What would your starting XI look like?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was wondering about this for some weeks now and it still appears, that, apart from our CB partnership Verts and Fazio, we just don't have something like a real starting eleven. Don't know if I am allowed to make this thread, but I just did it because I am pissed off after finishing second in the group stages.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Fazio, Verts, Davies, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Lennon, Soldado, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Lloris and backfour don't need explaining. I would rather see Stambouli instead of Mason for the next games because he looked really tired. Lennon, since he is the only one giving us width on the pitch. As much as I can't stand to watch Soldado missing chance after chance, I think that his build-up play and runs are decent, might make a good CAM. Eriksen is a must in our current form and Kane is basically the only striker we are left with now (except Chadli).

No Rose because he is just way too offensive and headless in important situations. Lamela does nothing besides losing the ball. And the rest of our players are even worse.

Your Starting XI?

Conversations like this are fucking pointless. In my opinion anyway. There's no such thing as a starting 11. I wouldn't play the same 11 against stoke as i would against chelsea as i would against burnley. The back 5 perhaps picks itself, when all fit at least but the front 6 could be any combination.

Conversations like this are fucking pointless. In my opinion anyway. There's no such thing as a starting 11. I wouldn't play the same 11 against stoke as i would against chelsea as i would against burnley. The back 5 perhaps picks itself, when all fit at least but the front 6 could be any combination.

Crazy to think how Ranieri used to get slated for this, but it's seen as good management now and is the best way to see it

That starting 11 really does sum up our lack of goal threat. Who's going to score? Kane and Eriksen are the only people who consistently score in that 11.

No matter what formation you pick or what starting 11 we just don't have enough goal threats.

Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Davies
Mason Bentaleb
Lennon Eriksen Chadli
Kane

Vorm Dier Rose Stambouli Winks Lamela Townsend

GET RID: Khumalo, Kaboul, Chiriches, Naughton, Assou-Ekotto, Capoue, Paulinho, Dembele, Adebayor, Soldado.

GET ME IN CHARGE

Crazy to think how Ranieri used to get slated for this, but it's seen as good management now and is the best way to see it
It is odd how these things change over time. I remember even Benitez at 'pool getting absolutely ripped apart for never starting the same team but its always seemed odd to me that there would be a squad of 20-25 players. Its not like we're city or Chelsea... They can afford to stick out the same team when they spend millions to purchase the best players in their positions.

Sometimes we need pace sometimes we need strength. we have about 5 "best 11's" our squad is huge. Tbh its no wonder we've had such a slow start.

It is odd how these things change over time. I remember even Benitez at 'pool getting absolutely ripped apart for never starting the same team but its always seemed odd to me that there would be a squad of 20-25 players. Its not like we're city or Chelsea... They can afford to stick out the same team when they spend millions to purchase the best players in their positions.

Sometimes we need pace sometimes we need strength. we have about 5 "best 11's" our squad is huge. Tbh its no wonder we've had such a slow start.

They used to comment on Redknapp's spurs team like it was odd, saying that we literally had 2 strong teams.

It's now a weakness to not have that apparently

We started out with Capoue at West Ham, now he played shit as a sub in the last minutes. Then, Mason started every game since the derby. Dembele started at Hull and Sunderland. Stambouli got 21 PL minutes.

Lennon starts at West Ham, his second start was against Everton. Kane first started against Stoke, and so on... I know most of the players are awful, but it is just a mess. It is almost half of the season. I don't think we will do much in the transfer window tbh. We can sell players, but who will be brought in? Teofilo Gutierrez? Hope not.

As far as a front four, Chadli definitely deserves more starts given his form prior to injury. Kane and Eriksen can score and deal with the ball smartly when in possession so throw them in too. Aside from that either Lamela or Soldado or Lennon will do, depending on who is in form, opponent, or whether Walker is providing width

An in form striker would change everything though. It's not like we're getting spanked all the time. We tend to only lose by 1 goal. An in form striker is the difference between a loss and a draw and a draw and a win.
Imagine if we had aguero up front.. we'd be top of the league. but even an on form Benteke or someone. Just someone to bang it in occasionally. I think the rest of the team is fine. We create chances. And regardless of who plays.

I would seriously have a for sale sign on everyone bar Kane, Mason, Davies, Walker, Dier & Eriksen (Lloris I'm assuming will realise he is too good for us). Any sort decent offer comes in take it and get Paul Mitchell to work and start again.

The way I see it:
2014/15 float around 8th-14th.. Mass clear out in the summer
2015/16 between 7th-10th with some real promising signs starting to come through
2016/17 back around that 6th mark as we always are, if Mitchell has found some real gems and none of those 5 I mentioned at the start have walked out potentially close-ish to top 4

Back
Top Bottom