Tottenham Hotspur v Man City [UCL QF] - Tuesday, April 9th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wow. All this hate for The Hood! You guys should give him a break, he’s like an articulate Ralph Wiggum.

I guess the lack of self awareness stops him being hurt... but think on this... what Hood calls “Group Think” is actually the coming together of all peoples of the board. Including those who would otherwise be deep in the pits of Cuntoffery. I’ve even seen Baz like one of Joe’s posts.

Rejoice for Hood the Reconciler!

I’ve always rated Joe as a poster

:levyeyes:

Which emoji was Guardiola in Man City's defeat?

German writer Raphael Honigstein said: "I did enjoy him going absolutely crazy on the touchline, to see him losing himself and doing these facial expressions like 'I cannot believe what I'm seeing'.

"He was basically like the walking emoji of shock. There were so many moments where he shook his head. He was so unhappy."

Host Steve Crossman asked: "Was he the monkey with his hands over his eyes? Or the red anger emoji?"

Honigstein said: "He was so many of them - he was the one where the brain blows up."

Champions League: Barcelona, Liverpool, Man Utd - quarter-final talking points

A) He walked into a club that had Lloris, Vertonghen, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane on the books and one that had a director of football model which resulted in finding Dier and Ali for him. That structure has been removed and just look how much of a disaster our scouting policy has been since.

B) Please - this is professional sport - they don’t rely on ‘luck’. You don’t win multiple trophies by luck which is what the likes of Woolwich, United, City and Chelsea have done during his tenure. And it isn’t down to bad luck that we keep losing to the first decent team in the domestic tournaments of the UEFA cup. The derisory attitude that our coaching staff have towards the tournaments that best represent our best chance of success accounts for why we have lost to Palace (twice) and Leicester in the FA Cup. The whole luck argument is the biggest nonsense of them all.

3). And there is the point an Woolwich side that had been in decline for years were still able to win 3 FA cups on their way down but we haven’t been able to win anything ( and not even come close really) whilst on our way up. Pochettino took us into the CL but so did Redknapp - so what? What has that resulted in for the club?

4) The most successful manager got the United job because he broke the Rangers/ Celtic duopoly with Aberdeen and also won a European trophy beating Real Madrid in the final. And he did have to contend with rich benefactors - he had to deal with the first in Jack Walker who really was the first of this kind and then with Sir John Hall at Newcastle who smashed transfer record after transfer record.

kindly repond
1. You have listed players that were there when he arrived. Will you not acknowledge that all of them improved under him and with the exception of Walker (and Debele) all have stayed when more money was available? When Poch came he cleared out the dross and instilled an ethos true Spurs fans are proud of, but before that there was serious talk of Jan & Hugo leaving. More recently Son could have gone. Regarding improving players, remember when Rose and Walker were considered liabilities, ditto Sissoko. Dier was converted into a DM. But you don’t seem to attribute any of that to him.

2. Luck does play a part. We outplayed Chelscum in the FA semi but outfield players gave away a pen and a free kick which gifted 2 goals. In the Carabo semi just gone, any other year away goals count double, in the same game they win the toss and penalty kicks are taken at their end. I could go on....

3. You acknowledged that Woolwich have been in decline and yet won 3 cups. Thats the point! Winning FA Cups (although great to have) doesn’t equate to having a great manager, so why do you use that to measure Poch? The rest of us see that and think Poch is doing a brilliant job, whilst you attempt to drive him out based on a failure to win cups.
And we have come close - 1 cup final, 3 semi finals, league title contenders.

4. Ferguson - you rightly point out he was very successful in Scotland. He took over United in 86/87 and even HE couldn’t win his 1st cup with United for years. He won his 1st Title in 92/93 (from memory Villa should have won it but messed up on the last day).
You mentioned Jack Walker’s Blackburn, but they came later winning it 94/95.

My position on Poch is that he is a great manager. He hasn’t got everything right but no one can. I don’t think we can better him.

What is your position on him? Do you want him out or will you get behind him?

kindly repond
1. You have listed players that were there when he arrived. Will you not acknowledge that all of them improved under him and with the exception of Walker (and Debele) all have stayed when more money was available? When Poch came he cleared out the dross and instilled an ethos true Spurs fans are proud of, but before that there was serious talk of Jan & Hugo leaving. More recently Son could have gone. Regarding improving players, remember when Rose and Walker were considered liabilities, ditto Sissoko. Dier was converted into a DM. But you don’t seem to attribute any of that to him.

2. Luck does play a part. We outplayed Chelscum in the FA semi but outfield players gave away a pen and a free kick which gifted 2 goals. In the Carabo semi just gone, any other year away goals count double, in the same game they win the toss and penalty kicks are taken at their end. I could go on....

3. You acknowledged that Woolwich have been in decline and yet won 3 cups. Thats the point! Winning FA Cups (although great to have) doesn’t equate to having a great manager, so why do you use that to measure Poch? The rest of us see that and think Poch is doing a brilliant job, whilst you attempt to drive him out based on a failure to win cups.

4. Ferguson - you rightly point out he was very successful in Scotland. He took over United in 86/87 and even HE couldn’t win his 1st cup with United for years. He won his 1st Title in 92/93 (from memory Villa should have won it but messed up on the last day).

My position on Poch is that he is a great manager. He hasn’t got everything right but no one can. I don’t think we can better him.

Poch isn’t the finished article yet anymore than we are but we’ve got a great chance of reaching the CL semifinals and finishing top four despite having bad luck with injuries and the upheaval with the new stadium 🏟

Next season will be massive

kindly repond

I have said numerous times that players have improved under him - as I routinely say he is a good manager. However that applied equally under Redknapp as well - look at the transformation of Modric, Bale, Ekotto, Huddlestone etc under him. We went from a team bottom of the league to the CL in just over 12 months with the same group of players. The point is that the talent was there too develop. Do you believe had Pochettino walked into Newcastle they would be occupying our position now? He could only finish 9th with Southampton.

That really is some position to take - under that guise you will always absolve us of responsibility and accountability. We didn’t outplay Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final - we conceded 4 goals and lost the game. There is no bad luck to that all - that is purely down to us and dominating possession means absolutely nothing. Giving away a penalty or a fee kick isn’t bad luck - it’s faults in our game. And do you honestly believe the games successful teams don’t give away penalties or free kicks? I mean and the notion that we have been hindered by a coin toss is just astonishing. I’m not sure if you are actually being serious with this here im struggling to believe that anyone could truly believe that ‘bad luck’ is holding us back.

Wenger, whatever your opinion of him, is one of the greatest ever managers in the British game. A massively in decline Wenger was also better than most managers and 3 FA cups with that team especially when they beat City and Chelsea in the last victory is quite some feat. The games great managers are measured by the trophies they win - if Pochettino’s career finished now do you honestly believe that anyone would talk about him in years to come with such regard? Everything you state about him applies to Kevin Keegan at Newcastle.

It’s took 3 years for him to win a cup - Pochettino has been here for 5 and unless we win the European Cup this season it will be another season without silverware. Pochettino has had a team good enough to win silverware for 4 years now Ferguson didn’t have anywhere near the level of talent we have had in his first 3-4 years at the club. As for Blackburn they were competing for the title in the seasons prior to that and let’s not forget that when he arrived at United Liverpool controlled English football.

Pochettino isn’t a great manager, great managers win silverware. That’s precisely the point here you are elevating him to a status that he hasn't earned. I honestly believe he is the most overrated manager in football at present - it reminds me very much of David Moyes at Everton - it’s the same narrative at play. What he is is a good manager but so was Redknapp. What I want him to do is to step up to the mark and become a great manager - I want him to rid himself of this appalling attitude that he has with respect the tournaments that have defined this club. The supporters need to stop giving him such a free pass - their needs to be pressure placed on him with the group of players that he is. He needs to stop being the nearly man - that’s what I want.

Last edited:
Would love to help you out, particularly against Woolwich - and as their away form is so poor I'm feeling good about that one.
Re Tielemans - what a player. Early days but all signs point to him being the real deal. We're all praying that we can land him - he seems happy and has been making positive noises, but can't help feeling that his head might be turned. It would be understandable if it was - but he's slotted right into a really young side and the body language all reads well. Whoever does get him has something to get excited about.
Hi mate... just a huge thanks for smashing the Woolwich, just as I requested! Leicester fans must be warming towards us, singing "Tottenham Hotspur, they're laughing at you" to the Woolwich cretins, lol! If you can manage one last push against Chelsea we'd be most grateful.
:adethumbup::adethumbup::adethumbup:

Hi mate... just a huge thanks for smashing the Woolwich, just as I requested! Leicester fans must be warming towards us, singing "Tottenham Hotspur, they're laughing at you" to the Woolwich cretins, lol! If you can manage one last push against Chelsea we'd be most grateful.
:adethumbup::adethumbup::adethumbup:

Ha! Thought of you after the CL games - but decided to avoid the "told you so " stuff.

Really enjoyed today - well worth the trip. Thoroughly dislike Woolwich, having seen so many unjust points dropped to them over the decades. So it was hugely satisfying not just to beat them, but to calmly annihilate them. We're playing some lovely stuff now and I fancy us against Chelsea too, and possibly even getting something against City although that would mean handing the title to the dippers and selfishly I love the fact that we have a PL title and they don't. It is pretty hilarious.

I don't think there was any animosity between Leicester and Spurs fans before the 15/16 season, and I think the slightly weird hangover from that is more or less over. I'm on record here having said many times that I like Spurs as a club (probably the only reason i haven't been hounded out of town) and I'd really like to see you win the CL. I think you can although IMO Ajax will actually be a harder game than whoever you play in the final. My son lives in Amsterdam and has seen a lot of them - he's been banging on about how special they are all season.

Btw - if Levy survives the moth onslaught having finally prised open his wallet (assuming it hasn't permanently healed) hands off Tielemans and Maddison!

Seriously though - good luck in the next few games mate and all you Spurs chaps.

Ha! Thought of you after the CL games - but decided to avoid the "told you so " stuff.

Really enjoyed today - well worth the trip. Thoroughly dislike Woolwich, having seen so many unjust points dropped to them over the decades. So it was hugely satisfying not just to beat them, but to calmly annihilate them. We're playing some lovely stuff now and I fancy us against Chelsea too, and possibly even getting something against City although that would mean handing the title to the dippers and selfishly I love the fact that we have a PL title and they don't. It is pretty hilarious.

I don't think there was any animosity between Leicester and Spurs fans before the 15/16 season, and I think the slightly weird hangover from that is more or less over. I'm on record here having said many times that I like Spurs as a club (probably the only reason i haven't been hounded out of town) and I'd really like to see you win the CL. I think you can although IMO Ajax will actually be a harder game than whoever you play in the final. My son lives in Amsterdam and has seen a lot of them - he's been banging on about how special they are all season.

Btw - if Levy survives the moth onslaught having finally prised open his wallet (assuming it hasn't permanently healed) hands off Tielemans and Maddison!

Seriously though - good luck in the next few games mate and all you Spurs chaps.
Cheers.... you know that after the initial stick you took that you're always welcome on this forum. I'm actually enjoying watching Leicester play, attractive footy with accurate passing with pace and sharp shooting up front. Here's to you bagging Thursdsay nights' in far flung East European destinations next season!

Back
Top Bottom