Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WILL WE WIN?

• Total voters
Welcome home
="Erik_Edman, post: 451552, member: 1252"]Stayed away from this place since AVB was sacked because I knew the reaction to that and Sherwood's appointment was going to be teutonic. Have we come around to liking Timmy's brand of actually-nice-and-still-successful football yet?[/quote]
Wekome

I get in trouble all the time for looking too casual while seeing patients as a student. I hate ties, superb vectors of disease they are. However, it does matter to some people regardless of the practicality. I'm also not working in front of and representing a brand to millions of people across the world. Guy needs to wear the suit.

Im fairly sure the Spurs Store sells more Trackies than it does suits.
Just saying !

Don't get me wrong, I'm fucking ecstatic we best the Mancs, it's made my festive period, but I can't help but feel the emotion and feeling was more in the 3-2 last year. Is this a sign that we've grown as a club since last season? I think it is as winning at OT before last year seemed well out of the question.

True, but more needed psychologically after the City and Liverpool results and especially during a transfer window.

The turmoil this result has crucially helped stir at that club will also play into our favor, as players Man U will undoubtedly pursue will look at the offer with a little less optimism, thus assisting to put them off in our fight to get back into the top four frame.

Dawson did quite well holding the line and clearing the ball out of the air, just still needs to stop trying long passes. He completes maybe 10% of them. Eriksen did quite well, he's been great in the wing position. Lennon had a good game, but he wanked on a very solid opportunity early in the game. Really poorly taken.
10% - really?
I know people cane the guy for doing it, but that kind of stat is rubbish. His long passing is actually quite impressive in its accuracy, just that the person receiving it is sometimes too short or under a certain amount of pressure on receiving it. So Dawson completes a high percentage, its just the reception stats that are poor.......
:)
I read that Soldado shanked another sitter. I'm so desperate for that guy to hit the payload, I'm convinced he's going to go mental once he does.

I get in trouble all the time for looking too casual while seeing patients as a student. I hate ties, superb vectors of disease they are. However, it does matter to some people regardless of the practicality. I'm also not working in front of and representing a brand to millions of people across the world. Guy needs to wear the suit.
Im sorry, cant agree. Wearing a suit or a tracksuit is irrelevant. His dress code will only offer an image whereas winning games says a lot more. I really don't believe it matters what he wears but getting results will have him accepted.

10% - really?
I know people cane the guy for doing it, but that kind of stat is rubbish. His long passing is actually quite impressive in its accuracy, just that the person receiving it is sometimes too short or under a certain amount of pressure on receiving it. So Dawson completes a high percentage, its just the reception stats that are poor.......
:)
I read that Soldado shanked another sitter. I'm so desperate for that guy to hit the payload, I'm convinced he's going to go mental once he does.

That "maybe" before the number denotes that it is in no way an actual stat nor should be quoted in any of your discussions of the matter for fear of looking silly.

Only thing i'm a bit wary of today is the Cap/Dem partnership, can't recall them playing together in any shape or form for anything other than the last ten minutes against Stoke. Be interesting, might suit Dembele down to the ground as long as Capoue leashes himself. I love the look of Capoue, first four games of this season I thought he was probably our best player before the Woolwich game. His interceptions and tackling on the floor looked right up there. Does have a tendency to do a Zokora sometimes though, just keep on sprinting forward for a million yards with the ball, just needs to reign that in today as Dembele will be doing the classy stuff, just want Capoue to get all up in Rooneys business, try and stop him drifting and spraying balls about. Same with every United/Spurs game ever also, just get the fucking ball to Azza please, we've got two aerially good forwards in the opposition box and a winger up against a fullback who literally gets in a mess every meeting. 2-1 Spurs:sherwoodlol:
First time in three years on this forum i've predicted correctly :freundgoal:

All fair points. But weather permitting, I maintain he should be in the suit. You can be your own man and win ball games while looking a professional.

What is not professional about wearing the club sporting attire? What about assistants and the other coaches then? Should Tony Parkes have to wear a club suit aswell? It's just bollocks mate I'm sorry.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and there is more than one way to be a football manager (and as Tim said, more than one way to win football matches).

As soon as a bloke stands up there in a club tracksuit with a normal accent and plays 442 people just can't take him seriously because he hasn't come from some exotic European location, doesn't play the trendy 451/433 and doesn't spout inflated bullshit to the press as if every comment is a grand insight into the game of football. People find it all to simplistic. People like to think football is this grand and complicated game and can't be simplified by a man from Borehamwood. It's the very same reason Harry Redknapp wasn't given the England's manager job.

I am not against foreign managers, managers wearing suits, or managers playing the 451/433 formation - but I do not buy into the snobbery that persists right up to the highest level in English football at the moment that stops talented managers getting their chances because their face doesn't fit the brand image and profile.

As I am writing this I am watching Chris Hughton on MOTD come across as a totally bland and uninspiring robot in his club suit and tie. All very professional, prim and proper - but not the kind of bloke I'd want in the dressing room to gee up the players before a big game at Old Trafford.

If I had to stand out on the touchline in freezing temperatures and driving rain, I wouldn't fancy wearing my best whistle and tie, nice shoes and a trendy mac either. I'd rather wear something a lot more comfortable and appropriate.

In fact I take him more seriously for not conforming to the norm because he's clearly very much his own man who does things his way, from the way he handles the press, the way he sets up his spurs team and down to the way he dresses on the touchline. It would be very easy for a young rookie manager to just follow convention and do what 95% of other managers do in the Premier League.

Even if he wore a Tony Pulis-esque baseball cap I'd take him more seriously than some Portuguese bloke in his designer suit looking like a lost little boy as spurs get spanked 6-0 and 5-0 to league rivals.

Agree completely. The reference to AVB is sad, a bit cruel... but oh so true.

Watching Match Of The Day at the moment. How does Rooney get away with his harrassment of referee's? Should of walked.

Also, what an absolute pathetic wanker Moyes is in his post match interview. Hope he gets sacked now. I'll have a beer when he does.
I though that surley if your harraunging the ref after the final whistle you csn still be carded.

Was at the game, hungover as fuck. I now have no voice. The crowd was immense.

Thought that Sherwood has done well (as evidenced by a small but committed group singing "Tim Sherwood's blue and white army" - the first time I've heard it sung.

Great to see the team playing as well as they did. Outplaying an average United side isn't perfect but it's something to build upon for The Big One.

Adebayor was great, Soldado was good, Lennon was great. Rose was very good down the left though he was isolated a bit - Eriksen seemed keener to push up than chip in with the defensive duties so I can see why Rose was exposed but kept Janusaz quiet until they scored their goal. At that point, it became very touch and go. Walker was excellent as he has been this entire season.

Sherwood made excellent substitutions. I am becoming a convert.

What is not professional about wearing the club sporting attire? What about assistants and the other coaches then? Should Tony Parkes have to wear a club suit aswell? It's just bollocks mate I'm sorry.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and there is more than one way to be a football manager (and as Tim said, more than one way to win football matches).

As soon as a bloke stands up there in a club tracksuit with a normal accent and plays 442 people just can't take him seriously because he hasn't come from some exotic European location, doesn't play the trendy 451/433 and doesn't spout inflated bullshit to the press as if every comment is a grand insight into the game of football. People find it all to simplistic. People like to think football is this grand and complicated game and can't be simplified by a man from Borehamwood. It's the very same reason Harry Redknapp wasn't given the England's manager job.

I am not against foreign managers, managers wearing suits, or managers playing the 451/433 formation - but I do not buy into the snobbery that persists right up to the highest level in English football at the moment that stops talented managers getting their chances because their face doesn't fit the brand image and profile.

As I am writing this I am watching Chris Hughton on MOTD come across as a totally bland and uninspiring robot in his club suit and tie. All very professional, prim and proper - but not the kind of bloke I'd want in the dressing room to gee up the players before a big game at Old Trafford.

The suit says nothing about the individual, much like that tie I'm forced to wear around patients doesn't say shit about me. It's about how you present yourself. You make fair points, but whether you like it or agree with it, people expect these things from people in high positions.

It's nothin personal against Timmy, and you're absolutely right I'll take victories anyday, but the managers at the top clubs all wear suits. If we're to build on up and become a respected team in European football, a few little things to look the part that suffer no negative consequences are no skin off anyone's back. Look the part please, Timmy.
I think he needs to work a bit harder on his skincare regime, too.
I thought we looked bloody awful after Capoue came off.

Although Timmy supported them as a boy and (allegedly) has a tat, don't forget he scored a decisive goal against them in (I think) 1999. It was the second goal and we ended up winning 2:1

why are people so obsessed with whether we are playing a 442 or some other gucci formation?
what matters is whether we are playing well, defending well, competing in the midfield and scoring goals
who really gives a shit on how we achieve all of those key components?

Back
Top Bottom