WALKING FOR SPURS MICK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello all, Burnley fan here, my father in law moved away from Poplar in the seventies up to rainy Lancashire but was an ardent Spurs fan all his life. He passed away due to a brain tumour after a year long battle and spent his last days at East Lancs hospice, it's been a horrendous 12 months but after the care he recieved me and my wife are doing a 22 mile walk from Bolton Abbey to Grassington and back in the Yorkshire dales to raise funds for the hospice. I know times are tough but if any of you would like to contribute it would be warmly recieved, if you'd just like to wish us well it would be warmly recieved too. He always reminded me when Spurs beat us and I never had much chance to give him much stick back. I've been to the old White Hart Lane a couple of times watching Burnley in the cup and once went down on the train with a Spurs supporting mate when we were 12 or 13....you played Palace in the fa cup and won 4 1, think Gary O'Riley scored an own goal....we were in the ground for about 1 o'clock as my mate wanted to make sure he got a place on the Shelf which we did no problem haha....remember eating monkey nuts from a brown paper bag....anyway thanks and all the best

Hello all, Burnley fan here, my father in law moved away from Poplar in the seventies up to rainy Lancashire but was an ardent Spurs fan all his life. He passed away due to a brain tumour after a year long battle and spent his last days at East Lancs hospice, it's been a horrendous 12 months but after the care he recieved me and my wife are doing a 22 mile walk from Bolton Abbey to Grassington and back in the Yorkshire dales to raise funds for the hospice. I know times are tough but if any of you would like to contribute it would be warmly recieved, if you'd just like to wish us well it would be warmly recieved too. He always reminded me when Spurs beat us and I never had much chance to give him much stick back. I've been to the old White Hart Lane a couple of times watching Burnley in the cup and once went down on the train with a Spurs supporting mate when we were 12 or 13....you played Palace in the fa cup and won 4 1, think Gary O'Riley scored an own goal....we were in the ground for about 1 o'clock as my mate wanted to make sure he got a place on the Shelf which we did no problem haha....remember eating monkey nuts from a brown paper bag....anyway thanks and all the best
Done (under my real name.)

I'll never forget that day, when your a kid watching MOTD the pitches always looked massive but I couldn't get over how small the pitch looked....we ended up stood near the away end behind the white wall half way up....and I put a Cockney accent on to get back to Euston thinking we'd get battered for being northerners haha...bet everybody I asked for directions thought why is that silly little northern twerp trying to do a Cockney accent

Last edited:

Always thought of Burnley as being an distant and exotic place when I was younger . I didn’t know where in the UK it was situated or what it was actually like but ;because of Ralph Coates obvs : and thereafter Leighton James and Bryan Flynn . And the V-strip . It just struck me that it was a cool and important place .

I don’t know how old you are but in those days radio and Shoot magazine (outside of watching games live ) were the only way that football came into my life .

Anyway, apologies for the ramble ; sounds like an incredibly difficult year ( understatement) .

It’s draining emotionally, psychologically and physically . I’ve been there .

Remember to give all three of those a chance to recharge .

Anyway that’s what Burnley meant to me 50 years ago . Still does in a way ; for reasons stated .

Take care mate . I’ll do my bit .

BW

I've just gone 53 John, started watching The Clarets in 85/86, the Orient game when we stayed up seems like yesterday and still remember Jimmy Greaves wishing us well on the Saint and Greavsie that day 9th May...what a great programme they made. Football now isn't what it was....I used to go everywhere when we were in the 4th division...Swansea Friday night, Hartlepool on a wet cold Tuesday, Chesterfield on Boxing day, Barnet away on a Tuesday, Cardif when they came in our end and we had to get on the pitch to get away from the bricks coming over onto the away end ( my brother in laws family are all Cardiff too and I saw them that day)....football isn't the same now but all the memories will never go, some great days

Thankyou John by the way
No problem; thanks for sharing your memories . Take care and give my best wishes ( and my advice) to your wife and her family . BW .

PS I lived in Barnet ! We had our school discos there back in the day . Barry Fry was working behind the bar on a Saturday night . The justification (s) he would give regarding why they’d lost
earlier in the day could go on for five minutes . We soon learned to never ask him how they’d got on whilst watching him pour our orders of half a pint of cider . They were non-league then but for us it was like getting the chance to meet Sir Alf Ramsey .

But granted if you’ve made it to Underhill on a Tuesday night : you’re fully aware probably that it wasn’t quite the Maracana . ( Albeit decently located for the motorways if you were heading home by coach) . ,

Rambling again .

Different , Different times

Last edited:
Haha, made it down there a couple of times, my mate from Burnley met a girl from Finchley so stayed down there for loads of Burnley games....crazy how starstruck you get when your a kid...and when your older...me and my wife were out one midweek night in Clitheroe where we live and Sean Dyche came into the Indian where we were eating with a couple of directors and his right hand man.....I went over to thank him for all he'd done for us and turned to jelly...I still cringe

Blimey train to Burnley back then at 17 must of been an adventure

Me and my mates were in one of those small compartments. They had a big window and a small sliding window above. My mate had been looking out of the small window and pulled his head in to tell us something and half a second later a rock came through the gap and ricocheted around the carriage. A second earlier and it probably would have killed him.

Just another away day in the frozen wastelands of the north 😉

Back
Top Bottom