What happened end of 2019 season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, we all know it fell apart after the 2019 season. What the fuck happened????

- Eriksen decides to leave
- The Vertonghen black eye
- Poch proclaims before the ECL final the the squad needs major overhaul;=
- Poch resigns, but Levy forces him to stay
- Tripper goes amid issues at club
- Dele loses interest and gets addicted to drugs
- Danny Rose has a meltdown
- A clearly injured Kane starts ahead of our Semi Final heroes Moura and Llorente.

As my old boss use to say. When all logic fails, follow the money.

I am willing to wager that the players missed out on very lucrative bonus's from not winning the champions league final; and felt the club owed them something for their efforts to get to the final. For much of our squad this was a once in a lifetime chance, and the club probably fucked them over financially b4 the first whistle blew. To compound matters, I bet Kane got a hefty bonus.

It all started earlier. There was this win at Goodison Park in December 2018 and from there on something changed. The final was great, but we were incredibly lucky. I asked myself dozens of times what exactly happened in the winter of 18/19.

There is a clear divide within the players. Hugo pretty much said it last night in his interview. No manager can fix this. Squad needs a major overhaul, bring in some of youth players that will give a fuck about the badge. I’d rather see that and lose, than diva players jogging about picking up an easy wage.

Last edited:
It all started earlier. There was this win at Goodison Park in December 2018 and from there on something changed. The final was great, but we were incredibly lucky. I asked myself dozens of times what exactly happened in the winter of 18/19.
What happened was a small squad that had played the whole summer at the world cup and hadn't had a break started to look tired around the Christmas period. We couldn't rotate as the 'big painful rebuild' asked for in May 2018 produced exactly 0 signings and 0 sales of past it and disgruntled players. The dissapointment of the stadium move being delayed from September until March probably didn't help either.

Last edited:
I would say what went wrong in 2019 began in 2016 when Paul Mitchell resigned. After that, I think Poch and Levy found themselves unable/unwilling to pull in the same direction.

I think after the summer of 2018, Poch was desperate to get out. I think he was hoping to be rescued by Utd or Real Madrid.

I think part of the reason Poch cried in Ajax was he'd managed to bring us to a CL final with a squad that he felt was rotting badly. And it WAS rotting badly by then.

I would say what went wrong in 2019 began in 2016 when Paul Mitchell resigned. After that, I think Poch and Levy found themselves unable/unwilling to pull in the same direction.

I think after the summer of 2018, Poch was desperate to get out. I think he was hoping to be rescued by Utd or Real Madrid.

I think part of the reason Poch cried in Ajax was he'd managed to bring us to a CL final with a squad that he felt was rotting badly. And it WAS rotting badly by then.
Brilliant post.

And to our eternal shame, when Poch and Levy came to crisis point, the majority of our fans backed the business man instead of the football man. Only at Tottenham would this happen.

We have got exactly what we deserve for our shameful betrayal of a man who wanted to see our football team thrive.

What happened was a small squad that had played the whole summer at the world cup and hadn't had a break started to look tired around the Christmas period. We couldn't rotate as the 'big painful rebuild' asked for in May 2018 produced exactly 0 signings and 0 sales of past it and disgruntled players. The dissapointment of the stadium move being delayed from September until March probably didn't help either.
This

That game at Everton was our last decent performance under Poch where we deservedly blew them out of the water

No quibbles from whinging Scousers either

Ajax was great no question but we were lucky so WTF happened???

Back
Top Bottom