks him about football anymore. He's sitting there, having just beaten Woolwich in a match where we should have put 5 or 6 past them and kept a clean sheet and the journo doesn't ask him about tactics etc.

He said in the interview on the BBC for Football Focus, that he is obsessed with football, watches loads of matches, has transformed Tottenham as a club and all anybody ever wants to ask him, is when he will be going to Madrid, will he take Kane with him to Madrid, why are all of his players dirty diving cheats and when will we finally sell the whole squad and just shut the gates and all go to watch Real Madrid instead. In the meantime Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho cannot put a foot wrong.
Yeah, we'd just won the derby and all someone was interested in was why didn't he pick Alderweireld...that would piss anybody off. It was disrespectful to both him and Sanchez.

I don't agree that we haven't missed him. But I do think we've managed incredibly well. Still at times where Sanchez has looked dodgy but we've got away with it. Liverpool away, Woolwich at home right at the end, West Brom at home etc.

It would be a shame if he left.
If we were lucky enough to reach a CL final I'd trust toby more than sanchez.
Sanchez has done well but toby is still the better player.
Personally I am siding towards him going for his 1 big last contract & to win some big trophies which he won't get here.
But hope I am pleasantly surprised & read he has signed a new deal. Fingers crossed! Love the toby & jan partnership!
But we would move on without him if he did go.

But that is what the media are like. They aren't worth getting worked up over.

He will leave, would have signed a contract by now if he wanted to stay. He has brought into the media crap that players need to leave spurs to earn money (he currently earns in a week what I would earn in 2 to 3 years, he will earn in a couple of months what I will earn in my entire life). Hopefully the next tv contract doesn't bring in the extra billions, and a little bit of reality comes back into football. Go and play for a soulless club like man city, full your pockets with slush money, be content that rather than owning one ferrari you can have three or four. We are better off without you.

Just a little bit of help for John Thomas John Thomas kingdawson kingdawson Essexyido94 Essexyido94
With Alderweireld
Played 14
W 8 (57%)
D 3 (22%)
L 3 (22%)

Without Alderweireld
Played 24
W 15 (63%)
D 6 (25%)
L 3 (12.5%)
Its a bit cheeky to say we haven't missed him when loads of people say we miss lamela. Each to their own but I'd say he's better & more important than lamela.
If lamela wouldn't sign then a lot of those people would change their stance & say we haven't missed him. It was like walker was suddenly 2nd rate & not as good as trippier when it came out walker was leaving.

I would think poch would love toby to stay & wouldn't agree that we don't miss him.
Also, our record without kane's still good, doesn't mean we don't miss him.

Then when the next one wants out? Sorry, but what kind of statement does this make to Harry, Dele and the rest. If we keep caving in and taking the money when a player wants out we'll probably always end up one step short or second best.
Once again we just had the biggest attendance in Europe this weekend. I reckon we've reached the stage where we should now be capable of keeping our best players. IF toby wants out, we need to address the reasons why. Not just roll over and take the highest bid.
The stadium is the single biggest thing we are doing to "address the reasons why". How has this not even sunk in yet?

i dont want to lose him. I personally think it's because of Diers versatility matched with his 3 month lay off that played a part.

If he is off, I feel happy we have two of the best young centrebacks in our squad to come in and soften the blow if he is off. Sell him to Barca or Bayern in a swap deal plus cash if it is the case

i dont want to lose him. I personally think it's because of Diers versatility matched with his 3 month lay off that played a part.

If he is off, I feel happy we have two of the best young centrebacks in our squad to come in and soften the blow if he is off. Sell him to Barca or Bayern in a swap deal plus cash if it is the case
He is a great player but as you said, we have great young players coming up, and we can always replace Toby should he leave.

To expect every player in the squad to stick around forever is a bit blue eyed. I get that we want every player to want to play for Tottenham but it isn't going to happen. We'll enjoy him while he sticks around and once he goes then that is that. He's 28 turning 29 so we have had him during what will arguably be his peak years.

Obviously I hope he re-signs and sticks around a bit longer but I am not going to cry my eyes out if he doesn't.

This doesn't even factor in that we are mid season so it isn't like he can up sticks and move on Wednesday.

Its a bit cheeky to say we haven't missed him when loads of people say we miss lamela. Each to their own but I'd say he's better & more important than lamela.
If lamela wouldn't sign then a lot of those people would change their stance & say we haven't missed him. It was like walker was suddenly 2nd rate & not as good as trippier when it came out walker was leaving.
I would think poch would love him to say & wouldn't agree we don't miss him.
I haven't mentioned Lamela once, why bring him up?

Just stating facts, our performances have been better this season when he's not played compared to results when he has played. I'll add, because I'll be accused of saying he's shit by saying that, I think he's one of the Best CB's in World football but that doesn't change the facts on comparative results this season.

Yeah it would feel a lot better if he went abroad. Barca could do with him.
Id rather we sold him in the summer than just let him run down his contract. We know poch doesn't play players if their hearts not in it. So we may as well get him off our wage bill & get some ££ for him/ good player swap.

I haven't mentioned Lamela once, why bring him up?

Just stating facts, our performances have been better this season when he's not played compared to results when he has played. I'll add, because I'll be accused of saying he's shit by saying that, I think he's one of the Best CB's in World football but that doesn't change the facts on comparative results this season.
To show you how fans change what they genuinely believe to suit what's happening.
Like how overnight walker was suddenly worse than trippier... city got the wrong full back ha ha etc.
But I see you rate toby highly STILL.
I just get annoyed when fans turn & say someone's crap overnight if they are leaving. But you aren't saying that. So its all good!

Personally I feel like we will lose a good player every 1-2 years due to them wanting higher wages & big trophies.
So as long we have a good plan in place to cope with this, then we will be ok!

Yeah, we'd just won the derby and all someone was interested in was why didn't he pick Alderweireld...that would piss anybody off. It was disrespectful to both him and Sanchez.
It’s why I fucking despise our tabloid media. Not only have we just won the NLD but have also navigated a run of Utd, Liverpool, Woolwich and come out the other side with 7 points (which in truth on performance should have been 9) and some ratty little cunt wants to try and dig for something negative about a player that has been out injured for 3 months!

I’d like to see him do a Fergie and ban certain groups from our press conferences if they are only going to try and unsettle and undermine our achievements.

Yeah it would feel a lot better if he went abroad. Barca could do with him.
Id rather we sold him in the summer than just let him run down his contract. We know poch doesn't play players if their hearts not in it. So we may as well get him off our wage bill & get some ££ for him/ good player swap.

My Woolwich pal was asking if I think he'd be tempted to go across North London. Those days are long gone my friend, never going to happen with another 2 years on his contract. A £60m fee to reinvest in that area and more would be sufficient for a 29 year old, no matter how much I would love for him to sign and stay for the rest of his career

Back
Top Bottom