Tottenham Hotspur v Man City (2/2/2020)(4.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a late tackle, nothing more nothing less.

And I'd say the same if it's our player.

(It's a Red Card because the other similar missed tackles that preceded this were given as Red's via VAR, this is the only reason it should have been given. I don't think Robinson's tackle on Tangana was a Red for the same reason BUT he should have received a red for the sake of consistency).

So you think going through someone's leg or ankle studs first is OK if it's late?

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
For the record I don't think the Robertson one was as bad because he didn't go through the leg he scraped down it with a loose boot. I would have no problem with it being red carded either because it was still potentially dangerous and could have cause injury, but I've less problem with that being yellow.

I don't want decisions based on precedent, I want them based on the rules and the rules to reflect some logic.

And to be honest Bergwijn was as bad for a lot of the game, that moment where they got behind us on the right hand side of the penalty box but fucked their cut back, Bergwijn just lets someone run off him, which creates an overload on Tanganga (I think).
Ah. I saw it again today. Walker. He made a mess of the cut-back. Trippier would have put that on a plate for someone.

This '50 minute inquest' and 'giving up on the title' stuff makes me laugh - Man City have been out of it for a fair few weeks now!
:mourloopy:
Manchester City spent huge sums for being light years away from Liverpool and with no CL results. Guardiola is a master of football, however it seems to me that he has recently "lost touch" ...

So Tottenham looked right on Sunday. Only two or three players may have been responsible for the malaise, but those individual issues seemed to inform a collective uncertainty – a sense, perhaps, that while those players remained at the club nothing was ever likely to get better.

Emotionally, but also practically. With Eriksen chopping those lazy passes around, carrying himself like he was doing the club a favour, the midfield was tuned to his flippant rhythm. Rose, with his calamitous defending, has been a further threat to a backline which was already fragile. And when he wasn’t playing, he managed to find other ways to siphon away the joy.

On Sunday, both of their replacements were outstanding. Lo Celso has mesmerising ability and provided exactly the sort of life that Eriksen was prone to stealing away. At left-back, Japhet Tanganga is one of the season’s great stories. He seems like a charming person and, eventually, he'll be a very fine centre-half. Critically though, he’s someone whose only ambition is just to keep being picked for this team.

Almost agree with all of that Blakey.

Agree about the "intent to injure" this shouldn't come into it. I've seen a player brake a leg when they've swung for the ball, missed and followed through into the oppo player's foot (like Coleman's leg break a couple of seasons ago). Son shouldn't have been sent off against Everton.

I think Sterling should have gone but not because I thought it was a straight red but for the sake of consistency. That's to say that there have been two or three tackles like that this season already, all went to VAR and all of them decided it was a red. (Personally, the tackle in itself was a classic late tackle, happens all of the time at any level of the game, 100% a yellow card but in Sterlings and all the others, there wasn't anything deliberate other than a genuine attempt to get to the ball, but it was late. It wasn't reckless but that's bye the bye).

I hate VAR, have done so even before it's introduction and this season has reinforced everything I hatted about it. But if it's here to stay (I don't see a reason for it to remain) then perhaps a solution is to have permanent VAR ref's, so those sat at VAR HQ only ever do this role, whilst they are qualified ref's, they don't referee PL matches, their only job is to man VAR every single game, the same pool of people. It means that their interpretation of the infringement has the chance of being consistent because it's awarded by the same person(s) in the room.

He should have been sent off for either diving or pushing Lloris - pretty much every other player involved got booked in that incident

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
For the record I don't think the Robertson one was as bad because he didn't go through the leg he scraped down it with a loose boot. I would have no problem with it being red carded either because it was still potentially dangerous and could have cause injury, but I've less problem with that being yellow.

I don't want decisions based on precedent, I want them based on the rules and the rules to reflect some logic.
Every tackle has the potential for injury.

The issue is absolutely about having the officials showing consistency. If Aubamyang gets a red card then so too should Robertson and Sterling. Or, if Sterling and Robertson not been seen as a red card then Aubamyang's and Son's aren't reds either.

We can "personally" go back and forth on this all day long but I'll guarantee you if the officials can't agree then there is no hope for the rest of us. It's down to the officials to find a way to get consistency, if they are consistent then over time those of us that are watching will soon know what is or isn't going to be deemed a red card or not.

So you think going through someone's leg or ankle studs first is OK if it's late?
Slow down and freeze frame every tackle and show me one where either player's foot is not raised and therefore has studs showing......you can't. It's the actual act of a tackle (attempt or otherwise).

Why not ban football studs and have players play in slippers, no one would get injured then.

It's a late tackle, nothing more nothing less.

And I'd say the same if it's our player.

(It's a Red Card because the other similar missed tackles that preceded this were given as Red's via VAR, this is the only reason it should have been given. I don't think Robinson's tackle on Tangana was a Red for the same reason BUT he should have received a red for the sake of consistency).

I think most football supporters would agree - the rules themselves will be questioned but ultimately accepted.

Its the lack of consistency that causes the most frustration, VAR or not.

A bit of accountability from the referees wouldn't hurt either.

I think most football supporters would agree - the rules themselves will be questioned but ultimately accepted.

Its the lack of consistency that causes the most frustration, VAR or not.

A bit of accountability from the referees wouldn't hurt either.
I think the refs, on the whole, are fine, they will make mistakes, or simply not have the view or miss something.

VAR hasn't really addressed this, it's taken simply adding new layers of complexity onto a decision as it adds an additional layer of interpretation on something. If it is to be used for possible red cards then those in VAR HQ have the easier task to review and apply the interpretation of the law. In my eyes there is very little they can get wrong but they are. So, let's get rid of the fucking thing and go back to the ref's potentially getting it wrong. Because that's got to still be better than waiting two mins for a decision and for that still to be "wrong" (wrong in 50% of the eyes if you get my drift).

The only way this works is for the interpretation to be consistent. The only way to improve the consistency is to have the same people involved in making the decisions every single week.

Slow down and freeze frame every tackle and show me one where either player's foot is not raised and therefore has studs showing......you can't. It's the actual act of a tackle (attempt or otherwise).

Why not ban football studs and have players play in slippers, no one would get injured then.

God, you talk some utter nonsense at times.

How about this, leg raised, but studs do not go toward Robben, the top of his boot does.

There's a bunch more on here:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Being "Late" or "not intending" are irrelevant.

God, you talk some utter nonsense at times.

How about this, leg raised, but studs do not go toward Robben, the top of his boot does.

There's a bunch more on here:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Being "Late" or "not intending" are irrelevant.

A question on the Son sending off.

I think the reasoning behind that was the "intent" not the amount of force, or even the amount of contact.

i.e. If player A throws a punch but misses, he can still be sent off for intent/dangerous action.

A different situation than whats being discussed, I know.

A question on the Son sending off.

I think the reasoning behind that was the "intent" not the amount of force, or even the amount of contact.

i.e. If player A throws a punch but misses, he can still be sent off for intent/dangerous action.

A different situation than whats being discussed, I know.

I agree, I just don't think the hand bags stuff should be as serious as actually seriously risking injuring someone.

I'd like to see any player found guilty of hand bags stuff (off the ball pushing and shoving etc) made to sit out for 10 minutes, rather than red carded, or maybe if the rack up 3/5 of them they get a game ban.

Back
Top Bottom