Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's only been 5 games, so everything can be taken with a grain of salt, etc. BUT, some patterns are starting to form that make for interesting reading.

Like last year, we are showing strong signs of being one of the contenders, even if the performances thus far have been kind of flat. The biggest difference is that last year we opened with a loss, 3 draws and then a win. This time, we're earning points from the off.

Happily, Woolwich seem to be in real trouble. Yeah, yeah, they're in fourth. But they are simply not creating chances at anywhere near a normal rate. They've had a bunch of stuff bounce their way so far, and things generally don't continue like that over a season. Either they fix things fast, or this could be the season they finally fall apart.

Also, Watford have now had 2 great results, are flying high, and putting points on the board early, which will serve them well come relegation-fight time. But a word of warning:

That kind of conversion % will cool off in all likelihood. And when it does...

Janssen has blown a few early chances, but it's interesting that this also follows his pattern from last year, where he struggled to score initially for AZ, but based on the quality of his shooting, should've been well up there. I think we should take heart, he's looking like he will prove decent.

Last edited:
Not sure if already posted, but I find this interesting.

unbenannt3tko6cusbe.png

Klopp gegenpressing the shit out of the matches.
Pep having everyone run around for his positional play.
Poch a mix of the above.
Mourinho still stuck in 2004.

unbenannt3tko6cusbe.png

Poch a mix of the above.
.................and Burnley & WBA chasing shadows!

Just shows how utterly meaningless these stats are without context to how the team plays.

unbenannt3tko6cusbe.png

Poch a mix of the above.
Seems to be a pretty good summary of things.

Mourinho really has fuck all to contribute here. Trying to fit Rooney, Pogba, Zlatan and Martial into a line-up is proving fatal. He's not incompetent, but he's also not smart enough to do what's needed to this MUFC team. Or at least, he's not strong enough to tell the ownership where to stick it and do it. Either way, it's costing them and I'm happy about it.

Mourinho really has fuck all to contribute here. Trying to fit Rooney, Pogba, Zlatan and Martial into a line-up is proving fatal. He's not incompetent, but he's also not smart enough to do what's needed to this MUFC team. Or at least, he's not strong enough to tell the ownership where to stick it and do it. Either way, it's costing them and I'm happy about it.
I think he needs to evolve tactically. His added value was basically mindgames and he still thinks he can mostly stick to that. But now the Premier League has more tactically aware managers than ever. Guardiola, Klopp, Poch, all the Italians, etc.

I think boro will stay up, more to do with their defence than anything else. Whilst we haven't clicked yet, I still think we have played better than both Citeh and manure. We will finish higher than both.

But I know what you mean, that table feels more or less right.
I know your post is from a few weeks back but i do not think anyone but city will take the title, have watched them play and the way they defend, press and work together as an unit is very impressive. They dont even seem to miss Aguero that much and that's very telling.

I think he needs to evolve tactically. His added value was basically mindgames and he still thinks he can mostly stick to that. But now the Premier League has more tactically aware managers than ever. Guardiola, Klopp, Poch, all the Italians, etc.
Mindgames and parking the bus with a focus on very fast counter attacks, something he tried against City and failed miserably at that

and Sunderland are in a real mess if you look at that distance table, not only do they create less, have less of the ball but seem to be putting in less effort (or are keeping way too many players behind the ball)

He has to drop Rooney. Its as simple as that.

I know your post is from a few weeks back but i do not think anyone but city will take the title, have watched them play and the way they defend, press and work together as an unit is very impressive. They dont even seem to miss Aguero that much and that's very telling.
Agree, they do look good but worse they are improving.

However, there is another way to look at it, they have had a worse start than last year, after last year they hadn't conceded a single goal and had averaged 4 goals per game. This season they have conceded 4 goals and averaged 3 per game.

Looking at this in closer detail who have they played? Stoke, West Ham, Sunderland, Bournemouth these four teams occupy the four lowest positions in the league table!!! Stoke, Sunderland, West Ham have scored against them!!!! Stoke, Sunderland & Bournemouth have the joint worst goals for in the League!! The other team they have played is Manure, who look like they did last year.

They play Swansea in the League next then us. Just like last year they will turn up full of themselves, dicks swinging between their knees. They will look to blow us away in the first 20mins, however we will stand firm, take the onsluaght and play on the physiological scars we inflicted on them last year, we will pick at that scab and make it bleed.

They play Swansea in the League next then us. Just like last year they will turn up full of themselves, dicks swinging between their knees. They will look to blow us away in the first 20mins, however we will stand firm, take the onsluaght and play on the physiological scars we inflicted on them last year, we will pick at that scab and make it bleed.
Haha i was at the game last year and the first 20 mins really looked like they would slaughter us but what a game it turned out to be in the end. I'm hopeful now, thanks for that :)

Haha i was at the game last year and the first 20 mins really looked like they would slaughter us but what a game it turned out to be in the end. I'm hopeful now, thanks for that :)
I thought we were going to get stuffed 5 nil, they were sublime. They did a Liverpool, blew themselves out. We are a smart side, we are also good technically. We can play out of a press and if we can't we just kick the ball into touch for a throw-in. We are a difficult side to beat, in the league NO ONE has scored a goal in open play against us. If we do concede we always stay in the game, which is what we did against them last year.

I think that's partly down to sample size. It's early days yet, so the better defensive contenders may only be separated by a couple of goals/shots across 5-6 teams.
Agreed but would also expect similar "closeness" in attack?? Then again may be not, taking into account the defensive style of Moureen and Dilly the Dong. Yeah, need more games.

Back
Top Bottom