Which players need to go?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We all have those certain individuals who we personally don't rate or downright dislike but this is a list of those players that I feel almost all will agree should go.

Vorm.
Aurier.
Rose.
Foyth.
Vertonghen.
Lamela.

Some of you might add KWP, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Winks & Ndombele to that list but that just ain't gonna happen in one transfer window.
For me that 1st six are the ones we have to get out of the door.

We all have those certain individuals who we personally don't rate or downright dislike but this is a list of those players that I feel almost all will agree should go.

Vorm.
Aurier.
Rose.
Foyth.
Vertonghen.
Lamela.

Some of you might add KWP, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Winks & Ndombele to that list but that just ain't gonna happen in one transfer window.
For me that 1st six are the ones we have to get out of the door.
Add KWP
Dier
Winks

Go now

Vorm
Gazzaniga

Vertonghen
Rose
Foyth

Sissoko
Moura
Lamela

I'd love to see Ndombele & Lo Celso given a chance play in a Cm3 with a proper decent 6 for a season.

But to be honest, there aren't really any of our players I wouldn't sell if the price was right at the moment.

Here's a list of players with their officially announced contract expiry dates.

Contract
expires
TANGANGA Japhet2020KEEP
VERTONGHEN Jan2020KEEP
VORM2020GO
CCV2021GO
DIER Eric2021KEEP
FERNANDES Gedson2021KEEP
ROSE Danny2021GO
SKIPP Oliver2021KEEP
AURIER Serge2022GO
FOYTH Juan2022MEH
GAZZANIGA Paulo2022MEH
LAMELA Erik2022GO
LLORIS Hugo2022MEH
WHITEMAN Alfie2022KEEP
ALDERWEIRELD Toby2023KEEP
CLARKE Jack2023KEEP
SISSOKO Moussa2023KEEP
SON Heung-min2023KEEP
WALKER-PETERS Kyle2023GO
Parrott, Troy2023KEEP
ALLI Dele2024KEEP
DAVIES Ben2024KEEP
KANE Harry2024KEEP
MOURA Lucas2024KEEP
SANCHEZ Davinson2024GO
WINKS Harry2024KEEP
BERGWIJN Steven2025KEEP
LO CELSO Giovani2025KEEP
NDOMBELE Tanguy2025GO
SESSEGNON Ryan2025KEEP

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Lamela, Lucas, Rose, and Dier should be moved on, although maybe Jose can get a tune out of Dier? Loans for Parrot, Skipp, and Walker-Peters unless they receive meaningful minutes when football resumes in 2025.

I hope everyone gets a clean slate and Conte will either make or break certain players in this team. Whoever he decides is surplus to our needs then I'll support it.

More than hoping for certain players to go, I'm more focused on us ruthlessly making decisions and moving on when we are at a dead end with a player.

I hope everyone gets a clean slate and Conte will either make or break certain players in this team. Whoever he decides is surplus to our needs then I'll support it.

More than hoping for certain players to go, I'm more focused on us ruthlessly making decisions and moving on when we are at a dead end with a player.

In theory that’s what people should want when a new manager comes, unfortunately several of our players have been stealing a living for a long time and helped get 3 managers the sack. I don’t think we need to see Doherty, Winks, Dele playing 6 months before we realise they aren’t going to cut it with us anymore.
Kane also should be sold and replaced if it’s possible this upcoming window (although Conte will surely have a massive say in this).

In theory that’s what people should want when a new manager comes, unfortunately several of our players have been stealing a living for a long time and helped get 3 managers the sack. I don’t think we need to see Doherty, Winks, Dele playing 6 months before we realise they aren’t going to cut it with us anymore.
Kane also should be sold and replaced if it’s possible this upcoming window (although Conte will surely have a massive say in this).

I generally agree with what you are saying. I have my own list of players that I wouldn't mind if they never play for us again. That said, the only hesitation I feel is because we know that Jose was a dinosaur and Nuno was totally helpless, so can I really say that Conte won't be able to get something out of these players? Winks and Dele were on the decline under Poch as well, but so was the whole team. I'm not defending them but it may just be that they need a mental adjustment and the right system to shine again.

I personally don't think that there is any hope for Doherty or Winks, but there is nothing wrong with them suddenly finding a new and productive life under Conte. I want to throw Dele into that mix as well because I feel like he may be finished, but if anyone is going to be able to figure out how to make him work again it will be him.

I guess my point is that without even one game coached yet, my faith is in Conte to figure out the wheat from the chaff.

As the romantic I am, I'm still hoping to see the old Dele back. Winks also for that matter.

I don't believe it but I'm kind of hoping.

If Kane all of a sudden believes in the coach and Paratici's project, and start to show that, I want him to stay.

Doherty has lots to prove and Davies too. I wouldn't mind both leaving.

Bergwijn is pretty useless, I hope he goes.

I'm not a big Lucas fan but I can see what he brings. Wouldn't cry if he was sold.

Is Tanganga going to make it? Would
like to see him tried in a back 3.

I kind of like Rodon. Hope he gets a chance and takes it.

Sanchez, guess he got to go.

Dier, not homegrown. Think he has to go.

Højbjerg, very limited player. But probably stays. Wouldn't mind him replaced by an upgrade.

Skipp, stays, homegrown, great talent, looks pretty ok already.

Ndombele, if Conte can't get a consistent tune from him until Christmas, he's got to go.

Lo Celso, I've kind of given up on him. Hope Conte can turn it around.

Sessegnon, might work as wingback in Conte's system. Hope he gets a couple of months injury free.

Clarke, got to go?

Son, Romero, Regi, Lloris, Royal, Gil stays

Last edited:
Dier, Doherty, Davies, Winks, Ndombele, Alli, Lo Celso and Bergwijn.
Sanchez and Sessegnon get a squeeze.

I think you’re right on that and I reckon they will all be on the market although I would like to see what Conte could do with Sessegnon if they can get him off the treatment table. Theoretically he should be good for the left wing back spot as back up.

I want to throw Dele into that mix as well because I feel like he may be finished, but if anyone is going to be able to figure out how to make him work again it will be him.

I guess my point is that without even one game coached yet, my faith is in Conte to figure out the wheat from the chaff.
As the romantic I am, I'm still hoping to see the old Dele back. Winks also for that matter.

I don't believe it but I'm kind of hoping.

I generally believe that new coach should be able to assess ability from zero.
But there is one exception who should not get a chance and hopefully his stadium access key is already taken from him - and that is Dele.

I don't want to see him being imposer for first 3 weeks like under Mou and then totally vanishing once more. It only -
- disrupts the rythm of the whole team and finding best possible lineup
- just buys him time to continue taking wages and playing poorly even in few months perspective
- keeps his value in constant decline

We should cash in on him in 1st day of the window and put this money into player who has basic footballing ability like controlling the ball, looking around and making a pass... instead of trying fancy 3 meter flicks that almost never come off. He had the talent but it is gone. He has finishing ability and ability to be in right place at the right time, but for Spurs level he is not good enough on No10 role (position requires more composure), he is not good enough in CM (not sufficient mid-to-long range passing + lack of composure).

For everyone else I am willing to give a chance, but Dele is definition of Spurs downfall. His attitude and commitment are questionable and he has friends in the changing room. Spurs don't need that influence. Hope he will only play in Conference league from now on and is sold in winter.

Back
Top Bottom