Tottenham Hotspur vs Barcelona - UCL 3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry but IMO if you cant tolerate fans standing and supporting their team you should be subject to a banning order preventing you being within 3 miles of a football ground on match days....

...And shunt anyone over a certain age or physical fitness to the disabled section, yeh?

Read my follow up post.

Mature discussion available if desired.

Never go full Woolwich. But we are going on that route

Let's face it tho.... If what you say is true there is a key diff:

Gooners and top 4 was the acceptance of a decline (despite all the tall of stadium-capped spending, they still managed to accumulate a 200m stash of cash in an era of far less TV money). A symbol of theirv regression of you will.

Whereas Top 4 represents us punching above our financially established weight in the new footy order. A sign of our progression in other words.

Anyway... Like you, i say bring on da REAL glory.

Don't be dense mate, I was saying we're Tottenham, not Norwich. We're not a plucky provincial team, we're one that has pretensions of going toe-to-toe with the country's and the continent's finest.

And GDN, I didn't miss THE point, I was commenting on A point you made, namely "I've heard dickhead comments today how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements". The implication is that you think we didn't.

When you have to bring on a non-footballer like Sissoko to turn the game around because the only alternative on the bench is a lad who's just turned 18 and has never before been an unused sub, let alone played for the first team, it would seem to suggest that we very much DID we need reinforcements in the summer. If you think that's a "dickhead comment" then so be it, I'd say it was an opinion shared by the vast majority of Spurs fans

You can't have it both ways though...you can't simultaneously moan about the signings we haven't made along with the signings we have...maybe one of the reasons that we didn't buy just any shit for £30M was because of the shit that we did buy for £30M...

So we didn't need reinforcements, is that what you're saying? That the "sign nobody" policy this summer was actually a cunning plan?

Yeah we lost, hey ho, bad luck plucky li'l Tottenham.

I remember Norwich in the 93-94 UEFA Cup, beating Bayern but losing to Inter Milan. That was the narrative then. Again and again it's how I see people explaining Spurs, the whole "punching above our weight" apologetics

It was the outcome of the window, not the policy.

Theres a huge difference. Then again, you ain't stupid.... You knew that already.

:pochunimpressed:

We were a mess last night. We have failed to invest and have moved backwards from where we were a year ago.
I'm in favour of financial responsibility, and I think Levy has done well considering what he started with, but we have missed an opportunity to achieve greatness. We have chosen mediocrity. Most of you lot are putting your efforts into spinning this. Why? Why excuse the club's decay with bullshit? Wake up
i am just wondering what your expectations were for last night .Do you think there is a team in any league that could drop four 1st team players and play barcelona off the pitch. I thought we were playing well and i was pissed at loris for some mad decisions, i think saying we choose mediocrity is a bit harsh.

No...we're not fine with it...we just don't beat people over the head with it every chance we get...
I must have misread the numerous posts that re-imagined Pochettino's "we have to be brave" as meaning "we have to be brave by not signing anyone", just to give one example.

Not surprising that everone is seeking to distance themselves from their earlier views mind

Last edited:
Which you and others were fine with

...And?

(Deluded peeps such as yourself seem to think infinite squad depth is an available reality.... )

The fact that an already depleted team didnt have option C's on our bench to trouble Messi and co in no way whatsoever vindicates your agenda/narrative.

Aaaaaaanyway...

As per my initial reply, you don't deny you ARE fake news then?

(Avoided bullshitting this time....That's something i spose. :pochrolleyes:)

I must have misread the numerous posts that re-imagined Pochettinos "we have to be brave" as meaning "we have to be brave by not signing anyone", just to give one example.

Not surprising that everone is seeking to distance themselves from their earlier views mind

Fake news again.

The counter argument was that Poch wasn't demanding or declaring we spend big.

i am just wondering what your expectations were for last night .Do you think there is a team in any league that could drop four 1st team players and play barcelona off the pitch. I thought we were playing well and i was pissed at loris for some mad decisions, i think saying we choose mediocrity is a bit harsh.
Barca strolled through that last night.

No

Now fuck off
U fucking dropkick....im guessing it's nearly time for your bath before mummy makes you go to bed..gotta get a good sleep for school tomorrow little fucking boy....im sick of fucking brain dead morons...this is a fucking forum if We all agreed with you it would not be a forum would it.. u get all aggressive with fellow supporters I wonder what you are like in school when someone who supports a different team has a dig at you..wow hope your school chums only support teams that are playing worse than us...lmao

We were a mess last night. We have failed to invest and have moved backwards from where we were a year ago.
I'm in favour of financial responsibility, and I think Levy has done well considering what he started with, but we have missed an opportunity to achieve greatness. We have chosen mediocrity. Most of you lot are putting your efforts into spinning this. Why? Why excuse the club's decay with bullshit? Wake up
Very well put mate. Totally agree, apart from levy...i just can't have him. Any decent chairmen could of done what he has, in my opinion. He is nothing special in the business world..but you hit the rest smack on. Brilliant explanation

We've moved backwards, sadly, since the end of the 16/17 season. It's very difficult for a club of our nature (owners who don't want to splash the cash without high percentage certainty of getting a return on their investments) and our revenue comparative to that of our rivals, to maintain competing at that level.

You seem to think that it's the fans' fault though. What can we really do, as fans? Go to the games, create an atmosphere, sing, get behind the team. I do all that. Having an opinion on a message board ain't going to change anything. The most we could do is mobilise a movement to oust the manager or chairman/owners, but that would be madness- in my opinion.

The manager is doing a brilliant job with what he has.

And whilst Levy/ENIC can be overly cautious at times, and as fans that's frustrating, I'd rather that than being run like Man City/Chelsea, or gambling away the club's future. I can't really think of a chairman I'd rather have- can you?

Last edited:
We've moved backwards, sadly, since the end of the 15/16 season. It's very difficult for a club of our nature (owners who don't want to splash the cash without high percentage certainty of getting a return on their investments) and our revenue comparative to that of our rivals, to maintain competing at that level.

You seem to think that it's the fans' fault though. What can we really do, as fans? Go to the games, create an atmosphere, sing, get behind the team. I do all that. Having an opinion on a message board ain't going to change anything. The most we could do is mobilise a movement to oust the manager or chairman/owners, but that would be madness- in my opinion.

The manager is doing a brilliant job with what he has.

And whilst Levy/ENIC can be overly cautious at times, and as fans that's frustrating, I'd rather that than being run like Man City/Chelsea, or gambling away the club's future. I can't really think of a chairman I'd rather have- can you?

Surely you mean 16/17?

But even then, most would agree we've moved backwards. We haven't even had a stadium for a year and a half. That's tough in itself.

That's the nature of football.

Back
Top Bottom