Watford, "we need to be at the next level"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's all I can think has led to this - Flores on his way out apparently.

Clearly they have studied at the Charlton Athletic School of Managerial Selection (Paul Curbishley module). Or is it the Leicester City one where if a shit team wins the title why didn't we?

What is it with clubs that get to the PL, and suddenly think they should be playing Barca and Real?

Clearly they have studied at the Charlton Athletic School of Managerial Selection (Paul Curbishley module). Or is it the Leicester City one where if a shit team wins the title why didn't we?

What is it with clubs that get to the PL, and suddenly think they should be playing Barca and Real?

The mind boggles with these clubs of this size and their ideas, lets look at the facts:

Burnley, Norwich, Middlesborough, Hull - solid ownership and management, they even get relegated but keep everything the same even the manager in a lot of cases and low and behold they bounce back, get promoted regularly again

Leeds, Portsmouth, Man City, Charlton, Bolton - A massive gamble at some point or rash sacking leads to freefall as they fucked about too much at various levels

How they have not given Flores a new deal is beyond me, unless he wanted to go but why would he?

Always a gamble particularly getting rid of managers doing a good job which Flores did with such a limited team.

Quite a few clubs have booted Fat Sam, Newcastle included only to see their long term prospects decline.

The Leicester story, even the Poch Southampton story have given many clubs a false sense of perspective I feel. I can't imagine the stats are great in terms of reaching 'the next level'.

Didn't think this was all Watfords idea however just seen these quotes:

"The club and me don't have the same point of view about the season,"

"We don't have the necessary conditions to activate the clause to renew my contract so I will leave Watford as a consequence.

"I felt completely happy with this year and I have enjoyed this experience."

Odd.

I don't even think Poch and Pearson are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Pearsons last 10 matches in charge were something like 7-2-1, which is close to PL Title form. (the "1" coming v Chavski)

Adkins had clearly turned the corner after a horrible start and bottom place. By Jan they'd risen to 15th, drawn at Chavs from 0-2 down, drew with Goons, unbeaten in a month, about 1.5 ppg ...(tbf I think the decision had been taken way earlier when they looked to be in the shit and it took quite a time to sort Poch).

Ranieri and Poch did great jobs when they took over and improved things; both turned out to be inspiring choices, but they didn't turn things around imo.

Anyway, good for us that Soton booted out Adkins, Poch I don't think would've made the long list with us after Oneday.

Didn't think this was all Watfords idea however just seen these quotes:

"The club and me don't have the same point of view about the season,"

"We don't have the necessary conditions to activate the clause to renew my contract so I will leave Watford as a consequence.

"I felt completely happy with this year and I have enjoyed this experience."

Odd.
Maybe its a case of him thinking HE should be at the next level

To be fair I have been told that there has been a lot of unrest from the fans wanting him out. By all accounts he not great tactically (plays some strange tactic that includes 3 CB's and 1 wing back) and they have been very poor since the new year with no signs of improvement.

(I have been listening to a Watford fan at work complaining about him for the last few months)

Their entire play was built on old EC breaking up play in MF and then someone hoofs it forward for Deeney or Ighalo. Ighalo has been rubbish since new year's and Watford look the same, the manager got the best out of them while Ighalo was still in form but I don't think they can aspire higher with this squad anyhow

I think it is a combination of all you have mentioned and a short sightedness from Pulis and co in that they are now under pressure because of the expectation levels.

Around halfway through the season teams started to figure out how to stop them scoring - hell, even Poch went to 3 at the back against them. Flores tried do adapt their system to score more goals, but it failed and hit their defensive solidity. Still, they should have been relegation favourites so it's unfair to criticise too much...

Back
Top Bottom