Where did this season go wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Horseshoe football went wrong right from the start. Even though we had good start results wise. We were getting dominated, was only a matter of time before it went downhill.

New signings not getting a chance.

Conte unwilling to drop certain players.

The contract situation.

Lloris throwing them in.

Dier went through a spell assisting the oppo team.

7 games of going 2 nil down in first half consecutively and conceding 1st in 10 games or whatever the stat was.(this is actually crazy).

Bentancur getting injured.

Conte issues.

Paratici issues.

Stellini being appointed.

7 noticeable factors that have affected us more than almost any other team

1. Injuries to key players
2. Fans not getting and inspiring the team and players
3. World cup break
4. Var decisions
5. Referee bias given to opposition teams
6. Too much pressure and toxic environment created by our fans
7. Other teams tapping up our main players. I.e. man u with kane

When Gian Piero Ventrone died I think Conte checked out emotionally and the players were also impacted. After that you had the disruption of the World Cup break with so many Spurs players on national teams and a long string of injuries. If the team had any confidence it was gone after the World Cup break.

Conte. I will never forgive him for neglecting Spence and Danjuma, for failing to act to change the course of matches, for not giving his all to win every single match and maximising the potential of every single player in the squad, for not making every player want to crawl across broken glass with their flies unzipped for him, for not being even a fraction of the manager he could have been.

I think some of our signings would have made sense with regards to how much we spent until it became clear we werent going to spend any more money after Bissouma came in. Given at the start of the season we had PEH, Bentancur, Skipp and Sarr we didn't really need another CM, especially since there's been absolutely no sign of us playing a 3 in the middle even with all 5 of them fit. We could've had Jesus for a lot less than richy (who I will still back to come good but facts are facts) who would likely have had at bare minimum the same impact. You've saved like 50m there for a class CB.
Also buying Spence just to loan him out in Jan, then having to get Porro in Jan to rotate with Emerson. I legit think if we left rb alone and spent that money on a keeper and sorted the cbs properly we'd be so much better off, our attack still would've misfired throughout the season but leaked goals has cost us far more than lack of goals scored.

Sacking managers is avoiding the blame for not providing the squad what it needs to win i.e., sacking Poch when the squad got burnt out from 2 transfer windows with 0 new players?

and what was the real reason that 2 TW passed with no players?

Club didn't want to pay going rate for the quality of player that actually improved that squad.

Much easier to avoid taking blame for that so fire the best manager of the last 40 years.

Wankers.

Btw, I'm typing this very calmy. One is not stomping ones feet. My fingers are passing over the keyboard like a butterfly stepping quietly out of your mum's bedroom after giving her one.

Mate, you've turned a comment about the availability of two specific players into a full fat, multi-post, everything rant about the owners whilst descending into mum-gags.

.....'Calm' or otherwise; it's massively out of proportion.

Sacking managers is avoiding the blame for not providing the squad what it needs to win i.e., sacking Poch when the squad got burnt out from 2 transfer windows with 0 new players?

and what was the real reason that 2 TW passed with no players?

Club didn't want to pay going rate for the quality of player that actually improved that squad.

Much easier to avoid taking blame for that so fire the best manager of the last 40 years.

Wankers.

Btw, I'm typing this very calmy. One is not stomping ones feet. My fingers are passing over the keyboard like a butterfly stepping quietly out of your mum's bedroom after giving her one.
Was the last comment really necessary?

If it's agreed a lot has gone wrong. How could that have been allowed to happen ?
Do all the wrongs lead back to Levy ultimately?
giphy.gif

Seriously though. Of course they do.

He hires and fires the managers.
He has the final say on transfers. Both in and out.
He's the reason the likes of Dier Davies and Sanchez have outlasted his previous FOUR managerial appointments.
He's the one behind signing cheap or free alternatives the managers do not want.

Ultimately, he instigated that disgraceful One and a Half year self imposed transfer,embargo that has snowballed into the mess we're in now and the shit show we saw last Saturday.

Taxi for Levy

Last edited:
Have other teams had such bad luck with injuries? Kulu, Romero, Bentencaur are very important players for us; and some of our 1st choice backups (Richy, Moura, Bissouma) were also out.

It is understandable how the players and coach lost their motivation once it was clear that the race was lost - Conte couldn't see the point in fighting to finish 4th, and the players are clearly disappointed that the season has once again turned out the same.
can't agree with you, all players say they want to play in CL, so fighting for 4th is still something to go for, if its fighting for 5th-7th then yes I agree the players & coaches would only go though the motions

we had a manager who didn't want to be here, why ?
didn't he get the players he wanted ?
did he see a losers mentality around the club ?

Every team has had to cope with that mid-season World Cup (of shame). Same for injuries, ref/VAR decisions etc etc.

So it all comes down to this at the end of the day: our club, from top to bottom, has let us down simply because our Board, coaching staff and players are neither good nor motivated enough. Period.

Only the fans...well, a vast majority of them at least...are blameless.

Degrees of blame here but yes.

I know some are saying failing to sign a quality centre back. We thought/some believe that is Romero. Rare to have two of top quality but we needed better.

I think most would say they thought our summer business was okay so that's a bit rich now, but none have thus far been as good as hoped for.

Conte for me did nothing that a half decent manager on a fifteen of his reported salary couldn't have done.

And now since his departure, it's all on Levy because Stellini should be nowhere near the first team.

The players are only as good as the manager. Will always be thus.

Last edited:
Degrees of blame here but yes.

I know some are saying failing to sign a quality centre back. We thought/some believe that is Romero. Rare to have two of top quality but we needed better.

I think most would say they thought our summee business was okay so that's a bit rich now, but none have thus far been as good as hoped for.

Conte for me did nothing that a half decent manager on a fifteen of his reported salary couldn't have done.

And now since his departure, it's all on Levy because Stellini should be nowhere near the first team.

The players are only as good as the manager. Will always be thus.

Romero was already at the club. The (very public) target was 2 top class CBs last summer.

The club completely failed to achieve that.

we brought in a manager who's whole schtick is playing 3 CBs. He told them, "I win things but I need good CB's!".
Then the club looked at the CBs he wanted and they cost 70m Bastoni, 90m Gvardiol and they went "How about Lenglet on loan?"

It was the football equivalent of getting a top of the range interior designer to write you a plan for your multi-million pound mansion, then seeing the budget and trying to recreate it with stuff from Ikea,

I'm not there when the lads train, when the team meetings take place, when they meet in the dressing room to get ready for the warm-up and then for the game.
I'm not in!

Nevertheless, my assessment would be that a certain indifference (?) crept in under Mr. Conte over time, a speech to the team that either didn't interest them or was to die for because the speach was boring(?).

Maybe some players are not aware of which club they are on the mat for?
On the other hand - what did we deduct, for example at Emerson Royal - and suddenly (was it under Stellini?) he shows that he doesn't just have legs to stand on - but plays football!

Players like Son, Kulu, yellow card Fan Romero, Perisic, Höjbjerg and of course Harry are names that gave me big gastrointestinal problems even before the Eintracht game against Spurs.

If I then compare, the performance of the team under Poch gives me the impression that back then it was more about a unit than it is today.

Old-fashioned, football romantic that I am, I hope that the team behind the team and the players themselves realize that they are not just employees of just any club, but of a club that has a big name, at least in Germany.

For the rest of the season I'm hoping for a gasp, realizing what a great job you have and I still think we (!) can finish in the top four of the PL!

I lie down again!

Time For Bed Home GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

Despite all the giggling school girls on here getting all excited in the summer , our transfer window was a steaming pile of shite and that's not hindsight , I said it at the time

We failed to address any of our major problems from the previous few years

Went into the season with dreadful wing backs , incompetent CBs and past it goalkeepers

Splashed 60 mil on a striker worth about half of that

You can point the finger at the manager and tactics all you like but until we sort out our recruitment , both incomings and outgoings , this is gonna continue to happen

People have been sucked into a Paratici cult in the same way as Levy

Not only is he a fraud but he isn't very good at his job either , the common consensus that our recruitment has improved under him does not ring true to me

Back
Top Bottom