Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BT pundits, even Hoddle were shithouse tonight.

No Kane, no Sissoko, No Son, Lamela could only help for 20 minutes, the same with Ndombele, we had 2 full days to recover and get 2 full days before we go again. You'd think ex pros like Lineker, Hoddle and Ferdinand would have a little empathy but it seems they went the snide route because we didn't make the most of a couple of decent chances and gave away a sloppy, individual mistake with the pen.

This one is far from over based on a few areas I saw this evening. Really unimpressed with BT and I think Mourinho was as well.
Yeah it is annoying, but when ex pros make comments on second rate pay per view TV aimed at the US market my only question is whether I should start listening or stop picking my nose.

It's becoming a trend started by Gary Nev.:

"We always wore our socks higher up the leg in our day"
"Can't believe he's not got his shinpads on before kick off. Substitutes have no excuse"
"If the tea were cold at half time, Sir Alex would have taken her out and shot her under the Stretford. There's literally bodies piled up out there"

Can't hear you f*cks. Too busy with my nose hair.

We'll have to see it differently then Bill. Losing Kane and Son within weeks of each other was a sickener. Son scored 6 in 5 building up to this game and we were averaged 2.5 goals a game for the last 5 fixtures. It's brutal we lose both for most if not all of the campaign it's shit luck.

People have to accept that Levy hasn't been the stingy person people apparently want him to be to prove a point. I bet there ain't too many teams who have spent as much as we have in the last 7-8 months it's just a killer of a blow but we move on.
We lost Kane SEVEN weeks ago. Levy had FOUR weeks to rectify the situation.

I seem to remember you and others who have since rowed back on their original standpoint saying mid January that it would be unforgiveable if we didn't bring in a striker in the transfer window.

At what point did it turn out to be just bad luck, hey-ho?

Poch & Jose trying to navigate a Spurs team through Europe

giphy.gif
Yeah, but those hands aren't behind their backs so they have an advantage over most. --Levy logic.

We dont have the players Liverpool have now. 3 Seasons ago they looked just like us. It took time to reach the heights they have. Davies and Aurier aren't League winning material. Hopefully Lamela and Ndombele are in the clear. We need patience. And we need to stop expecting overnight changes to bring success. We not a City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea that spends huge money on buying the best. We've bought what can be moulded to be the best.
Exactly. That's why I'm all in for giving time to players that can be top tier in Europe, and very reluctant to pushing likes of Aurier. Still, Winks, Davies can be useful squad players, but even if we are out of our problems and set things running as we want, Aurier is going to be weak spot. Some bad decisions, some mistouches and the trouble is there, even if he can contribute to our game, like today.

I agree with Mourinho, I'm proud of the players tonight, we dug in and defended well against a very good side.

We gave it a good go and we are still clinging on in the tie by our finger nails.

The crowd was good as well.

I can see a lot of positives, and I can see us becoming a little bit more resilient every game.

I suppose the doom and gloom merchants will be all over that performance/result, but I don't see it that way

COYS!
They played us off the park mate.

I've no problem with us sitting deep on the edge of our box and letting them take pot shots from 25yrds, but all their shots were from good positions in our own box. We aren't even capable of putting 11 men behind the ball without conceding shots at will from dangerous positions.

Our tactics are one of praying that the other side don't take their chances.

We lost Kane SEVEN weeks ago. Levy had FOUR weeks to rectify the situation.

I seem to remember you and others who have since rowed back on their original standpoint saying mid January that it would be unforgiveable if we didn't bring in a striker in the transfer window.

At what point did it turn out to be just bad luck, hey-ho?

Not sure if I'm getting the point I'm making across... I'm talking about losing Kane & Son is a killer blow, not just Kane.

I said at the time and I stand by it that we should have signed a striker, it just made sense to but not a short term solution for an over inflated fee. If offered Willian Jose for £25m and having £25m less for a more long term option to utilise I would rather we had waited and used that money to do so. Obviously losing Son means it's a risk that has massively backfired but I understand why the club did so, it's just blown up in our faces.

Yes we should have signed someone but with Bergwijn coming in I saw the need as less important than it was early doors in the window. Obviously with hindsight my view has altered with Sonny now done but as I said Bill it is what it is.

The tie being just 0-1 means we have a fighting chance.

We've all seen red cards, penalties, counter attacks, goals off of people's arses change games. We go to Germany with plenty of hope, especially based on that last 30 minutes or so. Onto Chelsea now, its uphill but we don't have a chance if we all start getting sulky with the situation, it is what it is
Even Mark Twain would've struggled in HTML

Not sure if I'm getting the point I'm making across... I'm talking about losing Kane & Son is a killer blow, not just Kane.

I said at the time and I stand by it that we should have signed a striker, it just made sense to but not a short term solution for an over inflated fee. If offered Willian Jose for £25m and having £25m less for a more long term option to utilise I would rather we had waited and used that money to do so. Obviously losing Son means it's a risk that has massively backfired but I understand why the club did so, it's just blown up in our faces.

Yes we should have signed someone but with Bergwijn coming in I saw the need as less important than it was early doors in the window. Obviously with hindsight my view has altered with Sonny now done but as I said Bill it is what it is.
Imagine this....

You're the CEO of a big production company. You have a chance of securing a number of major contracts. Then your most important piece of machinery breaks down. Your back-up plan isn't a replacement piece of machinery but a patch, another machine which you can take from somewhere else and use as a stand-in.

But fear not. There's a window of opportunity in which you can get a substitute machine which will probably do a decent job. However, you fail to do so because the fair price that that supplier is asking for is above the cut-price you won't go over. So you're entirely reliant on a stand-in machine which could be doing a better job elsewhere. And of course, there's always the very real risk that this stand-in might have mechanical problems at some point.

Which it then does.

How do you think your shareholders would view your stewardship of this situation, your risk assessment and mitigation skills?

Back
Top Bottom