Tottenham Hotspur v Wolves (01/03/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No I think the decisive factor in that particular trend is the gradual increase in ticket prices, the gentrification of football has been going on a long time. The creation of the match day ‘experience’ speaks to the deliberate harnessing of a high yield, affluent spectator who will spend a lot of money in the new stadium over the course of 3-4 hours. We’re just part of a global trend that focuses on high rates of tourist capture in football stadia and are deliberately marketed as such.
In other words, it's become a middle class pastime as opposed to "The Working Man's" game.

Yes, yes I DO think he should be 'writing books about being winger' ...are you being dubbed into English?

So sorry for my appealling spalling!! Bloody predictive tax!!

...those in glass houses!!!
No. Not dubbed. Just a shocking typist. I suspect anyone with a secretary has the same problem.

My thoughts on today.....

Was happy to see us try to be more expansive from the start today. Will give Jose some credit for that.

I think that’s all I can give him credit for though. I didn’t fancy our defence on paper, it lacked an organiser or a leader. I understand Toby and Jan have been in shit form, but I didn’t like the composition of the defence personally and I think that showed.

Also not a fan of wing backs. I think we setup like that to give protection against Traore, which I understand, but it just doesn’t work for us and hasn’t for a long period now.

Winks and GLC doesn’t really work as a pairing in CM. Winks and Sissoko didn’t either. We need a DCM in there! Dier, Skipp, whoever. We do not have a 2 man MF combo able to dictate games within our squad. We need 3 and we need it badly!! Why can neither Poch nor Jose see this?!

We can’t defend and whilst we don’t have a great set of individual players, defence should be more about the sum of its parts. Palace are defending great with Gary Cahill and Scott Dann, we can do better. Personally I think we need a higher line and to defend from the front. We have players that aren’t good enough for our level I get that, I just expect slightly better.

Glad to see we can attack, score goals and create chances without Kane and Son. There had been many on here that would have made you believe that wasn’t possible over the last 2 weeks.

Subs were so strange. Either give Parrot a chance in a game like this or don’t have him in the squad. Why bring him on in injury time? If you believed he could help he needed at least 10 mins.

Lots of talk over the last week about fatigue killing us against Leipzig and Chelsea. We had time to prepare for this game, Wolves didn’t. Let’s remember that.

All in all it’s looking rather bleak. You have to say if you’ve watched us over the course of this season we don’t deserve top 4 and I don’t even think we’ve been in the top 6 sides. I think our squad is better than we’re showing.

Don’t trust the hierarchy to address what we need in the summer, don’t trust the manager to improve us either.

I wonder what our long term strategy is?
Absolutely brilliant post.

I was going to write exactly this but you saved me the effort.

The referee was allowing Wolves to foul Spurs players and booked any Tottenham for fouls. He would stop the play and give a Wolves guy a "talking to". That is why Spurs' injury list is the BIGGEST.

Even Mourinho said about the ref in the post match and he would be talking to the PGMOL about how they are doing the rules. Spurs had a case for 3 penalties today. When you see the reffing Chelsea & Woolwich get and compare it to Spurs it's a world apart.

But you lot NEVER stick up for your own team, you just bitch and half of you are FAKE Spurs fans.

No, I read it properly.

A win/win situation is where, whatever happens, the outcome is good.

He'll either stay or go at the end of the season and the only win situation is for the fans who get what they want.

Win/win doesn't come into it.
Don't you think you're being just a touch pedantic.

First goal was initially aurier committing and getting done but there is plenty in the box to cut that ball out. Instead deflected and ricocheted around. It amazes me how professional footballers can do that. Second is on tanganga doing that aurier did for the first. Again no one can cut out a simple ball cross after. Don't even get me started on their winner. Again they run through the entire team. All just half hearted attempts at a tackle. Just so easy. Think that'd us done now, cannot see us winning many games with this defence. Why he played tanganga and dier when JV and Toby are around is beyond me.

First goal was initially aurier committing and getting done but there is plenty in the box to cut that ball out. Instead deflected and ricocheted around. It amazes me how professional footballers can do that. Second is on tanganga doing that aurier did for the first. Again no one can cut out a simple ball cross after. Don't even get me started on their winner. Again they run through the entire team. All just half hearted attempts at a tackle. Just so easy. Think that'd us done now, cannot see us winning many games with this defence. Why he played tanganga and dier when JV and Toby are around is beyond me.
Yes was really surprised when saw the starting XI, How can you drop Toby! JV is better than Davies and more experienced than Tangana. Both fit and on the bench. Wrong.

I'm going to take it back to December 2018.

There I was sitting at a really empty Wembley stadium on a cold and wet day. We were winning 1-0 with a serious strike by kane in this fixture last season. I was thinking we've got this in the bag, we were in great form at the time. This was easy!

Then an almighty collapse in the 2nd half, because we were outnumbered in midfield after Nuno made a substitution to bring on Mountinho. Ended Spurs 1, Wolves 3.

That was the start of the demise of the Poch era. And left us in the current predicament we find ourselves in now.

Can we use this fixture, this season to turn it around so that next season I can look back to today and think we've made some progress.

I live in hope.....
..... And its the hope that kills me!

But come rain or shine I'll be there supporting Tottenham Hotspur Football Club (not Enic, JM, levy or any of the players!)

Starting with Norwich on Wednesday evening.

Dele just needs dropping. Too busy filming videos instead of playing football. Awful again today and just casual in everything and generally poor in everything he does. Needs to pull his socks up. Cannot see him being in the England squad like this.

Still fucked off. At times we played quite well today. Was neat and controlled without being amazing. But by Christ, when they went through the gears we just could not live with it. And we had no gears to go through.

Whatever way I try to digest the performance I simply can’t find a way past the annoyance and frustration.

Wolves, I am glad that they exposed all the nonsense and our hiding places today.

they have, within what 4 years ? Assembled a squad that’s challenging for the Top 4. Whereas it took Levy how long ? Ok Chinese money has totally helped close the gap quickly, but it exposes the truth again that it’s ££££ that is key for the squad members to join and then perform, not a nice locker room, not a nice stadium etc. These things help but never as much as wedge does.

and then there is Jose and his “tired” excuses for Chelsea last week, well Wolves did not find it too hard to find the accelerator when needed today despite playing Thursday night after their 45 game this season. And that’s an excuse from the Harry days about “Thursday’s killing us...” it’s just bullshit.

I like Jose, I like him a lot, I wish he was not our manager. He’s too much of a target and another scapegoat waiting to be scarified on the alter of ENIC. He must be thinking “oh fuck” and to be honest I don’t see how he gets past May at this rate. FA Cup perhaps. But all of that said, what you doing bringing on Parrott with 4 minutes stoppage time to play ? Jesus wept.

Spurs as a club just lack something, and I‘m now concluding that Poch never got what he wanted because Levy thought he had enough. I think Madrid covered over the cracks and actually let ENIC off, why should they spend with a squad capable of the Champions League final. Jesus it’s such a mess. All theory. But over a year now it’s been a cluster fuck of inconsistent unconvincing shit.

Amen brother! Some right thinking folks were having some of this before the deed was done. But you had those really bright lights that went with the conventional wisdom of sacking one instead of 11...what they failed to recognize was so many were done, in the last year contract, wanted out anyway, or were shit. Now they are starting to recognize that but the chairman still feels otherwise hence Toby's new contract when we know he's past it.

Season was a write-off in the summer. So instead of 'wasting' one year building with shiny, new and young players we are going to have to waster 2+ years but suffer jurassic football with old cloggers. Should have canned these pretenders and backed Poch. Now we've behaved like Chelsea of the past and have their past-it manager. Shambles.

But at least the peanut gallery got what they wanted.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall during Levy's private meetings with Jose. I wonder if it will be shown on the Amazon documentary.

Back
Top Bottom