What we wanted -vs- What we got

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dru said:
You know thats not what I meant, I even explained the pace and width of Lennon.

What did you mean by saying playing Dempsey in Lennons position is "just like playing Niko there" then?

That because he's not as fast and wide as Lennon, he will off nothing different to what Niko would have? Still wrong imo...I think Dempsey is explosive, and can still score alot of goals from the wing.

Niko was more of a craft player (Modric mould)

I dunno, I didn't agree with Dru but I think he had a point... it depends a lot on how Dembele and Walker play.

Lennon still does a lot of wide, defensive tracking back, something even missing from Bale's game recently that can leave Ekotto and Livermore caught out.

I think the difference here is Niko and VdV only wanted to be played behind the striker and didn't enjoy doing the hunting down, whereas Dempsey is a lot more open to the industrial side of the game and is generally a more ruthless player for 90 minutes, but we'll see. He might not even play on the right.

Niko was a square peg in a round hole - nothing like Lennon in terms of the way he plays.

Same with Dempsey,
Of course, if avb employs a different system the loss.of Lennon may not matter as much.
I was just making the point if we do require the width and pace of Lennon and he gets injured, we still have no backup/alternative unless Townsend is given a chance, even so, hes had.more experience left side.

Dru said:
Niko was a square peg in a round hole - nothing like Lennon in terms of the way he plays.

Same with Dempsey,
Of course, if avb employs a different system the loss.of Lennon may not matter as much.
I was just making the point if we do require the width and pace of Lennon and he gets injured, we still have no backup/alternative unless Townsend is given a chance, even so, hes had.more experience left side.
We'd most likely end up with a barca form of attack on the right side, Townsend/dempsey cutting in or staying more central to offer Walker huge amounts of space to burst forward, and since he will already be at full tilt by the team he get's the ball (his first touch isn't too poor) he'll destroy LB's. Dempsey can also work something out wide, and he's able to beat players (although not on pure pace) with skill. Don't forget he's a right footer, so swinging it in from the right will work.

I think we have got some good replacements for the players we lost - VdV and Modric

Have to accept that we aren't going to play the same system under AVB, and also these players wanted out. Sigurdsson, Dembele and Dempsey are good, premiership proven players... and we got them at a great price.

Cover for GK was needed.. by keeping Friedel it means we can ease Lloris in without putting him under loads of pressure to perform straight away. He may need time to get used the physical side of the game in the premiership... like De Gea

What I'm upset about is the lack of world class striker that we have been crying out for for an absolute age - since Berbatov left really. Adebayor will do great, as will Defoe who will get well in to double figures. But we have all wanted a 20+ striker for many windows.

Trouble is that kind of player doesn't grow on trees and costs a lot of £££s. It looks like Levy was prepared to spend money on the right player (Llorente) but the wages made it impossible.

I think we will have to either take a punt and spend all our remaining budget on one player in January.

I also reckon that January will see us make a few more younger signings in the mould of Cellabos and Coulibaly.. Levy knows we can't afford to spend big like other clubs so bringing these young talented players through both saves us and makes us money (saves buying a player, could makes us £££s when they leave)

Overall, we did ok, but the last minute balls up of Moutinho left a bitter taste as he was the marque signing we all craved. Instead we got solid/reliable but great players

I made a post elsewhere that we lack cover upfront...I know, hardly gruondbreaking stuff but when you see Obika line up in our three strikers it is glaring.

I have been told by a mate that Moutinho was not personal terms but Porto changing the price due to ownership (they own 605 of Moutinho's contract) if that is true then I expect him to sign in January. Llorente will be a free agent come January, for foreign clubs, I doubt we will get him but I would have loved to have seen a bid for Lewandowski or even, don't hit me, please....Huntelaar.

Personally, Adebayor was an essential signing and I am delighted he is here....why he isn't starting today I don't know!

And with Rose gone, who covers left back, Vertonghen?

All in all I'm happy but left with a feeling of something missing.

Back
Top Bottom