why football should take rugby measures in its approach.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so after the dismal result of our semi final I find myself wondering why football hasn't taken the approach of rugby?
now I for one absolutely HATE rugby, and its quite hard living in a rugby nation and being a football supporter.
however I am often forced to endure rugby matches on tv or have to sit and listen to my mates banter about the rugby game, and
one thing I have to say that they have gotten right is enforcing of fair play. The FA and FIFA have all these stories of technology that needs to be tested and bla bla bla... what a fucking load of bollocks. just put a fourth official in a room with video playback. anybody watching the playback yesterday could have made that decision. NO GOAL. loads of decisions could be quickly and accurately decided if need be by a 4th official. another major issue i had with the game yesterday, possibly even more so than the ghost goal, was the decision made when we scored. according to the rules if a goal keeper brings a player to ground to stop a goalscoring opportunity its a penalty and red card.
peter cech should have seen red and chelsea should have been down to 10 men. the rules are applied so haphazardly to suit every situation that I'm left wondering why some of the refs haven't be demoted for doing such a bad job of late. and lastly the citing of players after games really and truly needs to be applied to football. according to my knowledge every rugby match is scrutinized for problems which need to be routed out. eye gouging and dangerous playing being regular things i hear players be cited for. the same should happen with football. after the game the video footage should be checked by a team of regulators that pick out unsportsmanlike conduct and other things the ref might have missed out on, and the guilty players/refs are fined and docked wages as well as having game bans imposed. surely the divers who win unfair penalties will stop diving. the back chatting and attacking the ref over decisions will stop, the obvious bad calls by refs will stop, the blatent dangerous tackles ans head stomping ala bolatelli will stop.
why is it so hard for such a big, rich organisation such as the FA or FIFA to do something so simple to stop the ruining of such a wonderful sport...

durbanspur said:
so after the dismal result of our semi final I find myself wondering why football hasn't taken the approach of rugby?
now I for one absolutely HATE rugby, and its quite hard living in a rugby nation and being a football supporter.
however I am often forced to endure rugby matches on tv or have to sit and listen to my mates banter about the rugby game, and
one thing I have to say that they have gotten right is enforcing of fair play. The FA and FIFA have all these stories of technology that needs to be tested and bla bla bla... what a fucking load of bollocks. just put a fourth official in a room with video playback. anybody watching the playback yesterday could have made that decision. NO GOAL. loads of decisions could be quickly and accurately decided if need be by a 4th official. another major issue i had with the game yesterday, possibly even more so than the ghost goal, was the decision made when we scored. according to the rules if a goal keeper brings a player to ground to stop a goalscoring opportunity its a penalty and red card.
peter cech should have seen red and chelsea should have been down to 10 men. the rules are applied so haphazardly to suit every situation that I'm left wondering why some of the refs haven't be demoted for doing such a bad job of late. and lastly the citing of players after games really and truly needs to be applied to football. according to my knowledge every rugby match is scrutinized for problems which need to be routed out. eye gouging and dangerous playing being regular things i hear players be cited for. the same should happen with football. after the game the video footage should be checked by a team of regulators that pick out unsportsmanlike conduct and other things the ref might have missed out on, and the guilty players/refs are fined and docked wages as well as having game bans imposed. surely the divers who win unfair penalties will stop diving. the back chatting and attacking the ref over decisions will stop, the obvious bad calls by refs will stop, the blatent dangerous tackles ans head stomping ala bolatelli will stop.
why is it so hard for such a big, rich organisation such as the FA or FIFA to do something so simple to stop the ruining of such a wonderful sport...
Rugby is a very good pointer as to how to remove the unfairness in the game - respect for the referee with only the captain allowed to communicate with him, sin-bins, video technology, citing and retrospective bans are all great ideas.

The thing about comparing football and rugby for me is players only dive, roll around and feign injuries in football to gain an advantage, there is no advantage to be gained in rugby if you do that so it a completely redundant point when anyone brings rugby players up when someone dives.

Virtually every rule in football has "if in the opinion of the referee" in front of it.......it means that as long as there is no violent conduct in a situation that the ref can basically decide whatever they want

To be honest, the diving is starting in rugby....

At least once a game you'll see a guy kick over the top and pretend to get obstructed as he runs through.

Obviously it's not on the level of football, but I'm sure if next season they brought in retro bans for divers and instant yellow cards for dissent you'd see A) loads of sending offs for a couple of weeks and B) Better behaved players after those first few games.

I think a video panel who sits and rules on things like diving or bad challenges is a must for next year.

im not comparing the sports directly just the laws that govern them.
scott parkers head getting stomped in by the cunt that goes on to win a game he should have been sent off during is hardly fair.
same goes for yesterdays ghost goal and the non sending off of cech. is it just me or does it seem the entire footballing world has a vendetta against us?

coalhada said:
Cech denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. Adebayor's.

Not according to FIFA, I refer you to their document "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game - Law 12", which says:

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned."

...so with the ball breaking to the other attacking player in attendance who slots the ball home for a easy goal... Advantage played. Goal. No red card. Yellow, maybe...

coalhada said:
Secondly, clattering someone because you're 2 on 1 is violent conduct.

...except it wasn't. Violent conduct is defined in the FIFA document linked above thus:

"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match offi cial or any other person."

The goal wasn't scored directly. Or Adebayor didn't have the ball when Cech took him down. One or the other.

The rules as written don't really work. Going by the current interpretation as seen on Sunday you could deliberately break someone's legs and not be sanctioned as long as the ball trickles into the net.

Mind you, I do think reds as sanctions against goalies in this kind of situation in general are ridiculously harsh.

So I guess in the end football was the winner.

bensonrecon said:
Rugby in football is already happening, just watch Stoke :rimshot:

Or watch Suarez:
XwkXW.gif

Pyro_era said:
bensonrecon said:
Rugby in football is already happening, just watch Stoke :rimshot:

Or watch Suarez:
XwkXW.gif
how that cunt didn't get sent off for that is beyond me, should've atleast gotten a retro ban... that's just disgraceful, oh wait, talking about the dippers here... nvm

Im a massive Rugby fan, going to the Heineken cup final at Twickenham May 19th... COME ON UlLSTER. Anyway. The Citing Officer, TV official points are a must from rugby, but i would take it further.

American Football. In the NFL a Coach has 3 Challenges in a game, 1 more if it goes to extra time. You can challenge a call you think is wrong, and have the decision overturned. This could be tremendous. It satisfies all the "Old schoolers" who dont want the "game to slow down" etc.

You win your challenge, you keep your challenge, you lose, you lose a challenge. Simple as that.

Now this is where it gets interesting, For example. Someone gets a corner, the manager thinks it didnt cross line, he waits to see outcome of corner, oppo team scores, manager challenges. WRONG. Doesnt work like that. You NEED to get that challenge off before play is resumed.

Say what you will, its a system that works. Keeps managers on their toes, and they need to be smart enough for when they use said challenges.

This is the system I think should be in place.

Probably should only get 1 challenge per half, and there should be a rule that says that you cannot use them frivolously, (i.e in injury time to slow play down)

Ref or 4th Official has 60 seconds to look at the replays, if he can't make his mind up in 60 seconds, original decision stands.

Back
Top Bottom