Why is Levy treated like the Messiah?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Belgian Spur said:
Dru said:
I think Levy is a fucking Ninja. I would not want to be an agent trying to do a deal with him.

Just look at where we were when he and his team arrived and where we are now, that should be enough for anyone really.

Also, for people saying he's bungled teransfers and so on, whats to say half of them arent out of his hands? maybe he knew there was no way Berba would stay and Man U knew that so were offering shit money. He always does what's in the best interest of the club, thats his job. Would people rather he sold Berba right away for 10/15mil and got someone like Carlton Cole to replace him?

Fact is, we dont know the ins and outs of trasnfers, there are probably LOADS throughout a season that all sorts of clubs miss out on for silly litte reasons.
What we do know is we were in a pickle going nowhere when he rode in, and look where we are now.

Preach brother Dru , preach !
:laugh:

Smoked Salmon said:
penpen said:
Bungled countless transfer windows is harsh -- we don't operate with the same cash cushion as other top teams, so I think his careful, conservative buying and selling has actually been quite savvy. I mean, the Adebayor deal alone this past year was genius, a loan is one thing, but getting City to pay the majority of his ridiculous wages to play for us? And the reason for all the financial conservatism is of course the very stadium plans you rightly cite as the most important issue for the future of THFC.
I appreciate this, but, at the same time, it didn't take a genius to realise that, for example, if you leave selling a striker like Berbatov until deadline day your chances of a decent replacement are zero.

Furthermore, it's arguable that a lot of our squad deadwood would've gone by now but for LEvy holding our for large sums of money.

Plus, it's clear in many windows what our squad has needed and they have opened and closed without it being dealt with.

So really, I think you can argue it either way.

I think Levy has actually learned and improved over the years from getting burned by the likes of Berbatov and Bentley. In terms of deadwood, again, like you say, I think he has the long game in mind, knowing he has to maintain bargaining credibility or say goodbye to selling players at fair prices and we can see the strategy pay off in cases like the 15-20 mil Crouch/Palacios deal. Ultimately, he's not willing to sell if he still sees unrealized value in one of his "assets." You can see this in the contrast between Hutton and Jenas, the hopeless one he sold fairly cheap, the other he merely loaned hoping to boost value prior to sale, unfortunately for the latter, injuries prevented it from working out. Meanwhile, some of the "deadwood" like Gio/Pienaar for example, Levy might rightly be thinking are actually pieces with value that should be a useful part of a competitive premier league squad. I would not be surprised if failure to intelligently rotate and maximize these pieces was part of the reason Harry ultimately got the sack.

penpen said:
I think Levy has actually learned and improved over the years from getting burned by the likes of Berbatov and Bentley. In terms of deadwood, again, like you say, I think he has the long game in mind, knowing he has to maintain bargaining credibility or say goodbye to selling players at fair prices and we can see the strategy pay off in cases like the 15-20 mil Crouch/Palacios deal. Ultimately, he's not willing to sell if he still sees unrealized value in one of his "assets." You can see this in the contrast between Hutton and Jenas, the hopeless one he sold fairly cheap, the other he merely loaned hoping to boost value prior to sale, unfortunately for the latter, injuries prevented it from working out. Meanwhile, some of the "deadwood" like Gio/Pienaar for example, Levy might rightly be thinking are actually pieces with value that should be a useful part of a competitive premier league squad. I would not be surprised if failure to intelligently rotate and maximize these pieces was part of the reason Harry ultimately got the sack.

Agree that Levy has come a long from where he started. But I hope that he has learned enough to have a plan before sacking Harry, and that plan better be good. :parker:

I don't love Levy. But he is a good chairmen. He fits right in to the cesspool the modern game has become.

Back
Top Bottom