UEFA Champions League 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So there are 6 two-legged play-off ties left in the qualifying competition. If the highest-ranked team wins each of those 6 fixtures, our draw possibilities would be as follows:

o4CkWC0.png

From Pot 1 obviously Zenit is the plum draw, and we have about a 1 in 5 chance of drawing them compared to the other pot 2 teams for whom it'd be 1 in 7 or 8.

In Pot 3, Lyon, Valencia and Inter Milan would probably be the ones to avoid (despite the potential for an 'NDerby' with Lyon). Those 3 would give us the biggest ticket allocations though, the others all have sub-35k stadiums.

From Pot 4... meh, we'll take whatever. Lokomotiv or Galatasaray would be tougher trips, Lille would get absolutely taken over by Spurs given how close and easy to get to it is.

The only big change that could come from the play-off results would be if Ajax fail to get past APOEL, in which case Lyon would move up to pot 2 and we'd avoid them. Different results in the other 5 play-offs would only mix up the teams in pots 3 and 4 a bit.

Can't bloody wait!

Agree on pot 3 (and pot 1 obviously), though I'd add in Leverkusen as preferable to avoid.

I don't think pot 4 is meh. Leipzig and Atalanta are to be avoided.

Give us that kind of draw from 2 of the 3 pots, meaning there'll only be one major contender beyond us, and I'll be well pleased.

Going beyond how good the away days will be for a minute, I'd really like to romp a group stage again. And I don't mind one bit, if the draw gives us a hand in that. Just think back to 17-18 and how much that group stage performance gave everyone a real lift.

We can really do without a series of must-wins a few months into the season like last season. Leave that to the business end of the season. I for one, and I'm sure the squad as well, could really do without all that angst.

I do honestly think we need at least 1 strong opponent in our group to keep us on our toes, and a big scalp early on helps to carry us through the tournament.

1 top team and 2 whipping boys would do nicely. Don't know if it's just superstition but I just think we would get complacent in an out and out easy group.

I do honestly think we need at least 1 strong opponent in our group to keep us on our toes, and a big scalp early on helps to carry us through the tournament.

1 top team and 2 whipping boys would do nicely. Don't know if it's just superstition but I just think we would get complacent in an out and out easy group.
Proved to be the case a few years ago, so not just jinxing it.

Does anybody know how to actually calculate our odds of drawing each team in pot 1? I believe it’s not really 1 in 5 for the teams we are eligible to face. Because the Madrids cant face Barca, we have a higher chance than 1 in 5 of drawing them. Same goes for Bayern (Dortmund) and Juve (Napoli). With our odds of drawing Zenit and PSG lower than 1 in 5 since nobody in pot 2 is in their league.

It’s not really important, I’m just more curious than anything.

Inclined to agree, but I wouldn't want it to be a truly top team like Barca again. Any of the other Pot 1 options I'd be happier with, because it gives us a good chance to take the top spot which is very important. Have to remember we got lucky last year, pulled one of the weakest seeds out of the hat for the first knockout round, and then they were in catastrophic form too. We don't particularly want to have to play a huge knockout game that early on.

I'm quite certain our team will "remember" what it's like to face a big team and we don't need to worry about complacency even if we get Zenit and cruise to the top of our group. We played a ton of big teams last year and we've got City Saturday and Liverpool in October in case we need any refreshers on what it's like to face the top teams.

It's tough enough getting out of the CL group stages without hoping for a difficult opponent.

BT just had an ad on for next seasons CL with a montage of clips from last seasons CL games, why were there clips of Rangers games in it - I think they would have been from games in last seasons EL - Rangers in their current incarnation have never actually played in the Champions League.

Atalanta. Was at a few off their games way back when. Div 2 at time. Nuts home support but joints during game not even frowned on.

Honestly couldn't think off a better away game to get.

Does anybody know how to actually calculate our odds of drawing each team in pot 1? I believe it’s not really 1 in 5 for the teams we are eligible to face. Because the Madrids cant face Barca, we have a higher chance than 1 in 5 of drawing them. Same goes for Bayern (Dortmund) and Juve (Napoli). With our odds of drawing Zenit and PSG lower than 1 in 5 since nobody in pot 2 is in their league.

Rachel Reilly?

Maybe :

As Barcelon can be matched with 6 teams in group B ( including Spurs)
PSG. Ditto but 8 teams
Juventos 7 teams
Bayern , Zenit, 6 teams
Mancity, Chelsea, Liverpool 7 teams ( excluding spurs).

Total chances for all teams is 57 ( is sum all chances for teams to be matched in group A)

Repeat number of teams in Group B that each team can be matched by a team I group A :
Real, Atletico, Dortmund , Napoli can be matched with 7 teams
shakhtsr Benfica and Ajax can be matched with 8 teams
Spurs can only be matched with,5 teams
Again total matches for all teams in group B is ,57.

So chances of :
Spurs and Barca = 6,/57 + 5/57 or 11/57
Spurs and PSG =. 8/57 + 5/57 or 13/57
Spurs and Juve = 7/57 + 5/57 or 12/57
Spurs and Bayern -same as for Juve
Spurs and Zenit -same as PSG

Years since I did any stats but the answers seem about right!

We'll see if there are any mathematical geniuses on the site though

Back
Top Bottom