U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Loans thread

RYAN MASON & HARRY KANE - Southampton vs Millwall - 07/02/12 (FA Cup 4th Round Replay)

ztuf60.jpg

Ryan Mason and Harry Kane were both back in the team from the start, playing the full 90 minutes as Millwall stunned Southampton to win 3-2 and book their place in the next round at home to Bolton. Suggestion on Millwall forums that they set up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Kane up top and Mason just behind him.

Goal.com ratings
Ryan Mason 5.5: Millwall's main threat was from their midfielders rather than their forwards and the youngster had little bearing on the game.
Harry Kane 5.5: Forced a good save out of Bialkowski but too often a peripheral figure.

"Fantastic second half, great effort from the youngsters, specially Kane, Mason and N'Guessan."

"changes would have been made whatever, some might say KJ has stumbled upon a new midfield set up with Mason & Wright though."

NATHAN BYRNE - Bournemouth vs Exeter - 07/02/12

Nathan Byrne has still not recovered from his ankle injury but is expected to feature in the coming weeks.

JORDAN ARCHER - Stalybridge Celtic vs Bishop’s Stortford - 07/02/12

Due to the distances involved, Bishop's Stortford asked that there be a pitch inspection on Monday, a day before the game. This was duly done at 6pm, and the game was postponed.

JOHN BOSTOCK - Sheffield Wednesday vs Blackpool - 07/02/12 (FA Cup 4th Round Replay)
YAGO FALQUE - Southampton vs Milwall - 07/02/12 (FA Cup 4th Round Replay)

Both players were cup-tied as they had come on as substitutes for Spurs against Cheltenham in the 3rd round.

Upcoming weekend games.

Saturday 11th February - 14:30
VEDRAN CORLUKA - Borussia Dortmund va Bayer Leverkusen (Eurosport 2 [Bundesliga] / OTE Sport 2)

Saturday 11th February - 15:00
STEVEN PIENAAR - Everton vs Chelsea (Setanta Sports (ROI only) / Nova Sports 1 / Abu Dhabi Sports)
STEVEN CAULKER - Swansea vs Norwich (Abu Dhabi Sports 6)
KYLE NAUGHTON - Swansea vs Norwich (Abu Dhabi Sports 6)

DAVID BUTTON - Crystal Palace vs Doncaster
YAGO FALQUE - Southampton vs Burnley
THOMAS CARROLL - Millwall vs Derby
RYAN MASON & HARRY KANE - Millwall vs Derby
ADAM SMITH & ANDROS TOWNSEND - Leeds vs Brighton

NATHAN BYRNE - Hartlepool vs Bournemouth
JOHN BOSTOCK - Exeter vs Sheffield Wednesday
DEAN PARRETT & JONATHAN OBIKA - Yeovil vs Scunthorpe

JORDAN ARCHER - Bishop’s Stortford vs Hyde

KUDOS OYENUGA - St Johnstone vs Dundee United (17:30 broadcast delay on BBC Alba)

Sunday 12th February - 13:30
SEBASTIEN BASSONG - Wolves vs West Brom (Sky Sports 1 / Nova Sports 1 / Abu Dhabi Sports 5)

Sunday 12th February - 14:30
MIRKO RANIERI - Viareggio vs Foggia

Spurs youngster Dean Parrett has extended his loan spell at Yeovil until the end of the season.

[itk=JJetset date=Sometime a week or so ago inout=out player=An illegible pair status=itk probability=9]"It's nothing to do with Bentalab.

Liverpool complained that we has used 2 15 year olds in an earlier round and waited till after the game to raise it....

the 15 year olds were foreign

They weren't registered and they (liverpool) found out and sat on it.....
once we realised we did the right thing and pulled out as we had made the initial mistake and held up our hands...
very disappointing for all involved at spurs"[/itk]

I know its not us and it makes me feel a bit sick typing his name but Henry is leaving Woolwich on the 16th.
What a shit loan that was!
Obviously he misses the game with us which im pleased about as im going to the Emershits and unfortunately will have to sit in scummy end. Not sure I could handle it if he scored against us.

This is a great thread, but can't help thinking that the players out on loan to clubs lower than the Championship, will never get a look in within the 1st team - hence why they are loaned to lower league clubs.
Obviously the club has to make money, so must be a way to advertise these players that inevitably won't make it in the top flight.

I might be wrong, but the likes of Steven Caulker and Kyle Walker (when on loan at Villa) are and already showing they are prem quality

nethercott said:
This is a great thread, but can't help thinking that the players out on loan to clubs lower than the Championship, will never get a look in within the 1st team - hence why they are loaned to lower league clubs.
Obviously the club has to make money, so must be a way to advertise these players that inevitably won't make it in the top flight.

I might be wrong, but the likes of Steven Caulker and Kyle Walker (when on loan at Villa) are and already showing they are prem quality
Caulker was loaned to Yeovil and Leyton Orient (I think), with the younger players, they go lower down the ladder then work their way up. I think it's safe to say Obika won't make it at Spurs though.

Caulker was loaned to Yeovil and Leyton Orient (I think), with the younger players, they go lower down the ladder then work their way up. I think it's safe to say Obika won't make it at Spurs though.[/quote]

Yeh fair point, but look at the ages of the players in League One:

League One
DF - NATHAN BYRNE (19) - Bournemouth - End of Season.
MF - JOHN BOSTOCK (20) - Sheffield Wednesday - End of Season.
MF - DEAN PARRETT (20) - Yeovil - End of Season.
FW - JONATHAN OBIKA (21) - Yeovil - End of Season.

All similar ages to Caulker and he is now in the Prem. Bostock for me is the biggest disappointment,

nethercott said:
Caulker was loaned to Yeovil and Leyton Orient (I think), with the younger players, they go lower down the ladder then work their way up. I think it's safe to say Obika won't make it at Spurs though.

Yeh fair point, but look at the ages of the players in League One:

League One
DF - NATHAN BYRNE (19) - Bournemouth - End of Season.
MF - JOHN BOSTOCK (20) - Sheffield Wednesday - End of Season.
MF - DEAN PARRETT (20) - Yeovil - End of Season.
FW - JONATHAN OBIKA (21) - Yeovil - End of Season.

All similar ages to Caulker and he is now in the Prem. Bostock for me is the biggest disappointment,[/quote]

I get your point, but players develop at different ages, take Livermore, he was very average on his loan spells and never excelled but then developed late on and he's 22 now just breaking in. Clearly Caulker and Walker are fantastic players but given a couple of years I could see Parrett and Bostock perhaps pushing for premier league clubs, if they work hard. Still plenty of time.

Personally think Obika is poor though, keeps on going on loan to Yeovil doesn't he?

STEVEN PIENAAR - Everton vs Chelsea - 11/02/12
• 2 Appearances • 1 Subbed Off • 1 Goal • 0 Assists •
im5h07.jpg

Steven Pienaar played his 2nd game for Everton in a central left midfield position for 75 minutes and scored the opening goal in the 5th minute of their 2-0 win against Chelsea.

Guardian rating: 7.3 (41 votes - highest rating for Everton player is 7.4)
Goal.com rating: 7.0 (MOTM) Some return. Took his goal brilliantly and was the Toffees' main attacking threat throughout.

A coming together between Tim Cahill and Lampard saw the ball loop over the Blues’ defence and fortuitously into the path of Pienaar who controlled brilliantly on his chest and smashed beyond Petr Cech.
Pienaar, back at Goodison on loan from Spurs, was the man of the match, scoring the all-important first goal in the fifth minute and troubling Chelsea throughout.
Moyes also hailed Pienaar, who scored his first goal since returning to Everton on loan from Tottenham Hotspur. He said: "He got clapped by everyone at the end, some of the stuff he did was terrific. "I said to him at the end it was like he had never been away. Sometimes clubs just fit players and maybe that is the case. Maybe this just suits him.''
Some more quotes from an Everton forum:
Pienaar 9 - seemed to be playing a free role although starting on the left, involved in everything positive going forward and took his goal superbly. MOTM
Pienaar - 9 - Flawless game, complete with flair. (MOTM)
Pienaar - 9 Fantastic from the wee man. Chased everything down, played with guile and it looks as though he's never been away.
Pienaar was far and away the best player on display the entire time he was on.
Peanuts 8 - Took his goal well, linked play, and made chelsea defenders look silly at times, particularly bosingwa
Pienaar 9 MOTM - has single handedly brought quality to our game, brilliant run and finish for his goal

STEVEN CAULKER - Swansea vs Norwich - 11/02/12
• 14 Appearances • 1 Unused Sub • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
2n1zvd5.jpg

Steven Caulker played the whole game in a right central defence position as his team lost 3-2 to Norwich. He struck the post from a corner and also had a point-blank header saved superbly at the death by the Norwich goalkeeper.

Goal.com rating: 6.5 - Composed defensively, and was key in breaking up any play between Holt and Jackson up front for Norwich.

Some Swansea forum comments:
Also was it just me or did anyone else think Caulker was awesome up front in the dying minutes, on another day could have rescued us a point.
Don't think they announced one (MOTM), for me it would have been caulker or graham
Lost count of the amount of times caulker bailed rangel out of the sh1t today, by far caulkers best game and got to be one of rangels worst
I thought Caulker was gash today, as were the rest of the team.

VEDRAN CORLUKA - Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen - 11/02/12
• 2 Appearances • 1 Subbed Off • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
2qjkhe1.jpg

Vedran Corluka played his 2nd game for Leverkusen in the right back position as his team lost 1-0 to table toppers Borussia Dortmund. He was substituted 75 minutes into the game for an attacking player as Leverkusen chased an equaliser.

Goal.com rating: 5.5 - Used his size as an asset to help the centre-backs, but made one woeful mistake when he nodded the ball straight to Grosskreutz for a chance that should have resulted in a goal.

Some Leverkusen forum (google translated) comments after Corluka got substituted:
What?? Corluka?????? I do not think ....
Hm, I do not understand the change
For Corluka, I collapse ..................
Corluka out why exactly? Also do not understand the change.
Corluka is definitely one of the better, Castro weak .. Dutt is so stupid ..

KYLE NAUGHTON - Swansea vs Norwich - 11/02/12
• 22 Appearances • 1 Subbed On • 2 Unused Sub • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
In a week where he got a 15-month driving ban, Kyle Naughton played the whole game, starting off in the right back position but playing almost in a central defensive midfield position throughout the game as his team beat Swansea 3-2.

Goal.com rating: 7.0 - Did well to keep Sinclair anonymous for the majority of the game, and crossed well at times to cause the Swansea defence some problems. Also hit a superb second-half shot that was tipped onto the post.

Gylfi Sigurdsson had the chance to give Swansea an early lead after confusion between Kyle Naughton and Canaries keeper John Ruddy, but Russell Martin got there in the nick of time to block the shot.
Naughton survived penalty appeals for handball after blocking a Dyer shot and a cross from substitute Wayne Routledge and then came with inches of making it 4-1 as his rising angled drive was tipped onto the bar by a full-stretch Vorm.
Some Norwich forum comments:
For 20 mins. I thought we were going to slaughter them. One attack, & they slice through us like the proverbial knife through butter. How do they do that? Was Naughton AWOL?
Naughton, brilliant shot. Unlucky. Good tip on to the bar by Vorm

THOMAS CARROLL - Millwall vs Derby - 11/02/12
• 2 Appearances • 1 Subbed Off • 1 Goal • 0 Assists •
Tom Carroll played 77 minutes in his second game for Derby as they drew 0-0 with Millwall. Derby looked like they set up in a 4-3-3 formation with Carroll on the right hand side. The match was very uneventful and drab and as such there was nothing of note to report. Unable to find many comments on Carroll whether positive or negative other than him not being suited to a right midfield position.

RYAN MASON - Millwall vs Derby - 11/02/12
• 4 Appearances • 1 Subbed On • 1 Subbed Off • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
Ryan Mason started his second game in a row after the midweek victory over Southampton in the FA Cup. He played the whole game, in a central midfield position, as Millwall drew 0-0 with Derby.

Some comments from a Millwall forum:
obvously theres something there but i cant see it and to play him in midfield with kane on the left is madness...does jackett want the sack..left him on the whole game and took henry and wright off...what is this bullimic kid winger or midfielder
He has played on the wing and centre mid at spurs. In first half he played ok and made some good runs into the box. He's got good ball control. He looks promising IMO.
Thought Mason showed some good touches, as did Keogh and Wright used the ball much better than Jimmy.
Mason is not anywhere near a first team player
Mason played ok but don't ask me what position he played i couldn't tell you
Thought Mason had some good runs

HARRY KANE - Millwall vs Derby - 11/02/12
• 10 Appearances • 1 Subbed On • 7 Subbed Off • 2 Goals • 2 Assists •
Harry Kane also started his second game in a row, however he was substituted at half time in a tactical re-shuffle, as Millwall drew 0-0 with Derby. He played in an unfamiliar left midfield position.

Thoughts from a Millwall forum:
Kane played ok.
Kane should not have played instead of £500,000 Keogh
kane on the left is madness

ADAM SMITH - Leeds vs Brighton - 11/02/12
• 2 Appearances • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
Adam Smith played his 2nd game for Leeds and the whole match, in the right back position, as they lost 2-1 to Brighton in the last minute via an Adam Smith deflection.

Some quotes from Leeds forums:
Smith - 6.5 - Started the game well and looked more solid than last week and got forward well.
Smith - 7 Keep thinking it's Howson with the number 14 shirt, so in that respect, p*ssed me off so doesn't get a higher rating. other than that he was alright and linked up well with Snodgrass.
Also, Smith and O'Dea ( yes O'Dea ) had solid games at the back.

ANDROS TOWNSEND - Leeds vs Brighton - 11/02/12
• 6 Appearances • 1 Subbed On • 1 Subbed Off • 1 Unused Sub • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
Andros Townsend came on in the 81st minute, for Aidan White in the left wing position, but was unable to influence the game as Leeds lost 2-1 to Brighton.

Some Leeds forum comments:
White needs to drop back to left back, because he is not as good a winger as Townsend.
Townsend also looked pretty pissed when Redfearn told him to sit down after our goal.
So Townsend came on and i thought did well, was constantly looking for the ball and made a few good crosses.

JOHN BOSTOCK - Exeter vs Sheffield Wednesday - 11/02/12
• 3 Appearances • 1 Subbed On • 1 Subbed Off • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
John Bostock played the first 45 minutes of the game as Sheffield Wednesday lost 2-1 to Exeter. It seems he was playing out wide and his substitution was a tactical one.

Some Sheffield Wednesday forum comments:
The trouble is that we've replaced Marshall with Jones and Bostock both of whom have not hit the ground running.
Bostock, for me was a very optimistic loan signing. He's a twinkle toes with a lot of nice touches, but he doesn't really influence games, no decisive balls or dribbles that open the opposition up. And he does very little when the oppsoition have the ball.
And rather tellingly two Exeter fans asked me why Bostock wasn't playing first half. I said I didn't know, especially considering he was on the pitch.
All the messing about over Marshall, neither Jones or Bostock so far look like being able to replace even half of his contribution.

YAGO FALQUE - Southampton vs Burnley - 11/02/12
• 1 Appearances • 1 Subbed Off • 1 Unused Sub • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
Yago Falque was once again not even on the bench, for the second game in a row, as Southampton beat Burnley 2-0.

Here's what is being said on the Southampton forums:
He joined on loan when we had loads of injures but now it seems to be so contested that I doubt he will get any game time whatsoever. We have Lallana and Puncheon as regular starters with Chaplow and de Ridder as back up, and if we switch to a 433 or 41212 or whatever you wanna call our formation against Millwalls then there's no real room for him if Lambert and Lallana are in the 'hole'.
May get further chances. Nigels thoughts are surely: 1st, team results; 2nd, Saints players; and 3rd, loan players. Falque would get no games at Spurs, so he's bound to do better here.
With the 5 sub rule I dunno. We have Hammond, Cork, Schneiderlin, Chaplow, Lallana, Puncheon, De Ridder, Falque all vying for 4 places which leaves 4 to go on the bench, but since we'll have Bart, Martin and a striker on the bench that only leaves 2 places - 1 of which would be used for a winger presumably, but Falque is very far down the order. I feel that he's gonna be wasted here now when we could've maybe got defensive backup on loan (which we could still do I suppose)
No, he's not our player. I'd much rather see Lallana, Puncheon, Chaplow, De Ridder and Guly getting games, as they are a part of our future. It's a shame for Yago, because he was probably hoping for some match experience, but I don't really understand what he's doing here.
Lallana gets injured: still puncheon, de Ridder and Chaplow. Say Chaplow gets injured? Still got Puncheon and de Ridder, not to mention Reeves and Holmes. Unless there's a MASSIVE injury crisis he's not even getting a look in.
The point I'm making is that on an average day he's not getting game time and only a massive injury crisis would allow him to play but if it reached that stage I'd rather change formation!
11 players on the field, lambert,lallana,sharp,davies,fonte and jos are starters. 5 places up for grabs with another 4 on the bench, its up to him to earn his place

KUDOS OYENUGA - St Johnstone vs Dundee United - 11/02/12
• 0 Appearances • 2 Unused Sub •
For the second game in a row Kudos Oyenuga was an unused sub as St Johnstone lost heavily 5-1 against Dundee United.

Some St Johnstone forum comments:
Why bring on haber and robertson and play them out of position? Wide right and on the pitch are neither of their positions. I thought the boy kudos was meant to be a wide player. Bringing they 2 on...
What would you have done Dave? Not that sure the options were on the bench. Kudos on for a start on the left seemed the only other option to me?
It won't be popular,but i thought Cilla was fecked,so put Haber in there and Millar wide,or as you say bring Kudos on,although he seems to favour the left

NATHAN BYRNE - Hartlepool vs Bournemouth - 11/02/12
• 12 Appearances • 2 Subbed Off • 0 Goals • 0 Assists •
Nathan Byrne is still out injured since the 17th September 2011 and has yet to make his comeback.

Some forum quotes from back in December:
Byrne sounds a nice lad and shows a good attitude not the typical Pem't big time Charlie.
OK, I am definately biased - but he actually is a nice, decent lad - and do not believe Bournemouth fans have yet seen how good a player he is. Hopefully he will be able to show them about February through to end of season.

DAVID BUTTON - Crystal Palace vs Doncaster - 11/02/12
• 5 Appearances • 3 Clean Sheets •
Match postponed due to weather.

DEAN PARRETT - Yeovil vs Scunthorpe - 11/02/12
• 4 Appearances • 3 Subbed Off • 0 Goals • 1 Assist •

JONATHAN OBIKA - Yeovil vs Scunthorpe - 11/02/12
• 15 Appearances • 2 Subbed On • 4 Subbed Off • 2 Goals • 0 Assists •

JORDAN ARCHER - Bishop’s Stortford vs Hyde - 11/02/12
• 22 Appearances • 5 Clean Sheets •

Sunday 12th February - 13:30
SEBASTIEN BASSONG - Wolves vs West Brom (Sky Sports 1 / Nova Sports 1 / Abu Dhabi Sports 5)

Sunday 12th February - 14:30
MIRKO RANIERI - Viareggio vs Foggia

Blimey... pretty much all our loanees had a 'mare yesterday (except for Peanut-head) but then again, that goal/win was as important for US as it was for Everton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom