Tottenham Hotspur FC v Sport Lisboa e Benfica

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Awful stuff. Even when we were terrible, I can't remember it being less fun than this.

People said the team was overcoached under Villas Boas. No idea what it is now. Job of a coach to set a side up and improve his players, seeing none of that. People accused Redknapp of being a chancer, there are lightyears between him and Sherwood. No one moving for the ball, no one with any idea where they should be, no pressure on Benfica. Look at the difference with their movement when our back four had the ball - they hurried us and closed off options. We just lumped it to the strikers.

Benfica fans in the Paxton and east stand (couldn't see anywhere else). Celebrating, wearing flags. Nothing happened. Paid £35 for my ticket - price it accordingly and fill it with Spurs fans.

For what it's worth:

Lloris - 5 - made a decent save, had one or two moments of madness
Walker - 5 - nothing bad, nothing exceptional
Kaboul - 5 - lost the physicality he used to have, was trying
Vertonghen - 5 - not as bad as he has been, again nothing exceptional
Naughton - 6 - purely for effort, he didn't let his head drop. At fault for the goal, but don't think playing on the left (when he can't use his left foot) behind an out of position midfielder helps him at all
Lennon - 3 - dire. Huge fan of Lennon and a big defender of him. Seemed to tuck inside without the ball rather than stretch play, scared to take on his man (did it once first half and it was effective). No idea whether that's an instruction or a confidence issue. Game was crying out for Townsend. Kaboul made more of an effort at wing play
Paulinho - 2 - again a player I like, not looking for scapegoats. God awful. First instinct was to pass it back to the keeper, we missed Dembele's physicality
Sandro - 4 - love him as a player, thought he had a mare. Too many headers in the middle of the park fell short to Benfica players, sloppy on the ball
Eriksen - 6 - the one positive. Wasted on the wing, our only truly creative player
Adebayor - 5 - not the in the game, not his fault as he's not a typical 50/50 header big man. Should have scored
Kane - 5 - made an effort, bit of quality to win the freekick, shouldn't have started

Soldado - 5 - couldn't get into the game, despite that made two runs of the defender (something no one else did all night). Dropping him for Chelsea I understand, dropping him for Harry Kane is nuts. Must do wonders for his confidence
Rose - 5 - thought he was ok, bar the ball rolling under his feet at the end, nice to have a left footed option
Bentaleb - 5 - a better option than our £17m Brazilian international #Spursy

Terrified about Sunday/

With respect to Naughton, I've already mentioned that it was a great thru ball and great finish, and I'm infinitely glad he didn't get tempted to try a last ditch and end up getting sent off. I think other defenders (Daws, Jan, Rose) might have been tempted to do so.

In terms of the positioning, it seemed perhaps a little like the line was supposed to push up (or the full backs had at least been instructed to do so, with the central players in Jan & Younis moving to cover a little).

That Rodrigo was like a rocket and I think it passed right past Jan. I really don't see how, aside from the usual Naughton-hate that happens, that could have been avoided without Kyle either being Usain Bolt, or ignoring the tactis?

f2bc623a59c2b2c86ebc22bc35d587bc.gif

CJJ CJJ I thought he was a bit too narrow as a starting position and not alive to the danger over his shoulder. As I said, I thought he had a better game than he'll get credit for.

He's exposed when Eriksen plays on the left. He's not a left back by trade, so it's even more unfair.

The first goal was annoying, bit against the run of play and got caught out on the counter - it happens. But what really FUCKS ME OFF are the other two goals - absolutely shambolic marking/defending from set pieces and it's inexcusable.

Call me naive, moronic, desperate, whatever you want but I don't believe we're out. In fact I think we'll beat le Ars' and then force the return leg into penalties. I think in a weeks time I'll be calling you all pessimistic negative... Well normal Spurs fans:holtbytongue:. I also think Jan deserves some credit for saving us on several occasions tonight, I know you're all scared he'll leave but still he was really good.
you're a naive moron.

He was doing that ball watching I keep telling you about. But apparently I just hate English players.

Wingplay/wingbacks is the albatross around this seasons neck.

Right..... but Vertonghen didn't let the ball literally go straight past him...

Notice the effort the central defenders put in to track back.. gentle jog.

Blaming just Naughton for that goal, if any blame at all considering the speed and quality of Rodrigo, rubber stamps you in Moron status.

Blaming just Naughton for that goal, if any blame at all considering the speed and quality of Rodrigo, rubber stamps you in Moron status.

Yep yep. We get torn apart due to a breakdown from our left flank in attack and get countered down the left. Just like I keep claiming. Cut apart. But I am a moron right? It's not like I said before the match or anything.

What else happens, another English player...A striker...Thinks he's Rooney and dribbles the ball out of defence. Result: Goal. And you mock me for claiming our English players have an IQ problem? Rose played well though. Tapping the ball into touch with no pressure on him. Lennon was Lemon.

nez313.jpg

Like I keep saying: Our English players are the problem with this team apart from Walker who is a beast.

He was doing that ball watching I keep telling you about. But apparently I just hate English players.

Wingplay/wingbacks is the albatross around this seasons neck.

:adestare:

gibbs131 said:
What else happens, another English player...A striker...Thinks he's Rooney and dribbles the ball out of defence. Result: Goal. And you mock me for claiming our English players have an IQ problem?

gibbs131 said:
Our English players are the problem with this team apart from Walker who is a beast.

Lets be honest, it's not the first sarcastic comment I've seen fly over your head from other posters. I don't rag on them just because they are English. It's their skillset, football IQ, limitations, one dimensional play etc.
Okay, sure, so then why are you calling out our English players so much? I've seen you negatively call out the English ones in other threads as well. Look, I'm not defending them, but you can't keep calling out one particular set of players for criticism and then say that you don't have anything against them in particular.

Okay, sure, so then why are you calling out our English players so much? I've seen you negatively call out the English ones in other threads as well. Look, I'm not defending them, but you can't keep calling out one particular set of players for criticism and then say that you don't have anything against them in particular.

I'm wondering whether he has an agenda... hmmm..... :p

BTW this was bullshit. Kaboul did a great job to cut out a potential pass to the other runner.

I was referring to your beloved do-not-wrongtonhen

BTW, you love posting photos of English players on nights out. It's very creepy.

I assume you'd love to see some more non-english players on nights out, for equality

lamela-sandro.jpg

Sandros-instagram-2910927.jpg

Chiriches again....

213ff51b4-1.jpg

Do you want to slag off Ledley too?

article-1339076-0C80A651000005DC-597_468x402.jpg

Dos Santos

article-1093528-02C234D4000005DC-446_468x396.jpg

I've put them in a spoiler to stop your agenda littering yet another thread.

I just amount managed to avoid posting my thoughts on this game til now, so as to not let my emotional state after 90 minutes get in the way of my analysis.

Right, the game.

To start with the players - a brief look:

Lloris - Didn't do much positive, pulled off one save of note I can remember. Needs to learn when to STAY ON HIS LINE. I recall 2, maybe 3 times he caused absolute mayhem at the back coming out and being too close to our defenders. And he done one of those 'kicks' again. Y'know, like the one against City but worse. The mix up between him and Vertonghen was fucking embarrassing.

Naughton - Is a backup right back, and that is it. Personally I feel he is Championship quality at best. I really don't see what he offers. Weak in possession, has no creative ideas, and his positioning and awareness is suspect. In my view at fault for the first goal. The video above posted by CJJ CJJ is conclusive for me. The through ball is played, and about halfway through its travels, Naughton looks over his shoulder, realises there is a player outside him (which he should have already been aware of) and then starts to chase back. Too late by then. No way Verts could have cut it out before-hand.

Kaboul - Didn't have a great game overall, but he was the most passionate player on the pitch. Bless him he tried, showed some desire and fight, even ended up in attack a few times making runs down the wing.

Verts - Probably our best defender on the night, though that isn't saying much. The chaos and lack of communication between him and Lloris was scary at times.

Walker - A bit sloppy in possession but again one of the few that was trying to get the game moving. Made a few bursts forward but didn't link up very well with Lennon all night.

Eriksen - Good on the ball but out of position, limiting his effectiveness. Didn't offer much creativity, and don't remember him putting in any crosses of note.

Sandro - Poor by his standards, but I don't think the 4-4-2 shape suits his game. Benfica done a job on him, closed him down quickly, and he didn't deal with it very well.

Paulinho - Fuckin useless. He really was dreadful all night. I don't remember him beating a player all night, and his movement was shocking. Never seemed to find any space, and was slow off the mark when he did get the ball.

Lennon - Terrible game. I saw someone say in another thread his defensive abilities make him a viable option on the wing. Well, that was the only good part of his game. He may as well have been right-back. I think he got 1 cross in? Apart from that, was unable to beat his man all night, didn't hold up play for Walker to overlap, and needs to learn to use his left foot.

Kane - Thrown in the deep end a bit, but I don't believe the kid is good enough for Spurs. He was poor in possession, tried dribbling out from defence, giving the ball away that lead to a corner and goal. I must have seen him ping a loose ball over the top 4 or 5 times. I don't believe one actually hit Ade.

Adebayor - Absolutely starved of service all night. Tried to hold up the ball but had to drop into midfield to do it, where space was very limited. With Kane dropping as well, left him with no option but to go backwards. He must have felt like Andy Carroll with the amount of long balls played in his general direction.

Subs

Rose - Shit.
Soldado - n/a
Bentaleb - :gomes: (my face when he came on)

The game:

It was amazing how similar our style was to when I watched us under AVB. The side-to-side passing, the lack of movement and creativity. It was hard to watch at times. The wingbacks seemed to refuse to overlap. The ball kept moving backwards and ending up with Lloris to hoof upfield and lose possession.

Naughton and Lennon need to learn how to use their left feet!!! Fuckin hell, they train 4 or 5 days a week, surely they can learn? So one-dimensional, they offered nothing all night. Our play was slow and lacked any kind of cutting edge or movement. It seemed the players (bar Kane) had been told not to stray from their positions, making us very predictable. Their formation caused us issues, defending with 5 in midfield and outnumbering us, but attacking with 3 or more.

How we managed to allow their tallest player to score two goals from set pieces is beyond me. I don't watch much Portuguese football but anyone could see he was going to be the aerial threat. Unmarked twice. We are literally unable to attack or defend set pieces aren't we?

The thing that grated me the most in this game, considering the recent "2-hour meeting" and Sandro's claims in the press, was the lack of leadership or responsibility. Let's take a few isolated incidents.

Vertonghen and Lloris make a complete mess of clearing the ball, both miss it and we get away with it, resulting in a corner. No one bollocks them, and those two clap hands, as if they done a good job!

Kane loses possession trying to run the ball out of trouble, Lloris tips over for a corner. No one bollocks him. Not one player.

All three goals. After conceding, I didn't see anyone shouting and screaming. They all just wandered up the pitch back into their positions and stood with their hands on their hips. They couldn't have looked less bothered.

There were some positives. The atmosphere (in the first half) was excellent. We stood the whole game with no hint of a telling off from the stewards. There were countless Yid chants, again nothing doing from the stewards. The Benfica fans were excellent, very loud, flairs, fireworks, flags. A real European atmosphere on their part. As much as I agree with cheering on your team through thick and thin, our players didn't give us much to shout about on the night. The place erupted when Eriksen scored and the energy in the ground for 5 or 10 minutes afterwards was electric. I wanted to get on the pitch myself! But it didn't seem to translate to the players, who still jogged around after the ball. Frustrating.

The booing at HT and FT was shit, but there is a clear hatred for Tim amongst the fans. I suspect he will struggle to win over the majority unless he pulls of something spectacular this season (Europa League win or 4th). I suspect we'll be fortunate to finish 5th without any silverware at this rate.

A win on Sunday will redeem the current situation somewhat, but I can't see it happening.

Yes. Block J was pretty much all Benfica. and i was sat with them. i wanted to offer everyone of the cunts out, but i kinda admired them in a way... Loud, passionate fans. Supporting a team playing well. Hard to be anything but jealous.

I was sat in J as well, it was a fucking joke. £40 to basically sit in the away end and watch that pile of shit.

Ridiculous move by the club putting the tickets on general sale to non members. I'm sure when we played Panathinaikos the club made sure you couldn't purchase a ticket unless you had been a member for at least a couple of months. They obviously knew what to expect because there where more police on the shelf than I've seen for a long time. Benfica fan behind me said that he had tickets for the away end but his seat had already been taken when he arrived so the stewards had moved him. Not sure how true that was.

No more non 1882 games for me I'm afraid, the club has taken the piss out of me for the last time.

Back
Top Bottom