We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Me too mate, I’m 44 so prob got into spurs around 1988-89. This totally eclipses 91 facup and Gazzas free kick. Incredible

Very similar here..... Bit too young to remember much of the Berkinshaw glory era. 'Bout 85 i started paying proper attention. Tho' I was fond before that cos of Hoddle and a few of the other lads; my M&D prob. played the biggest big part cos they both loved a bit of Chas n Dave(*) even if neither were Spurs (I since converted my Dad who was previously just a casual "london teams"-kinda guy!) and I used to bounce around the house singing Ozzies dream etc when little more than a nipper....

So yeh.... This is as big as I've ever know!

(*This is why I was so gutted when dear Chaz left us last year.... I'm Spurs because of HIM & DAVE! Bless them both..... I'm sure Chaz is looking on with Bill & all the boys feeling as proud as the rest of us right now.)

(Awwww, fuck...... I'm crying again. :) )

Last edited:
People were laughing at us.

This is why I say fuck all this 'people would prefer us over the dippers; do it for football shit'.

Polite well-wishers re nice enough, but fuck it.... All we need is YIDS. We only need to do it for us.

Leave all the fan alliance cringe to the cunts like Chavs/Arse/WH etc..... Also look where it got us with our buddies Ajax; Fireworks in the A.M. & concrete projectiles.

Leave all the fan alliance cringe to the cunts like Chavs/Arse/WH etc..... Also look where it got us with our buddies Ajax; Fireworks in the A.M. & concrete projectiles.
Saw this gem earlier.
ykrJiRh.png

Gazza's free kick?????????:gazza2:

It was epic (and against them of course) but as a succession of 'moments', this CL run has been off the scale....

Final always felt a bit like an anticlimax after the semi too..... You bet to fuck this CL final won't! Arguably the most prestigious game in football.

Overall they probably edge it in quality and depth, and they did us home and away this season with pretty much a full strength Spurs team (we played back 4 at home, back 3 away, lost both 2-1). Still, as someone else said our injuries (and their luck) mean the 24pt league gap is flattering to them.

Where I think it gets interesting is mentality. 3-0 down against Barca, emotional crowd behind them they looked unstoppable. I don’t think any team could have withstood that collective energy.

However, if City take the league.......the feeling of injustice and unfairness to the Liverpool cult will be immense. The forever victims will wallow in their own pity of record breaking points and still not winning the league. Then, walk into a final....with a manager who has lost 6 of the 7 major cup finals he’s managed....and they’re the favourites....against a team that cost much less....a team they should beat....the pressure to not collapse and have probably the most disappointing season ever will be huge.

I think then it’s advantage Spurs. We’re desperate to win, but you won’t hear any Spurs talking about ‘deserving’ it. We’ve been up against it all season and the CL has been a battle from the start, the team just fights. What happens in the prem this weekend will have a big impact on the final. If they magic a league title then I’d say they are almost nailed on favourites. Fall short then it’s evens....flip that coin : )

Still, not what sure to think about the what the effect, if any, of their final league position on the final could be.

1st place

+ for us: having won such a huge battle, maybe it'd be difficult for them to get back up for a match a few weeks later, meaning they could play slightly below their best and without as much hunger. (clutching at straws?)
- for us: it'd remove completely any doubts, and the whole buzz around the club would propel them to a PL-CL double.

2nd place

+ for us: it would be a difficult pill to swallow, and they'd have to stew on the disappointment for 3 weeks before they play us.
- for us: they'd do literally anything to ensure that they don't finish the season trophyless.

The question is: would you want to play a desperate, 'heavy metal', PL-less Liverpool or perhaps a Liverpool who've been basking in the glory of a first title in 29 years for a few weeks and therefore may be a little complacent?

I guess another factor is the circumstances in which a 2nd place may come about: beating Wolves while City beat Brighton is one thing, but imagine if both City and Liverpool fail to win, yet City win the title. Such a scenario would not be ideal for Liverpool

What do we all think?

Still, not what sure to think about the what the effect, if any, of their final league position on the final could be.

1st place

+ for us: having won such a huge battle, maybe it'd be difficult for them to get back up for a match a few weeks later, meaning they could play slightly below their best and without as much hunger. (clutching at straws?)
- for us: it'd remove completely any doubts, and the whole buzz around the club would propel them to a PL-CL double.

2nd place

+ for us: it would be a difficult pill to swallow, and they'd have to stew on the disappointment for 3 weeks before they play us.
- for us: they'd do literally anything to ensure that they don't finish the season trophyless.

The question is: would you want to play a desperate, 'heavy metal', PL-less Liverpool or perhaps a Liverpool who've been basking in the glory of a first title in 29 years for a few weeks and therefore may be a little complacent?

I guess another factor is the circumstances in which a 2nd place may come about: beating Wolves while City beat Brighton is one thing, but imagine if both City and Liverpool fail to win, yet City win the title. Such a scenario would not be ideal for Liverpool

What do we all think?

It's 6 of one half dozen of the other in terms of how any of the EPL climax plays out againt the CL final..

If Citeh win the league it could drive them or it could demotivate them. Alternatively is Citeh fuck up it may hamper their intensity just as much as thought of the double could motivate them..

I figure if Klopp is worth his salt, he'll know the CL is at least still in their hands; maybe he'll look past the EPL at this point.

I went for a number of seasons. Many years ago. Started going when Robbo and Fuffy were the centre half pairing and Chuck Martini was in goal.
Yeah big game. Only 375 tickets available to Lynn fans though apparently.

Takes me back this, I used to be a regular at The Walks as well, biggest game was at Fisher away in 04 when Lynn won the Dr Martens Eastern Division, that illustrious team of Wilson, Fuffy, Burrows, Defty, Cammy, Stevo, Dale Watkins and not forgetting little Dave Staff. Then remember having the hump with my folks cos they wouldn’t let me go to the first leg of the league cup final a year later... Best of luck to them today!

Thinking about this game tactically, how does Pochettino play it?

I am thinking 4-5-1 may be the way to go, Lucas up front, play for a clean sheet, try to win it second half with a 4-2-4.

I can't think of many CL finals where going for it right out the gate works, as the other team come back strong.

We are better at attacking than containing but contained City and Chelsea in a one off.

Contain and counter attack them. Real let Liverpool blow their energy out last year. Liverpool may try to kill us early because they feel superior or they may be more measured. Either way, I'd plan to limit them because they are a really good team. Grow into the game, take our chances. I expect a good balance between defence and attack, physicality and pace.

Poch and his staff have loads of time to prepare and get their tactics right. The longer the game goes on the better I will feel about it. Don't want a mountains to climb again after leaking poor goals.

Contain and counter attack them. Real let Liverpool blow their energy out last year. Liverpool may try to kill us early because they feel superior or they may be more measured. Either way, I'd plan to limit them because they are a really good team. Grow into the game, take our chances. I expect a good balance between defence and attack, physicality and pace.

Poch and his staff have loads of time to prepare and get their tactics right. The longer the game goes on the better I will feel about it. Don't want a mountains to climb again after leaking poor goals.

I feel this makes sense as well and I rarely question the strategy of containment and counter-attack first-half, it is just our ability to have the correct tactics or implement them effectively is an issue, especially this season.

Back
Top Bottom