What was the turning point for you towards Poch?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

not playing nando and lucas in the CL final. Pretty sure he lost half the squad at that point too. Pro's know, and they knew H wasn't fit and for all his talk not everyone was equal to Poch.

We need to keep a bit of perspective here too. I’ve heard plenty of comments (and not just from Spurs fans here) that Spurs will go back to the type of mid table obscurity they were in before Pochettino took over- we were a Top 5 side for most of decade before Pochettino took over and even finished 4th in 2009/10 and 2011/12.

We were all fond of Pochettino and there were giddy notions over two seasons 2015/16 & 2016/17 that we might even win the title, even though we ultimately came up well short both seasons. The 86 points posted in 2016/17 was the only real outlier of a league season. Points tallies in other seasons were in or around what AVB and Arry posted. Higher positions didnhave something to do with Man U in post Sir Alex and Woolwich Wenger transition.

Four consecutive Top 4 finishes not to be scoffed at but we weren’t that far off that level for decade before Pochettino took over and maybe not this season now but I’d be confident enough we’ll be back up there again soon.

I thought after Colchester that we were seeing the end of days, but the 7-2 against Bayern and Brighton 3-0 after were when I was pretty much convinced he wasn’t going to see out the season.

I was never Poch out but in terms of a turning point, I think he and we never should have sanctioned Dembele going to China. Dembele's career has been blighted with injuries but that two years he was relatively injury free he was majestic and I think we ought to have kept him as a senior player in his twilight years to a) use his calming influence on the ball as a rotation option and b) use his status as an admired player and personality to keep the dressing room intact.

You see, it seems the other senior players have become a little too big for their boots. Dembele always wore Spurs on his sleeve and I guess because of his injury record there was never any threat of him moving unless we gave it our blessings. We did and that left us short in midfield, that left us with a lightweight playing DM every week and Poch was left without one his trusty lieutenants off the field.

I was never Poch out but in terms of a turning point, I think he and we never should have sanctioned Dembele going to China. Dembele's career has been blighted with injuries but that two years he was relatively injury free he was majestic and I think we ought to have kept him as a senior player in his twilight years to a) use his calming influence on the ball as a rotation option and b) use his status as an admired player and personality to keep the dressing room intact.

You see, it seems the other senior players have become a little too big for their boots. Dembele always wore Spurs on his sleeve and I guess because of his injury record there was never any threat of him moving unless we gave it our blessings. We did and that left us short in midfield, that left us with a lightweight playing DM every week and Poch was left without one his trusty lieutenants off the field.

A fitting tribute to Moussa, but he wanted to go... I don't begrudge him that....

His comments about leaving around the CL final ... it seemed from that point on nobody at the club was 100% on board with anything, transfers, players, management all seemed just a bit off. No question Poch took us up a level at a time when the top five became top six we were the ones who shook things up ... Poch just never quite got us to the very top.

Managers have a lifespan - keep them to long and when they go everything falls apart (Alex, Arsene) - now is a good time for a change. A new manager, a good squad, a January window, and still in the CL with seemingly nowhere to go but up ... bring on the changes.

I was always disappointed that he never said 'No Way' when quizzed on United / Madrid jobs. He always answered in riddles -even going as far to say 'you never know'.

Turning point? For me the lack of improvement in some of our younger players. Alli, Dier and Sanchez seem to be going backwards and Foyth has shown little growth.

Never really wanted him out, but when Kane started the final and Moura was on the bench I lost all my admiration. The moment i saw the lineup I just knew hes stubbornness has no limits. A player with a hattrick in a semi final. A fucking hero of the competition sits on the bench... I couldnt fucking believe it. Even if for just 60 min... let him start and bring in a Kane for 30-40min.
I never understood his late late subs. He never seemed to have a plan b. We always needed that ‘magic you know’ from our player.

But fucke me i loved following us for the last 5 years. He did that. He fucking enabled players like Kane Son Dele Ericksen Toby Jan Kyle Rose Dembele. And fucking ran them ragged. He took all their energy and turned it into hope and desire. And at one point something snapped.....

There was no Eureka moment, but doubts started creeping in a long time ago, his selections and tactics for big games (because little games they rarely cost us, but big games they invariably got found out), indulging the whole Dier as a CM bollocks, his wasting of decent academy resources to fill squad gaps properly, his recruitment of athletic pea brains, some of these going back 3 years or more.

Listening to him talk, I came to the conclusion that he actually wasn't the brightest guy, it wasn't just a language thing - very amiable, a good people person maybe, and a decent coach, but just not very intelligent.

Two seasons ago I was getting shit for saying we weren't playing great - when we finished 3rd. Then last season when we were making our best ever start, a few of us were shouted down for saying we are actually playing shit, and I remember pointing out that results were massively outperforming various metrics (XG, XGA etc) and that wouldn't be sustainable over a season and being told "fuck off - football isn't stats" but it was born out in the latter half of the season when were were utter garbage.

But the final nail, is that anyone stupid enough to put this donkey at the heart of a midfield that's supposed to be about pressing and possession, every week for two years is playing P45 Russian Roulette, it cost him his philosophy (playing football), the biggest game of his career to date, and finally his fucking job:

5ZoEZ4P.png

Last edited:
So many different things that gradually built up but his press conferences and team selections just seemed to get more baffling as time went on. Lucas Moura is probably a very happy man right now.

I grudgingly turned on him after Bayern. Before then, I sort of lost a little faith in him after that 2-1 FA cup semi final loss against United. Was slowly a loss of faith in him from that point on.

3-0 Brighton i was like enough is enough, but I started to get pissed off with him for the first time last summer with his negativity, but most importantly the weird interviews expressing his desire to leave had we won the CL. You just don’t say that when you are about to start a new season.

I grudgingly turned on him after Bayern. Before then, I sort of lost a little faith in him after that 2-1 FA cup semi final loss against United. Was slowly a loss of faith in him from that point on.

Yep and ironically Mourinho completely outclassed Poch that game tactically. Did a complete number on us in a game that matters, which Poch failed to achieve on so many occasions

Back
Top Bottom