Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When Kane equalised it was as though the whole team thought job done.

If there is one downside of Kane returning, it's that the other players forget to give 100%.

Pochettino needed and needs to see that because one or two players fell below effort standards yesterday.

Agree with that. Noticed a different team spirit when Kane was out this season. All the players dug deep. Yesterday it was like they all were waiting for Kane to do something to get us a result. As I said yesterday, Son was absolutely anonymous by his usual standards and I can't help but feel rushing Kane back was not the move to make yesterday. I know he scored, but potentially at the expense of a vital win for us.

Still puzzled by Winks substitution yesterday. Sucked all the momentum out of the game for us at a time when we were dictating it. Maybe that's why Poch was so furious as he realised he made some tactical blunders after a few games of getting it spot on?

Agree with that. Noticed a different team spirit when Kane was out this season. All the players dug deep. Yesterday it was like they all were waiting for Kane to do something to get us a result. As I said yesterday, Son was absolutely anonymous by his usual standards and I can't help but feel rushing Kane back was not the move to make yesterday. I know he scored, but potentially at the expense of a vital win for us.

Still puzzled by Winks substitution yesterday. Sucked all the momentum out of the game for us at a time when we were dictating it. Maybe that's why Poch was so furious as he realised he made some tactical blunders after a few games of getting it spot on?

Yep good post.

We have superb team spirit so Kane's return is brilliant but that needed to be with all the right messages.

As a player Son needs to be on it 100% all the time though, as does everyone else.

It felt like Pochettino was completely baffled by how we played and that carried through with his substitutions and post match rant at Dean.

A really bad day at the office at the very wrong time.

To be fair I didnt see much anti football....they just defended better than us, played to their strengths, and exposed our weaknesses.
We literally cant afford another defeat this season now, and while beating Chelsea will be the perfect tonic, a part of me will just be sitting there saying "we'd be top now", if Utd beat Liverpool.

The first half they literally had everyone behind the ball. Second half they started to move forward in small stages.
The game I had to endure at Wembley was the single most disgusting display of anti football I have ever seen. Eriksen scoring at the death was more enjoyable than winning 5-0 and that was purely because they got exactly what they deserved.
The fans pay a lot of money to follow their team and they deserve to be entertained.
Look at how buoyant we were when we beat Dortmund, that was because we played some scintillating football which created an amazing atmosphere.
The day is so much more enjoyable if you witness amazing football. There is nothing worse than sitting there struggling to stay awake because you are witnessing a completely dull non event.

Yes you play to your strengths but how do they know their strengths aren’t taking the game to the opposition? Burnley have decent players and could cause teams many problems but not when all 11 are behind the ball in their own half.

Yeah, it's got to the point where it's a bit of a shock when we actually lose a game...some people don't seem very capable of handling it though...

That's a good and a bad thing.

Good as it's genuinely rare for us to lose, even when we play badly - bad because as you say some of our fans lose all perspective.

I think the thing is we have a great squad now and a awesome manager, we know what this team is capable of so it’s frustrating when we lose and play below the level we are capable off, and everyone just says well we were shit before we should just be happy now to be near the top, I know we can’t expect to win every game but it does seem like every time we have the opportunity to stand up and make a statement we seem to lose, maybe it’s coincidental, or maybe there is more to it, but if that game was played Monday and pool and city have both won and the gap back to 8 points before we play I reckon we would have won, I just hope once we move into the new stadium we can get over the final hurdle

Not sure how much longer this team has. It's not that young anymore and I'd say the odds of losing Toby and Eriksen are high. Feels like every season has a new obstacle in the way and next season I can envisage a "transition year" excuse with some new faces replacing old faces and the new stadium. There's no perfect storm for our club.

What annoys me is how do they know they won’t do better by attempting to play good football?
Why don’t they ever consider what the fans want?
The fans turn up as they want to support the team but I can guarantee every one of them would love to watch fast flowing attacking football and be entertained.
It must just literally going through the motions rather than an enjoyable day out.

Look at wolves, they came up and are playing some lovely football and their fans absolutely love it. They put these boring anti-football clubs to shame.
Wolves had a net spend of 80m in the summer and have a much more talented squad. A few lesser teams have tried playing good attacking football but generally they don't last long. Blackpool managed to survive a few seasons but are now in league one. Fulham this season will go straight back down. Stoke tried to play more progressive after Pullis and also went down.

Burnley were actually surprisingly positive yesterday though. They played with two up front and pushed men forward which makes yesterday's result even more confusing.

Considering how awful and boring our football has been this season , I think we should all be delighted we are in 3rd position . It’s a miracle really .
Shame we threw away domestic competitions again . We could have been in a cup final today . Instead we are all singing the blues because we lost to Burnley .
We did not throw the domestic competitions away but lost because of our injury crisis and not having a deep enough squad to cope. Bad timing.

Had time to sober up and think exactly the same "FUCK OFF YOU UTTER CUNT"

How fucking entitled are you? It's like your parent's have just bought you a Bugatti Veyron and you're calling them bitches because it's not the Super Sport model ... what a horrible spoilt brat you must have been

I'm glad you hate the stadium, hope to fuck you never set foot in the place, that would be about as hypocritical as you can get ... which probably sums you up nicely

Best squad and best four years off results we've had in EPL history, and still you feel entitled to complain, sorry to tell you but you're not entitled to fuck all, don't like it don't watch, it's simple.

If you admire City and the Dippers so much you know what to do, for sure you won't be missed. If you sat anywhere near the SCS and started your Levy out shit you'd soon find out what true fans think.

When you've built us into one of the top ten clubs in the world you will have earned the right criticize, until they you just come off as some whinging entitled cunt ... slink back into your hole until our next defeat, it's wankers like you who must go not DL, and in your case the sooner the better.

Edit - maybe not as sober as I thought

Hi estly believe that was a game we needed Lamela. You need some hard asses against them. Dembele gone, Alli injured. They where dirty, we couldn't. Lamela would have been.

Likely to be an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't help but wonder throughout the entire match... It almost felt as if Eriksen & Son had it planned to lose the match to screw over Poch....

clearly, whatever plan they had and thought would work went to sh&t and cost us a must have 3 points... players work their asses off to win against tough teams like dortmund, chelsea, liverpool, etc (which they do!!!) so the fact that they lose against pub teams like Burnley that's supposed to have been a gimme just boggles my mind...

Likely to be an unpopular opinion??? You really think two of our players who struggle against aggressive teams decided not to try on purpose??? To fuck over the whole club to prove a point????

Or maybe they just played as they often do when the studs are flying.

And if it boggles your mind and you think it was a “gimme” then you sir know absolutely diddley squat about football.

Ever actually played the game Doug???

Back
Top Bottom