TOTTENHAM VS SUNDERLAND (JERMAIN DEFOE DERBY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thats another thing that got me last night, why not start Dembele?

I thought we would win because he was available and would control the middle against Kante and Drinkwater. Brought him on far too late to have a real impact in the end. I'm not blaming Carroll for last night at all though, we didn't do enough in front of goal and didn't defend properly when it really counted, that is why we lost.

I'll also give Carroll the benefit of the doubt because against Everton the whole team played well and nobody deserved to be dropped based on that game I think. Can only assume Dembele was not 100% but hopefully those minutes help and I'm pretty confident he'll be starting Saturday now as he's been integral to our side this season.

Sunderland will sit so deep they might well put two men on the posts from the off. The concern is that if we don't score early on we'll get a little desperate, the crowd will definitely get a little edgy, and Defoe will always be a menace.

We get an early goal (first 15 minutes) draw them out, then we could well put a hatful away.

First and foremost we have to be clever enough to not get frustrated at teams packing out their defence.

Fancy Son to start this one...and to score too.

they are a poor side but will do the same as every poor side (and leicester) do and sit with everyone behind the ball and play to our weaknesses.
As ever we need a first half lead to win imo. Think we will do it too 3-0, 1-0 half time

You can tell how angry people still are, myself included, over Wednesday by the continuous posts in the Leicester thread and the fact we are only on page 2 here.

I just hope we pick ourselves up and respond how we did when we defeated Newcastle and that's with a convincing win. If we are even serious about top four, fuck looking beyond right now, we need to be winning this games, especially at home.

I want us to show the cutting edge we did against city, West ham, villa, Monaco when we destroyed all these teams. We are capable.

You can tell how angry people still are, myself included, over Wednesday by the continuous posts in the Leicester thread and the fact we are only on page 2 here.

I just hope we pick ourselves up and respond how we did when we defeated Newcastle and that's with a convincing win. If we are even serious about top four, fuck looking beyond right now, we need to be winning this games, especially at home.

I want us to show the cutting edge we did against city, West ham, villa, Monaco when we destroyed all these teams. We are capable.
In 3 of those games Son started and it's not a coincidence. We lack a cutting edge which he brings to the team when he's on the pitch from the start.

No doubt big Sam would be thinking if we can do same.
So they will sit deep and hit LONG..... goal kicks etc to a couple of willing runners.

What we need to do is hit a couple of early goals.

For me we need to make some changes even trust some our squad -
Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane

We win 3-1.

When we lost to Newcastle the team responded very well in the next match. Hopefully they do the same this weekend.

Dembele HAS to start. He's the main part of our midfield.

When we lost to Newcastle the team responded very well in the next match. Hopefully they do the same this weekend.

Dembele HAS to start. He's the main part of our midfield.

The thing is, he's the only player, we have that can do the things he does, ie. brush of one or more players with his strength and that is needed from time to time. Actually Bentaleb is the closest, we have to someone similar which makes it all the more surprising that Carroll's gotten the nod several times (even if I'm very much not in the anti-Carroll brigade in terms of his individual performance). Eriksen and Lamela are really developing a wonderful understanding, but add Alli and Carroll to that mix and it becomes a bit too lightweigth. Dembele is the cog that makes the others tick, and I honestly believe Carroll would have looked much better if say Alli had been injured and was replacing him, and not Dembele.

Win at all cost-lets learn from LC game that we need to keep things simple and play football as necessary rather than whats expected?
We really need this result as obvious as it sounds.
Sunderland will play on the fact that we are fragile at the moment and get stuck in. We need to show some bottle, some fight to demonstrate we are back to winning ways. Don't care who plays...all the players need to stand up and be counted.
COYFS

all those teams defended terribly.
we need to find a way against teams who defend like leicester did.

i am not fussed about how we play in this one.
as long as we get the 3pts. all about the pts after the defeat the other day.

No doubt big Sam would be thinking if we can do same.
So they will sit deep and hit LONG..... goal kicks etc to a couple of willing runners.

What we need to do is hit a couple of early goals.

For me we need to make some changes even trust some our squad -
Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane

We win 3-1.

You think we should drop our best centre half? That is radical....and daft.

Our defence is not the issue, certainly not our centre backs. I would look at Trippier and Davies though as both deliver better crosses than either of Walker or Rose.

Lloris

Trippier
Toby
Jan
Davies

Dier
Dembele

Lamela
Alli
Son

Kane

all those teams defended terribly.
we need to find a way against teams who defend like leicester did.

One way to break these teams down is to score first then a second and force them out. We need to be clinical in front of goal.

Players as Dembele are important as he takes players on, disrupting their formation. You need to ask questions of their style- attack the weak link etc...?

Just a thought...
LC, first half, first defended in numbers and with this, disrupted our style by leaving the boot in after the ball had gone on every occasion, making players uncomfortable when receiving the ball. It creates a little more urgency and causes errors-we couldn't get control but believed we would second half.. Suddenly we lost control in the second half whilst we were trying to regroup, They attack with numbers, changing their game slightly. looking for the free kicks/corners and to create more confusion.- very clever. We struggle to adapt our game quickly and try to plod on. Maybe we should look at subs at half time and look to dominate from the off rather than give the same predicable play that allows the other team to change things and push us back? The Chaves would resort to LC way of playing without question and get the result.

Lloris
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Alli
Lamela - Dembele - Eriksen
Kane
Get Rose back in to provide pace and width. Get Alli back where he belongs in central midfield alongside Dier which won them both England caps. Get Dembele back in the team, get Eriksen back on the left and get back to winning ways.

COYS

From what I can tell Dele Alli has always been the advanced player when Dembele and him have both played.

Back
Top Bottom