Trevor Birch Joins Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In 2002, he left Ernst & Young to become Chief Executive of Chelsea, where he led the £180 million sale to Roman Abramovich in 2003.[4] After the sale, Birch chose not to stay at the club and in October that year was appointed Chief Executive of Leeds United, overseeing the takeover by a local consortium. He then moved to Everton in June 2004 to become Chief Executive. Birch was given the task of overhauling the Merseyside club's finances, but resigned after a disagreement over strategy with the board and major shareholders.[5]

Since then Birch has been a partner at Deloitte and Chief Operating Officer of Sportfive, the largest football rights agency in Europe,[citation needed] as well as holding other Chief Executive roles at Derby County and Sheffield United.[6]

He returned to the accountancy profession in 2011 and undertook the role of Administrator at financially troubled Portsmouth. Under his stewardship the club was sold to the Pompey Supporters' Trust, with Birch performing a similar feat as Administrator at Heart of Midlothian in 2013.[citation needed] He subsequently undertook an advisory role to the Board at Bolton Wanderers in late 2015 which finished in March 2016 on the sale of the club.[citation needed]

He joined the global valuation and corporate finance advisors Duff & Phelps as a Managing Director in January 2017, having previously led the professional sports group at global advisory firm BDO International.[6]

In March 2017 Portsmouth confirmed that they had retained the services of Mr. Birch during a period of negotiations with Mike Eisner and his investment vehicle Tornante regarding a takeover of the club.[7]

He became chairman of Swansea City on 18 March 2019.[8]

He became Director of Football at Tottenham on 1 September 2020.[9]

Birch is a much more experienced and 'bigger' person, so think his remit will be far larger, probably more like a CEO of football with Levy as Chairman.
This is my take as well. He's in to run the ship more or less. But still report to Levy.

I guess Levy will be given other day to day duties within Enic.

Last edited:
If this means Levy is less involved in transfers and the footballing side of things then that's a net positive.

Based on the Amazon documentary it seems, at least to me, that Daniel is a little bit of a control freak, that's not a bad thing per say when it comes to the business side of things but his interactions with Jose sort of left me feeling like he maybe needs to take a step back from the football side.

If this means Levy is less involved in transfers and the footballing side of things then that's a net positive.

Based on the Amazon documentary it seems, at least to me, that Daniel is a little bit of a control freak, that's not a bad thing per say when it comes to the business side of things but his interactions with Jose sort of left me feeling like he maybe needs to take a step back from the football side.
Levy will always have the final say - no 2 ways about it

Taking shit off Levy's plate seems like a good idea regardless.
In Alasdair Gold's write up of the situation he runs it down like this:

Hitchen is the classic "director of football"/technical director. In charge of player scouting and recruitment. Caplehorn will be in charge of the administrative side of our football operations. Birch will be the guy that both report to as he will be in charge of the "football department" of Spurs so to speak. And all 3 report to Levy as the chair of the football board.

Basically taking things off Levy's plate and giving it to other people.

This is my take as well. He's in to run the ship more or less. But still report to Levy.

I guess Levy will be given other day to day duties within Enic.

Not sure Levy is moving on within enic - its just Tottenham Hotspur have a lot more sizeable 'businesses' than before each of which Levy used to look after but he now cannot be a 'hands on' leader as before eg. Sponsorship/advertising, Exhibitions & Conferences, Non football events (NFL, rugby, music etc), Property (flats/hotel on south podeum of stadium, The Goods Yard, B&M Site, 500 White Hart Lane and any other Tottenham redevelopment sites) as well as 'football' , so he's appointing 'Managing Directors' by any other name to manage all the day stuff of all these business segments whilst he overseees things as Chairman.

Back
Top Bottom