Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to say we have many better prospects now but it's too early to write him off completely yet, if he can bulk out who knows?
its not about bulking out, its the fact that he has no defensive smarts, and even less actual desire to defend. modric wasnt a bulky player but his positional sense and effort were excellent in that regard. factor in Poch's pressing style and its clear carroll will not measure up imo.

Modric never bulked out and had the shit kicked out of him first year in England, its about him being given the right opportunities whether with us or on loan, has to be the right move this season crucial for him now to make it

its not about bulking out, its the fact that he has no defensive smarts, and even less actual desire to defend. modric wasnt a bulky player but his positional sense and effort were excellent in that regard. factor in Poch's pressing style and its clear carroll will not measure up imo.

Very similar to JWP at Southampton and Pochettino was a big big fan of him. Tom Carroll has a very bright future not many players at Spurs can pass a ball like he does, I just hope his future is with Spurs.

Very similar to JWP at Southampton and Pochettino was a big big fan of him. Tom Carroll has a very bright future not many players at Spurs can pass a ball like he does, I just hope his future is with Spurs.
sure, if Carroll was 4 years younger it would be an appropriate comparison but at age 22 I don't think he will change.

Tippy tappy safety passy is not going to propel us to top 4 and beyond.

IMO there are players with more rounded skills and a bit of competative needle that should be getting pochs training like bentaleb etc.

Players like Carroll just suck up valuable coaching time with very little payoff. He's too neat and vanilla. We need players to make the gooners our bitch.

You will fuck up our spine off the ball with him. He does not have the endless engine players like him need that Modric etc have.

If you are 2 up and need to close out a game then he is handy. Otherwise he's not going offer a winning mentality to the midfield.

sure, if Carroll was 4 years younger it would be an appropriate comparison but at age 22 I don't think he will change.

Players develop at a different pace. Players like Mason and Carroll are late developers but proper footballers. Don't write them off yet. Most Spurs fans hardly knew who this Mason was until the USA Tour.

Players develop at a different pace. Players like Mason and Carroll are late developers but proper footballers. Don't write them off yet. Most Spurs fans hardly knew who this Mason was until the USA Tour.
Proper footballers know how to defend and have a good degree if tactical awareness. Carroll hasn't displayed either to date. Being a good passer simply isn't enough.

Tippy tappy safety passy is not going to propel us to top 4 and beyond.

IMO there are players with more rounded skills and a bit of competative needle that should be getting pochs training like bentaleb etc.

Players Carroll just suck up valuable coaching time with very little payoff. He's too neat and vanilla. We need players to make the gooners our bitch.

You will fuck up our spine off the ball with him. He does not have the endless engine players like him need that Modric etc have.

If you are 2 up and need to close out a game then he is handy. Otherwise he's not going offer a winning mentality to the midfield.

That's great, just out of interest how often have you watched him play to know that he doesn't have an engine? every team needs a player like a Carroll, who keeps the game ticking over, he is more than capable of picking a killer pass as well. It is ridiculous to compare Carroll and Bentaleb because they are entire different, the only similarity is that they play in a central midfield role.

I would love to see Carroll given a chance alongside someone like Schneiderlin or Sandro.

Nope. Carroll has been doing the rounds on forums for ages talking about his gifts. Here we are years later and he's failed to develop.

Proper footballers know how to defend and have a good degree if tactical awareness. Carroll hasn't displayed either to date. Being a good passer simply isn't enough.

Haha this is brilliant, I would honestly love to know how many times you have watched Carroll play competitively. His job in the centre of midfield would not be to win the ball back and chase after lost causes, he is there to keep things moving and every so often pick a killer pass.

I think that the phrase "proper footballers know how to defend" is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

That's great, just out of interest how often have you watched him play to know that he doesn't have an engine? every team needs a player like a Carroll, who keeps the game ticking over, he is more than capable of picking a killer pass as well. It is ridiculous to compare Carroll and Bentaleb because they are entire different, the only similarity is that they play in a central midfield role.

I would love to see Carroll given a chance alongside someone like Schneiderlin or Sandro.

What killer passes? I don't think ive ever seen him do anything killer. I've seen plenty of neat and tidy possession fests.

You would love to watch him next to a dm? He just watched capoue get overrun and did nothing to help. Just stood there and it led to a goal. Trying to prove himself he showed little team ethic.

Haha this is brilliant, I would honestly love to know how many times you have watched Carroll play competitively. His job in the centre of midfield would not be to win the ball back and chase after lost causes, he is there to keep things moving and every so often pick a killer pass.

I think that the phrase "proper footballers know how to defend" is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.
you fucking kidding ? the lad is a CM, deeper lying at that and you think he shouldnt need to defend. you fucking mug, try watching xavi/modric/scweinsteiger for evidence of how a proper footballer in his position plays in terms of work rate, ethic and tactical awareness.

jesus.

Yeah because he has been given chance after chance hasn't he.

That speaks volumes. QPR message boards also speaks volumes.

hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/02/sp-qpr-fans-on-tom-carroll-i-wish-he-was-missing-from-our-midfie/

What you may have is a romantic ideal of being drawn to a passer. Same thing happened to hudd. Difference being the Hoddles etc could score consistent screamers and set up a dozen teammates.

you fucking kidding ? the lad is a CM, deeper lying at that and you think he shouldnt need to defend. you fucking mug, try watching xavi/modric/scweinsteiger for evidence of how a proper footballer in his position plays in terms of work rate, ethic and tactical awareness.

jesus.

Yep. These guys are switched on killers, alert, always formulating steps ahead and bring the best out of those around them.

Carroll is limp, safety first uninspiring bland vanilla tappy pass the buck.

Back
Top Bottom