Tottenham Hotspur vs Barcelona - UCL 3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is where we belong! Hoping for another unbelievable night like last season against Madrid. I think we can win this.

Last edited:
For years I’ve wanted to see us up against Messi in a competitive match, and now it’s happening. The guy is a magician.

I remember when Zidane was asked about the rumour that he nearly joined us, and he said he’d never heard of us. Well Messi will already know about us after our recent seasons (especially spanking Madrid), but he’ll soon see us in full force.

Barca have been my second favourite team since I was 12, and this is a dream fixture. Naturally I hope we destroy them.

There are a few players at Barca I admire, like Busquets and Messi, but this is all about getting a result and I think we will get at least a draw. We more or less need to after the unfortunate loss at Inter.

Glad this one starts at 8pm, much better than 5:55pm (at least for me).

This is going to be something special. Tottenham Hotspur are going to be going up against one of the best football teams in the world. Against one of the best midfielders of his generation in Busquets and arguably the greatest footballer of all time in Messi.

These are the nights we dream of. We will learn alot from this game. I just hope we fucking give it a good go. It could really be a special game under the lights.

No idea how Poch is going to line up here. I still remember him shocking us last year when starting Vertonghen at left back, Winks and Sissoko in central midfield and Llorente up top against Madrid.

I hope we go with:

Gazzaniga
Toby - Sanchez - Vert
Trippier - Winks - Wanyama - Eriksen - Rose
Lamela
Kane
But I can't see us being that brave. I think he'll probably bring Davies in for Rose. He'll no doubt start Dier and depending on the fitness of Vertonghen will likely play 4 at the back.

For years I’ve wanted to see us up against Messi in a competitive match, and now it’s happening. The guy is a magician.

I remember when Zidane was asked about the rumour that he nearly joined us, and he said he’d never heard of us. Well Messi will already know about us after our recent seasons (especially spanking Madrid), but he’ll soon see us in full force.

Barca have been my second favourite team since I was 12, and this is a dream fixture. Naturally I hope we destroy them.

Well Zidane certainly knew who we were last season when we had him bent over for two matches.

As for the team who the fuck knows with all our injuries so I’m going to guess..

Gaz
Trippier Toby Sanchez Rose
Winks Wanyama
Son Lamela Lucas
Kane

I have been waiting for this fixture for years and so excited but nervous in equal measure. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves and we're not embarrassed.
It will be great to see Messi in the flesh, there's no question he is one of the game's greatest players.
I hope that our players rise to the occasion, after all, if they don't relish playing in this level of game, then they shouldn't be playing.

This is going to be something special. Tottenham Hotspur are going to be going up against one of the best football teams in the world. Against one of the best midfielders of his generation in Busquets and arguably the greatest footballer of all time in Messi.

These are the nights we dream of. We will learn alot from this game. I just hope we fucking give it a good go. It could really be a special game under the lights.

No idea how Poch is going to line up here. I still remember him shocking us last year when starting Vertonghen at left back, Winks and Sissoko in central midfield and Llorente up top against Madrid.

I hope we go with:

Gazzaniga
Toby - Sanchez - Vert
Lamela
Kane
But I can't see us being that brave. I think he'll probably bring Davies in for Rose. He'll no doubt start Dier and depending on the fitness of Vertonghen will likely play 4 at the back.

Biggest problem is injuries :

- Winks and Wanyama looked better when they came on for the 2nd half today - but its a big jump to playing 90 minutes against Barca. If they start will Poch need to anticipate a sub fir both of them mid way into the 2nd half ?

- Will Eriksen fit, he wasn't today ?

- Is Vertonghen ok, picked up some kind of strain today ? If not is it Dier coming in ?

- Dembele, (as Vertonghen) ?

I think Rose will start as he's looking as if he's getting back into form. unlike Davies.

Biggest problem is injuries :

- Winks and Wanyama looked better when they came on for the 2nd half today - but its a big jump to playing 90 minutes against Barca. If they start will Poch need to anticipate a sub fir both of them mid way into the 2nd half ?

- Will Eriksen fit, he wasn't today ?

- Is Vertonghen ok, picked up some kind of strain today ? If not is it Dier coming in ?

- Dembele, (as Vertonghen) ?

I think Rose will start as he's looking as if he's getting back into form. unlike Davies.

They did look better and Poch has shocked us with Champions League line ups before. As mentioned, Winks and Llorente starting at the Bernebeu. We need people in midfield who can keep the ball. Dier is not that.

Poch alluded that Eriksen and perhaps even Lloris would be fit for the game.

No idea on Vertonghen, will be assessed I guess - Dembele is fine apparently.

I hope we go with:

Gazzaniga
Toby - Sanchez - Vert
Lamela
Kane

So far a back three has left us overly exposed in midfield, even with the stronger duo of Winks and Wanyama. Just too much space on in the mid channels and between our CM2 line and the back 5. The back 5 have played really flat so far this year. Which makes getting behind us harder, but we have also been pinched in the midfield with how much ground the CM2have had to play.

So I agree if we do it, we will have to have Eriksen play deeper, but then I think our shape is all wrong going forward.

With who we have as personnel, we have to go to a 4231

Don’t take this the wrong way as obviously I want us to smash em, but I can’t lie, I’m quite excited that I’m gonna see Messi in the flesh. One to tell the grandkids.

Aside from that, repeat of last year vs Madrid please, and I reckon we will. COYS:tobyarm:

We beat the 3x in a row champions of Europe if you don’t think we can take it to Barca you aren’t Spurs. This is the time to let all the shit go and support our boys.

3-1
Kane x2, Lamela
Messi

COYS!

Like us, Barca are in a bit of a rough patch at the moment. Having said that, not sure that half of their team is missing like ours is. Will be an interesting match for sure, but we can't give up the midfield like we have during the last 3 games. Rakitic, Busquets, Vidal and Coutinho will destroy us if we misplace passes, play slowly and give them time on the ball.

I see this as a matter of some irrelevance.

We have to get through the game without further injury more than anything else I feel.

The 2 PSV games and the return match with Inter are far more significant than this and our return at the Nou camp.

Back
Top Bottom