Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They're going to score goals as well as stop them ? Brilliant :thumbup:
no, when the full backs play like defenders, and venture up, but dont neglect the defence, having cover in place, then we will not let in those sloppy break goals, and no they wont score, but the quality into box will be better for our forwards to feed off, we may play a wingback style, but it doesnt mean we leave ourselves open to inferior teams, theres us running at brick walls, and then they get it, and get open shots, and one on ones, it is just not good enough, when we dominate we must punish them, and at the moment we dont, but 2 new fullbacks and we would.

no, when the full backs play like defenders, and venture up, but dont neglect the defence, having cover in place, then we will not let in those sloppy break goals, and no they wont score, but the quality into box will be better for our forwards to feed off, we may play a wingback style, but it doesnt mean we leave ourselves open to inferior teams, theres us running at brick walls, and then they get it, and get open shots, and one on ones, it is just not good enough, when we dominate we must punish them, and at the moment we dont, but 2 new fullbacks and we would.
Very good answer. Cheers.

We played counter attacking football. It's a lot different to "playing scared" or "parking the bus". We purposely conceded possession to allow you to come on to us to open up the space behind you.

We didn't sit back and hope you slipped up. We player a fluid and agile 532 when with the ball switching to 442 or 541 when without, creating 2 banks of 4 or 5 and dropping to the final third to suck the space out between the 2 banks, meaning your forward creative players had no space in between the banks to turn or move around.

We allowed you to have as much possession as you wanted in our half but restricted you to Hollywood style miracle passes to try to break us down either passing through loads of players or over the top which usually went out of play, something that probably maybe only a player like Eriksen could've managed, and you left him on the bench.

And while you struggled to break us down we picked you off and created chance after chance behind you with our pace and passing, only really lacking the final shot.

Leicester actually won the title playing similar tactics, concentrating on defence first and relying on the counter attacking pace of Vardy to break teams down while Kante broke up the attacks. To be honest, Vardy and Kante aside we arent much worse a team than they were when they won the title.

Wouldn't you like to win a title now. But you play the way you do. And to dare is to do right?!

As Cranston says, we obviously have to play with the resources available to us. We could go all out attack but we clearly don't have players as good as spurs. What we do have is a tactically savvy manager who knows how to adapt his tactics to the strengths of our players and to outwit managers and teams like yours.

And we did. And we should've won.
you keep believing that tactic is genius, when most people think it is just a way so small teams can survive against bigger teams, and hope they get a lucky break, and as for , we let you have the ball, please , if you had come and tried to get more posession, we would have opened the scoring, you sat back and held firm, and then hit us, because we are not great defensively, the way you played goes a few ways, you hold out and get a break and score, or you get a hiding, because once you are scored against, you have to come out of your shell, and then you are vulnerable to as you said, our superior players.

we have 4 full backs, all not good, 1 aurier, a sending off waiting to happen, very limited skills, and defensive ability, 2 davies very average defender no cross, no speed, defending ok when stays put, 3 kyle peters too early to tell, he is very naive and not ready yet, he shows good signs, but has some bad games, good pace, decent skill, but is prone to mistakes, not good enough yet for a top team, but later most probably, and 4 danny rose always caught out of position, no cross when he tries to supply them, tackling alrightish, a player who lets us down time and time again, so there you have it, we have no quality full backs, and the way we play, we need them, this is a big reason why we are losing, to play well upfront, you must have a steady reliable defence doing their job and we certainly havent got that.

We played counter attacking football. It's a lot different to "playing scared" or "parking the bus". We purposely conceded possession to allow you to come on to us to open up the space behind you.

We didn't sit back and hope you slipped up. We player a fluid and agile 532 when with the ball switching to 442 or 541 when without, creating 2 banks of 4 or 5 and dropping to the final third to suck the space out between the 2 banks, meaning your forward creative players had no space in between the banks to turn or move around.

We allowed you to have as much possession as you wanted in our half but restricted you to Hollywood style miracle passes to try to break us down either passing through loads of players or over the top which usually went out of play, something that probably maybe only a player like Eriksen could've managed, and you left him on the bench.

And while you struggled to break us down we picked you off and created chance after chance behind you with our pace and passing, only really lacking the final shot.

Leicester actually won the title playing similar tactics, concentrating on defence first and relying on the counter attacking pace of Vardy to break teams down while Kante broke up the attacks. To be honest, Vardy and Kante aside we arent much worse a team than they were when they won the title.

Wouldn't you like to win a title now. But you play the way you do. And to dare is to do right?!

As Cranston says, we obviously have to play with the resources available to us. We could go all out attack but we clearly don't have players as good as spurs. What we do have is a tactically savvy manager who knows how to adapt his tactics to the strengths of our players and to outwit managers and teams like yours.

And we did. And we should've won.
yellowchap i dont hate watford, but i do hate park the bus tactic, we played it against city, and i slagged off spurs that week, we played scared, and i hate that, it doesnt happen often, but when we play it, i dont support it, even if we win,

we have 4 full backs, all not good, 1 aurier, a sending off waiting to happen, very limited skills, and defensive ability, 2 davies very average defender no cross, no speed, defending ok when stays put, 3 kyle peters too early to tell, he is very naive and not ready yet, he shows good signs, but has some bad games, good pace, decent skill, but is prone to mistakes, not good enough yet for a top team, but later most probably, and 4 danny rose always caught out of position, no cross when he tries to supply them, tackling alrightish, a player who lets us down time and time again, so there you have it, we have no quality full backs, and the way we play, we need them, this is a big reason why we are losing, to play well upfront, you must have a steady reliable defence doing their job and we certainly havent got that.
Agree with most of this, apart from two small points:
1. Ben is more than capable to be a good left back, if he is given more game time, as proven when he played when Danny was injured.
2. Same for KWP, he is a natural right back, and as I have mentioned before, he hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip.
I'm certainly no expert tactician, but it makes no sense to me NOT to play players in their natural positions and give them time to build up an understanding. Very few individuals are truly versatile (Gary Mabbutt springs to mind), so why not give them a proper chance to see what they can do, in their proper position?
We are an ageing, disjointed, dispirited team at the moment. I would give the youngsters a go. We may not win many, until they get their feet, but maybe they'll show some fight and at least, we go down fighting.

KWP would be looking at TAA ripping it up at Liverpool, thinking "either I'm not good enough, or the boss really doesn't want me for some reason".
They had words last year or the year before that and MP told him to stay, he should really push for a move by now

Also Foyth, as it seems that's where his national team use him. Given time & fitness he MAY be the answer.

yellowchap i dont hate watford, but i do hate park the bus tactic, we played it against city, and i slagged off spurs that week, we played scared, and i hate that, it doesnt happen often, but when we play it, i dont support it, even if we win,

Come on, stop your whining here. Watford (and number of other teams as well!) play counter-attacking/defensive minded football against all the big teams. It is our aim to be able to break down their defensive lines. If we cannot, it is our issue, not theirs.
Other teams are up against similar issues. We are not special in that sense. Stop blaming other teams for playing the way that brings maximum result to them please. In all fairness, they offered more exiting attacking movements on Sat then we did. I very much doubt that you would call our super-boring sideways passing with 65+% possession exciting football either? Or is just dominating the possession enough for you to call it "not scared" or even "interesting"?!?

I am not saying I enjoy watching us play against defensive sides too much either. But football is about the results. And I think I would get quite bored if every team would play the same way as well. For example I would be bored af if every team would play like ManCity/ Pep's Barca.

Agree with most of this, apart from two small points:
1. Ben is more than capable to be a good left back, if he is given more game time, as proven when he played when Danny was injured.
2. Same for KWP, he is a natural right back, and as I have mentioned before, he hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip.
I'm certainly no expert tactician, but it makes no sense to me NOT to play players in their natural positions and give them time to build up an understanding. Very few individuals are truly versatile (Gary Mabbutt springs to mind), so why not give them a proper chance to see what they can do, in their proper position?
We are an ageing, disjointed, dispirited team at the moment. I would give the youngsters a go. We may not win many, until they get their feet, but maybe they'll show some fight and at least, we go down fighting.

Agree with Davies, disagree with KWP.
He is 22,5 now. Has got some chances and there have been few games where he has been good, but they have come rather rarely. At the start of this season when he got 3 games in a row, he offered absolutely nothing and was weak+with wrong positioning as well. Unfortunately he got injured then, but this is football.
If you have not trusted with chances until you are 23, you just are not good enough (or manager hates you for some reason)...

Sell him until other teams have noticed that he is not top 10 level player, get in someone adequate.

LOL, but that doesn't actually, realistically IMPROVE anything!

The rebels STILL don't want to play.

Most of the WILL leave this summer (at latest, Eriksen probably as soon as january).

We will be watching the same players do the same shit until the end of the season.

If you want "change" as you claim, the only option is to drop the rebels and keep them dropped. Like, for good. Out. Goodbye. No games, no media exposure, no training with the first team.

Play Foyth, Davison and youth players to try to claw our way through to the next transfer windows.

Unless, off course, this place is turning into COYS Twitter, where the football manager generation of fans thinks if we sign Mourinho, all the players will sign new contracts and start playing like Man City overnight, LOL.
Agreed. The rebels want to leave the club whoever is managing. They haven't down tools just because poch is in charge. It's much bigger than that. If poch goes they won't all rush out to sign new contracts with us.

Agreed. The rebels want to leave the club whoever is managing. They haven't down tools just because poch is in charge. It's much bigger than that. If poch goes they won't all rush out to sign new contracts with us.

Sure but a different manager will just drop them. Playing like shit and refusing to sign a deal would see you hit the bench at most clubs. Poch has gone soft and is picking players based on the past and not the present. Just like when he put the ghost of Wanyama on at Leicester and it cost us the game. The man had no business being in the matchday squad, never mind getting on the pitch.

Poch is always banging on about "football being the present and not the past" but he's living in the past. Too many players are starting because of their history with Poch and not because they actually deserve it.

in january we sell wanyama, rose, bayern munich was the warning that the defence needs changing, and that ex arsehole got 4 against us, but he didnt have to work that hard did he, defence must be set up with quality top pros who want to be there, and know how to properly defend, midfield has to cover in front of defence with an enforcer or two depends on who you are playing, and when the full back, (not both) venture upfield they watch for that breaker trying to catch us out, a quality playmaker, to supply subtle passes for our forwards
Sure but a different manager will just drop them. Playing like shit and refusing to sign a deal would see you hit the bench at most clubs. Poch has gone soft and is picking players based on the past and not the present. Just like when he put the ghost of Wanyama on at Leicester and it cost us the game. The man had no business being in the matchday squad, never mind getting on the pitch.

Poch is always banging on about "football being the present and not the past" but he's living in the past. Too many players are starting because of their history with Poch and not because they actually deserve it.
agree with wanyama losing us leicester game, spot on mate.

Back
Top Bottom