Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, I should have, and done ages too, but I was lazy.

I was thinking when I read the list initially, that it was interesting work (especially Berahino being that far down the list) but it really needed leagues considered in. Not just noted alongside, but the strength of league (and quite possibly the strength of the player's team compared to the rest of the league) considered into the equation for it to be of true value.

It's interesting enough in itself, but it needs a bit more imo to really tell anything about a player's contribution, or I should specify, his contribution as it might translate to being useful for us and make him a good signing.

I was thinking when I read the list initially, that it was interesting work (especially Berahino being that far down the list) but it really needed leagues considered in. Not just noted alongside, but the strength of league (and quite possibly the strength of the player's team compared to the rest of the league) considered into the equation for it to be of true value.

It's interesting enough in itself, but it needs a bit more imo to really tell anything about a player's contribution, or I should specify, his contribution as it might translate to being useful for us and make him a good signing.
And also who the manager of the team is, what tactics they play. If I'm a striker for West Brom and Tony fucking Pullis, I'm not going to be anywhere near the top of that list, because Pullis is a defensive cunt.

Certainly don't want it! Just pointing out that there are so many variables, these figures don't really mean anything.

Not wanting to piss on your work though.
Yes, if you want to give them the context to make sense of them, a lot more work needs to be done. Which is what a club is supposed to have a scouting/recruiting team for. Although apparently a few English clubs just open up whoscored or sqwaka and pick players based on their ratings. And then wonder what went wrong.
:avbcringe:

And it's not like what I'm doing is useful work. Just a bit of excel addition to get equal numbers. Useful stuff should do a hell of a lot more than that.

It's logical, but if you can't prove it, all you have is an assertion, so doing the work to actually show it exists, and when it seems to happen in a player's career is important.

I think, he's named the piece wrong. It really is about when players peak and not how they age, at least specifically how they age during the latter years of their careers.

My initial feeling was of surprise that the dropoff wasn't bigger past late 20's/early 30's. Which made me realize that he's overlooking an important factor. He's only looking at the top five leagues, which often is fine. But in this case for players 30plus-ish, he's essentially comparing the top of the food chain to the pack. Only the very best in terms of ability plus the very best at taking care of their body will still be in the top five leagues at that stage. The rest will be in the Championship, Turkey, China or the States.

I think, he's named the piece wrong. It really is about when players peak and not how they age, at least specifically how they age during the latter years of their careers.

My initial feeling was of surprise that the dropoff wasn't bigger past late 20's/early 30's. Which made me realize that he's overlooking an important factor. He's only looking at the top five leagues, which often is fine. But in this case for players 30plus-ish, he's essentially comparing the top of the food chain to the pack. Only the very best in terms of ability plus the very best at taking care of their body will still be in the top five leagues at that stage. The rest will be in the Championship, Turkey, China or the States.
You need data to be able to quantify that though, and Opta's coverage of some of those leagues is either scant or even entirely non-existent.

I realise, he doesn't have the data. Just surprised he doesn't note it himself, as a potential bug.
I think this was partly down to him being out of practice writing, and maybe his normal clients not caring about going that far down the food chain. But the differences at lower levels do matter, as you say.

Back
Top Bottom