We need more craft and creativity in midfield

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, I agree with this. Hopefully next season Paulinho is in better form and hopefully we bring in a manager with an actual vision of how we should play rather than winging it as we have done under Sherwood.

But if there are any midfielders that are better than Paulinho, Eriksen and Sandro on the market in the summer (and I'm sure there will be), it would be nice if we tried to sign them and improve our squad (which we haven't really done over the last two summers).

You mention the possibility of improving over the positions Eriksen and Sandro play but not Paulinho's? Explain yourself please, Dark One.

You mention the possibility of improving over the positions Eriksen and Sandro play but not Paulinho's? Explain yourself please, Dark One.

I don't think I did. I said if anyone better than our three best midfielders is available in the summer, I want us to buy them so we improve our squad.

I don't think I did. I said if anyone better than our three best midfielders is available in the summer, I want us to buy them so we improve our squad.

Fackin hell either my eyes deceived me or you pulled a clever trick out to edit something. My apologies sir. Giving you a positive rating (as I firmly agree) and then retreating back to sleep.

hahaha Is tim sherwood saying exactly everything I said in the post, does he have an account here?

well sort of

“Sandro and [Etienne] Capoue are similar, in stature and in the way they break up the game. I think Paulinho’s a little bit different, he likes to break forward into the box.

“But we miss that player - I’m not saying [Mousa] Dembele can’t do it because he can pick it up and he can dribble – but we miss someone who moves that ball and passes it between the lines very quickly, and he assists the assister.

first time I heard him talk sense. Tom carroll could be the one to 'assist the assister' the way he puts it.

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...ies_but_carroll_could_be_the_answer_1_3577910

hahaha Is tim sherwood saying exactly everything I said in the post, does he have an account here?

well sort of

“Sandro and [Etienne] Capoue are similar, in stature and in the way they break up the game. I think Paulinho’s a little bit different, he likes to break forward into the box.

“But we miss that player - I’m not saying [Mousa] Dembele can’t do it because he can pick it up and he can dribble – but we miss someone who moves that ball and passes it between the lines very quickly, and he assists the assister.

first time I heard him talk sense. Tom carroll could be the one to 'assist the assister' the way he puts it.

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...ies_but_carroll_could_be_the_answer_1_3577910

Yes, yes he did. Because it's been blatantly obvious for almost two years now.

well sort of

Tom Carroll is having terrible reviews and will compound everything wrong with the club. We don't need another birdlike body among Lennon, Holtby, Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Rose etc etc.

Sherwood is a fkn idiot of the highest order. He's lucky he has the squad he does.

“Gareth Bale needed that ball very quickly and I think Luka Modric got it to him very quickly. I think Tom Carroll was that player - he can do that, absolutely. I tried to bring Tom back [in January], it just wasn’t possible.”

Poor Tim. Modric left and Bale's goals at Spurs DOUBLED.

It's funny how people have suddenly discovered Modric now he's the first name on the teamsheet in the no.1 team in the world currently.

Don't see how Modric leaving two years ago affects us anyway now. The OP is frankly laughable considering we went out and signed 6 midfielders in 2013.

It's funny how people have suddenly discovered Modric now he's the first name on the teamsheet in the no.1 team in the world currently.

Don't see how Modric leaving two years ago affects us anyway now. The OP is frankly laughable considering we went out and signed 6 midfielders in 2013.

Quantity does not equal quality my friend. Just because you buy a load of midfielders does not mean they adequately satisfy needs or roles. If that were the case, we could just promote the entire youth academy this summer and be done with it.

Quantity does not equal quality my friend. Just because you buy a load of midfielders does not mean they adequately satisfy needs or roles. If that were the case, we could just promote the entire youth academy this summer and be done with it.

In those players we bought you don't think there was any quality in there? These signings included a starter in the Brazilian national team, our record transfer spend and a 3 time dutch league winner! Given the right system, plus proper use of holding midfielders to do the defensive work (i.e sandro/capoue) who we haven't really seen this season, we have more than enough creativity within the players already in our ranks

In those players we bought you don't think there was any quality in there? These signings included a starter in the Brazilian national team, our record transfer spend and a 3 time dutch league winner! Given the right system, plus proper use of holding midfielders to do the defensive work (i.e sandro/capoue) who we haven't really seen this season, we have more than enough creativity within the players already in our ranks

Haha I take it you don't spend much time on here (I'm sure for the best), but if you had you'd have seen my take of the Brazilian by now. He is not the solution to our creativity problem, regardless of new manager or changed tactics such as removal of the absurdly high back line and the benefit of less congestion. He is by my take simply not the kind of player we need for the position. We can get into that if you so please, but I think a better idea would be for you to search my posts about him. My mind's quite made up on him after being less than impressed in the fall yet affording him patience and time, and seeing nothing intrinsically in his skillset that suggests he is our solution.

You're absolutely right that we have not appropriately utilized a true CDM this season, especially this spring term. I'd very much like to see the Sandro/Capoue combination work in the future, and at that position individually I have no talent concern. However, I'm still worried about Sandro's knee. There's a reason Sherwood has not felt comfortable with playing such an excellent player despite him being "fit." Human beings were not meant to recover from such an injury, and especially not in the context of a league and sport as demanding as the EPL. I wish him all the best though, as I love his passion for the game and the club.

Eriksen I have no issues with whatsoever. In fact, if you choose to go through last summer's transfer thread, you'll find that I was one of the, if not the, strongest advocate of bringing him in. To this day I still feel as if I'm dreaming when I see him wearing our shirt. With the return of Holtby, we've no no dearth of talent at the CAM position.

You're absolutely right we've brought in some quality players. But the problem remains that we have not adequately and aggressively addressed the role of an integrator in our squad. The one to flip from defense to attack quickly, maintain efficient possession via skill and unpredictability (thus enhancing defense), and find the lanes to attack positions that will eliminate our rigid play of the last two years.

Haha I take it you don't spend much time on here (I'm sure for the best), but if you had you'd have seen my take of the Brazilian by now. He is not the solution to our creativity problem, regardless of new manager or changed tactics such as removal of the absurdly high back line and the benefit of less congestion. He is by my take simply not the kind of player we need for the position. We can get into that if you so please, but I think a better idea would be for you to search my posts about him. My mind's quite made up on him after being less than impressed in the fall yet affording him patience and time, and seeing nothing intrinsically in his skillset that suggests he is our solution.

You're absolutely right that we have not appropriately utilized a true CDM this season, especially this spring term. I'd very much like to see the Sandro/Capoue combination work in the future, and at that position individually I have no talent concern. However, I'm still worried about Sandro's knee. There's a reason Sherwood has not felt comfortable with playing such an excellent player despite him being "fit." Human beings were not meant to recover from such an injury, and especially not in the context of a league and sport as demanding as the EPL. I wish him all the best though, as I love his passion for the game and the club.

Eriksen I have no issues with whatsoever. In fact, if you choose to go through last summer's transfer thread, you'll find that I was one of the, if not the, strongest advocate of bringing him in. To this day I still feel as if I'm dreaming when I see him wearing our shirt. With the return of Holtby, we've no no dearth of talent at the CAM position.

You're absolutely right we've brought in some quality players. But the problem remains that we have not adequately and aggressively addressed the role of an integrator in our squad. The one to flip from defense to attack quickly, maintain efficient possession via skill and unpredictability (thus enhancing defense), and find the lanes to attack positions that will eliminate our rigid play of the last two years.

Agree with your point on Paulinho, he isn't the solution to our creative 'problems'. However, I do think he has a use in a midfield 3 (I.e with a 4-3-3 formation) alongside a DM and a designated playmaker. The role I see him doing best is running forward with the ball and at the opposition, allowing eriksen to find space around the box to play in key passes. Problem is he's been relied upon far too often to cover defensive duties in the midfield.

Agree with your point on Paulinho, he isn't the solution to our creative 'problems'. However, I do think he has a use in a midfield 3 (I.e with a 4-3-3 formation) alongside a DM and a designated playmaker. The role I see him doing best is running forward with the ball and at the opposition, allowing eriksen to find space around the box to play in key passes.

Ideally that was clearly indeed the plan as of this summer, Brazil's volante to come in and be our BTB integrator. Originally sounded good, but it's not enough for the linkup play. We're far too rigid as is, and Paulinho has done nothing and shown nothing enough to prove that he can do what it takes to spark more vertical and dynamic play. Look at a tape of Mateo Kovacic or Milan Badelj, that's the kind of BTB we would need were we to go down that route. Quick, dynamic, aggressive, and incisive. As we've no such BTB player, and yet to find a proven DLP type player, our possession play has the unfortunate appearance of a stranded whale rolling from side to side.

Hence, I think it's hardly "laughable" for the OP to point out that we could still use a player to help rectify our blighted situation. You certainly may disagree with us, but just as certainly it's a rather fair point.

Moutinho would have been the ideal replacement for Modric. We need that type of player to get the best out of players like Paulinho and Dembele.

We've got some great midfielders (or potentially great), but nobody to knit things together. I can't see Eriksen being moved to a deeper role (especially if de Boer comes in), so it's an area that could do with being addressed.

Right now we have an unbalanced midfield that has power and strength, but no engine. Where is the playmaker? Where is the intelligent midfielder that will be able to dictate play, and unlock the opposition?

We just need more structure to our attacking play, I think the personnel are largely fine. At the moment it's based around moments of individual brilliance.

Attacking play doesn't just happen, it's coached. Given the gaping holes in our midfield and defence, and how a single through ball takes out our whole side, and the random nature of our attacking play, I don't think there's too much coaching going on at the moment.

We're relying on the brilliance of Ade and Eriksen, that won't get you through a whole season. Need a bit of variety and a bit of method.

I think there should be more focus on movement, strategy, than looking for a passing master to compensate.

The best attacking teams all attack with very simple passes, its the movement creating the passing opportunity that is the impressive thing and is how they make it all look so easy and simple.

I think there should be more focus on movement, strategy, than looking for a passing master to compensate.

The best attacking teams all attack with very simple passes, its the movement creating the passing opportunity that is the impressive thing and is how they make it all look so easy and simple.

Exactly.

When pundits talk about movement being almost psychic, that doesn't happen by chance. It's about working on it, knowing where players will move, where they like to play the ball and making a logical decision based on that knowledge (i.e. Player X plays on the shoulder, if I take a touch, turn and knock it in between the fullback and centreback, that's where he'll be more often that not).

Still baffles me no one has worked out that Lennon cuts it back to the penalty spot, but there you go.

Tom Carroll is having terrible reviews and will compound everything wrong with the club. We don't need another birdlike body among Lennon, Holtby, Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Rose etc etc.

Sherwood is a fkn idiot of the highest order. He's lucky he has the squad he does.

@pairsy

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/showthread.php?176108-Tom-Carroll-is-Pony

The
Tom Carroll is Pony ......
thread

"Get rid !!!!!! Stop bringing him back in to the midfield , he hoofs it in the air or goes missing in the games"

"(sarcasm)
one of these players that if you say he's rubbish, you know nothing about football. Triffic player, always wants the ball, always trying.......which is why I think he's a fantastic player!"

"Andros Townsend he ain't. Never will be either, so yes, I concur with your sentiment. Biscuit anyone...?"

"We must have our own young midfielders that we could draft in?"

"Coz He wants the ball he's a great player ����������think I do being a Football coach pal , we'll see what everyone else opinions are hey !"

"He hides in games how his supporters cannot see it beggars belief

If he is the future of English football like Sherwood and Southgate seem to believe we will go another 50years without going to close to winning a trophy"

"Had to ask someone next to me if he was still on the pitch after 40 mins . Had no presence on that pitch what so ever , Jenas looked much better in his place when he came on ."

"Jesus Christ...Tom aint our saviour."

It goes on and on and on. I've come to the conclusion that Sherwood does not watch much football, and if he does he does not take it in. Not knowing about Capoue, not watching tape on Liverpool, "I did not know Paulinho could do that", making Lennon captain, not getting a left back, playing Siggy in the middle etc etc.

And now here we are with Carroll can be our Modric? Spurs fans have a romantic ideal of the Carrolls, Huddlestones etc. And Sherwood obviously wants to push his work he did with the youth to blow his own trumpet. It's so transparent.

We just need more structure to our attacking play, I think the personnel are largely fine. At the moment it's based around moments of individual brilliance.

Attacking play doesn't just happen, it's coached. Given the gaping holes in our midfield and defence, and how a single through ball takes out our whole side, and the random nature of our attacking play, I don't think there's too much coaching going on at the moment.

We're relying on the brilliance of Ade and Eriksen, that won't get you through a whole season. Need a bit of variety and a bit of method.

I agree with all of this, in particular the part about individual brilliance. It's plainly obvious when we're able to get it done more often than not against the lesser teams despite a fight, but then get absolutely housed by the better teams. The lack of coaching is also plainly obvious, as there isn't much team play from any combination that suggests it's been planned from unique talents rather than entirely improvised.

However, for me it's about assessing the problems we have, the assets at our disposal, and what we could gain. If we were able to sell Paulinho this summer for what we bought him for after the WC (entirely possible, especially since I think LvG will look to lift Strootman off Roma and they'll want a replacement), with such a sum of cash we could replace him with a few options that are a bit more suitable to our needs (Clasie in particular - aggression, incisiveness, quickness, vision, grit, defensive ability) with plenty of cash left over to get a LB (Umtiti) and maybe cash yet left over. So given the weaknesses we have in the squad at the moment, for me, a 17 mil income for a player of the skillset Paulinho has shown is a no-brainer to divert towards squad rebuild under the new manager.

Back
Top Bottom