Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Impossible to pick 10, since every member of the 1901 Cup winning side (only non-league team to win the FA Cup), the 1951 League winning side and the Double side deserve to be called legends. Outside of these - Greaves and Perryman should certainly be added. And I haven't even started listing more recent deserving players.
However, I do think that anyone who left us at the height of their usefulness (Sheringham, Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Klinsmann, Keane) doesn't deserve the title of Legend. Just my opinion, but I do have strong feelings on this subject.
I think we can forgive Klinsmann, he saw the error of his ways and came back to save us

You were around in the sixties? It doesn't matter either way.

Bill Nickolson was the yesteryear version of Pep Guardiola and Tottenham were the oil riggers, buying any player they wanted at that time.

Author Rowe invented modern day football.

Like to you say, each to their own but for the me, it's Nickolson two, Rowe one.
You were making the point no one had mentioned Rowe and I was pointing out that I had in my list. If you are going to refer to a club legend the least you can do is spell their names correctly.

You were around in the sixties? It doesn't matter either way.

Bill Nickolson was the yesteryear version of Pep Guardiola and Tottenham were the oil riggers, buying any player they wanted at that time.

Author Rowe invented modern day football.

Like to you say, each to their own but for the me, it's Nickolson two, Rowe one.

Should be Rowe one,two....after all he thought of it
Arthur Sydney Rowe (1 September 1906 – 5 November 1993) was an English footballer, and later manager, who played as a centre half. He was the first manager to lead Tottenham Hotspur to the First Division Championship title in 1951. He also 'invented' the successful "one-two" method of play. :thumbup:

Mister Greaves was a great player, but he was also a cunt apparently. Both during and after his career. I mean, why would a football club not include it's all time goal scorer in their wall of fame? OK, he's there now but you get the point.

Why would I include Benny over our top goal scorer? Did you ever see Benny galavanting around the place with fags, booze and women? Did he come across as being a cunt because he wrote lol after every tweet?

Mate, like I said, it's easy to cross over between best player and legend. If this was a best player list Jimmy would be in it, but it's not.
Apparently......

Benny was an ok player, full stop, for me and did nothing (IMHO) to deserve either status.

But I believe that Greaves did, both on the pitch and how he served the club.

Never heard anyone say anything derogatory about him as a person though, so that's news to me.

Apparently......

Benny was an ok player, full stop, for me and did nothing (IMHO) to deserve either status.

But I believe that Greaves did, both on the pitch and how he served the club.

Never heard anyone say anything derogatory about him as a person though, so that's news to me.

To even use the c**t word and Jimmy Greaves in the same sentence shows me one huge quality of the poster....ignorance...then to add to it 'apparently' only enhances my original opinion....blind ignorance
I have no need to defend the man, his record speaks for itself. To try to do so would do him an injustice. Anyone who considers him not to be worthy of the title 'legend' only displays an utter and contemptible disregard for what this club is built on and represents.
I implore any member who was ever lucky enough to see this genius play or simply agrees with my comments to post and show 5purs 5purs how irresponsible and ill advised his opinion is.

Last edited:
Jennings is the first one I remember really.

Jennings
Perryman
Gilzean
Hoddle
Ardiles
Mabbutt
King
Kane

Hughton, Keane, Defoe and Sheringham are close.

Last edited:
To even use the c**t word and Jimmy Greaves in the same sentence shows me one huge quality of the poster....ignorance...then to add to it 'apparently' only enhances my original opinion....blind ignorance
I have no need to defend the man, his record speaks for itself. To try to do so would do him an injustice. Anyone who considers him not to be worthy of the title 'legend' only displays an utter and contemptible disregard for what this club is built on and represents.
I implore any member who was ever lucky enough to see this genius play or simply agrees with my comments gives this post an 'agree' rating just to show 5purs 5purs how irresponsible and ill advised his opinion is.

Agreed.

Anyone that thinks Greaves is or was a cunt after his achievements and goal scoring record at Spurs needs to give their fucking head a wobble.

I grew up with him writing endless articles attacking the club what seemed like every other weekend and dont ever really remember him being v pro Spurs on S&G. That might have been down to the powers that be running the club at the time.

Mister Greaves was a great player, but he was also a cunt apparently. Both during and after his career. I mean, why would a football club not include it's all time goal scorer in their wall of fame? OK, he's there now but you get the point.

Why would I include Benny over our top goal scorer? Did you ever see Benny galavanting around the place with fags, booze and women? Did he come across as being a cunt because he wrote lol after every tweet?

Mate, like I said, it's easy to cross over between best player and legend. If this was a best player list Jimmy would be in it, but it's not.
I thought the reason Greaves wasn't in the hall of fame was because he resented the way he was made to leave the club, and refused the offers.

But I guess that's part of the point of a debate. Bale is an interesting one. When you think of how long Gazza, Lineker, and Waddle were at the club, Bale was present for a big chunk of his career and left some incredible memories. Certainly one of our greatest players. Legend? When he retires and we reflect on him years down the line, it's highly likely.

I grew up with him writing endless articles attacking the club what seemed like every other weekend and dont ever really remember him being v pro Spurs on S&G. That might have been down to the powers that be running the club at the time.
This may help to explain...

I thought the reason Greaves wasn't in the hall of fame was because he resented the way he was made to leave the club, and refused the offers.

But I guess that's part of the point of a debate. Bale is an interesting one. When you think of how long Gazza, Lineker, and Waddle were at the club, Bale was present for a big chunk of his career and left some incredible memories. Certainly one of our greatest players. Legend? When he retires and we reflect on him years down the line, it's highly likely.
I don’t think Gazza, Lineker or Waddle were around long enough to be legends. Great players though.

I don’t think Gazza, Lineker or Waddle were around long enough to be legends. Great players though.

Fair enough. It’s interesting to see the different definitions of legends.

Ricky Villa was long before my time, but his cup-winning goal is certainly legendary. Ginola wasn’t playing for us that long, but a lot of people consider him to be the shining light in a dark era.

VDV was with us for two seasons, but certainly left a bigger impression on some compared to Paul Allen.

sorry 5purs 5purs , but even using the c word in relation to our greatest ever goal scorer is downright disrespectful.
Jimmy had his reasons for acting as he did, but I'm glad that he is now back in the fold.

sorry 5purs 5purs , but even using the c word in relation to our greatest ever goal scorer is downright disrespectful.
Jimmy had his reasons for acting as he did, but I'm glad that he is now back in the fold.
Yeah, this is the thing with best verses legend, as I've said twice now. Jimmy was a great but not a legend, regardless of the heart strings attached. Just as with Lineker after him, both were great goal scorers and both were cunts both during and after their careers. Sorry for the wording but it's apt, like with Sol. The irony being, you saying disrespectful lol.

Back
Top Bottom