Top 20 Managers of all time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should be a minimum 100 games - wipes out almost half if that list. Having Pinhead Sherwood on that list is a disgrace.

I know I was badly out of my tits in the early nineties, but 51 games for Livermore and Clemence? Really?!?

Thank fuck I can't remember 88-97.

Those were the days...the Gerry Francis years...When seasons like this were highlights...

1994–95 was a 'nearly' season for Tottenham. They finished seventh in the Premier League – two places off a UEFA Cup place – and lost to Everton in the semi finals of the FA Cup.

Those were the days...the Gerry Francis years...When seasons like this were highlights...

1994–95 was a 'nearly' season for Tottenham. They finished seventh in the Premier League – two places off a UEFA Cup place – and lost to Everton in the semi finals of the FA Cup.
Yep, can remember getting quite excited that year. The other seasons around it were really dire.

Gerry-Francis-300x199.jpg

Yep, can remember getting quite excited that year. The other seasons around it were really dire.
Yeah, I thought after beating Southamton 6-2 in the fifth round then winning at Anfield in the quarters that our name was on the Cup, then we lost 4-1 to a shit Everton team who fluked the Final against a weakened United team....Fucking gutted.

Some other ones not on the list:
Burkinshaw - 42.2%
Venables - 40.1%
Ardiles - 30.8%
Francis - 38.4%
Gross - 34.5%
Graham - 39.2%
Hoddle - 39.4%
Santini - 38.5%
Ramos - 38.9%

Not that it's a good way to compare managers at all. Points per game would be slightly better in order to account for the difference between draws and wins, but that falls down when you consider that draws were more valuable in the pre-1981 2-points-per-win era (which also may explain why Nicholson/Rowe are further down the list than we'd expect).

Not to mention that a manager's performance is going to be strongly impacted by the squad he inherits, the strength of rival teams at the time and even the strength of cup opposition he's drawn against.

Some other ones not on the list:
Burkinshaw - 42.2%
Venables - 40.1%
Ardiles - 30.8%
Francis - 38.4%
Gross - 34.5%
Graham - 39.2%
Hoddle - 39.4%
Santini - 38.5%
Ramos - 38.9%

Not that it's a good way to compare managers at all. Points per game would be slightly better in order to account for the difference between draws and wins, but that falls down when you consider that draws were more valuable in the pre-1981 2-points-per-win era (which also may explain why Nicholson/Rowe are further down the list than we'd expect).

Not to mention that a manager's performance is going to be strongly impacted by the squad he inherits, the strength of rival teams at the time and even the strength of cup opposition he's drawn against.

Its almost as if the whole thing is a crock of shit..

Yeah, I thought after beating Southamton 6-2 in the fifth round then winning at Anfield in the quarters that our name was on the Cup, then we lost 4-1 to a shit Everton team who fluked the Final against a weakened United team....Fucking gutted.
Used to like the Everton team of Gray, Sharpe, Sheedy, etc. they went on my shitlist that day and have never left it.

God that was a depressing match. Was that the season that we were kicked out of the cup only for Sugar to get it overturned?
That win up at anfield was a classic.

God that was a depressing match. Was that the season that we were kicked out of the cup only for Sugar to get it overturned?
That win up at anfield was a classic.
It was. We started with the famous five with Ossie and ended up with Gerry for three marvelous seasons.

I know I was badly out of my tits in the early nineties, but 51 games for Livermore and Clemence? Really?!?

Thank fuck I can't remember 88-97.
I loved the season with Clemence and Livermore in charge. SHeringham Anderton and BArmby were shit hot. Remember we reattled Southampton with 4 goals in about 2 minutes. Did leeds in the ass 4-0 at WHL, Nayims wonder volley against the scouse, smashing City at maine road and starting a riot.I remember it as a fine season and then we lost 1-0 to the scum in the cup semi and then the Venables/Sugar thing blew up. The start of out 1990's demise.

I think the Venables era was perhaps a little overrated because of the FA Cup win, that same year we sailed very close to relegation and the next season wasn't a great deal better, I can't remember it that well but it was over 20 years back in fairness!

It was a different time when being a cup team counted for a lot more than it does at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom