Will we win trophies with Pochettino? (Read thread before voting)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will we win trophies with Poch as our manager!

• Yes

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
To me, these days, there's only really the PL and CL titles that matter, and we're competing for both with clubs effectively backed by entire states and playing catch up to clubs like Madrid and United who've benefitted from the globalization of football to become like mini states, so it's just very difficult to win either. Just one would be a fantastic achievement and would require a couple of good breaks, which we didn't have in either 15/16 or the following year. But maybe we will have that in the CL this year, who knows? But even if not, life's always about the journey rather than the destination, and it's mostly been an enjoyable one under Poch.

To me, these days, there's only really the PL and CL titles that matter, and we're competing for both with clubs effectively backed by entire states and playing catch up to clubs like Madrid and United who've benefitted from the globalization of football to become like mini states, so it's just very difficult to win either. Just one would be a fantastic achievement and would require a couple of good breaks, which we didn't have in either 15/16 or the following year. But maybe we will have that in the CL this year, who knows? But even if not, life's always about the journey rather than the destination, and it's mostly been an enjoyable one under Poch.

These days the PL & CL really are the Holy Grail for history, stature in the game, and part of the process in getting there is building the Spurs brand so it is recognised and respected as a genuine contender with longevity part of that dream.

I was having a smoke earlier and wondering to myself if a player had the same money on the table from us and Woolwich, would he now chose us over them being completely neutral as a foreign player for example. I think a player with no emotion involved, no monetary gains over either would chose us over them mainly due to our reputation being enhanced by competing in the Champions League and in Europe. Can anyone really say the same brand strengthening to make the club a bigger pull on all fronts could have happened with a random Carabao Cup or FA Cup win instead?

Our competing in the PL & CL goes hand in hand with our clubs growth in size. If offered I'd still take top 4 this season and next over a domestic cup win. The longer we are recognised and associated with the Champions League brand, the greater the chance for long term success a team the club instead of a hope for the best one off campaign

That makes no sense.

Every semi-final or final he has played his/our strongest team.

He should have guided us to a trophy by now, given the talent of the various squads on the one hand and the good opportunities we have had on another.

Our league finishes in the last 5 years tell you how good our squads have been so it's a strange one.
I hope we do win something for the sake of our squad. Players like Vertonghen have given us so many years and it would be sad that he wouldnt win anything in all this time.

We've been in the CL for a few years now, I'd happily swap a year of CL if it meant we win a cup or two. I mean even fucking arse keep winning cups while our club with a much better squad has spiderwebs growing in trophy cabinet.

That makes no sense.

Every semi-final or final he has played his/our strongest team.

He should have guided us to a trophy by now, given the talent of the various squads on the one hand and the good opportunities we have had on another.

Our league finishes in the last 5 years tell you how good our squads have been so it's a strange one.
How many times under him have we fielded weak sides in the domestic cups and crashed out as a result?
We need a shift in mentality towards these cups as they are the only ones we have any chance of winning any time soon

We may have got to a couple of semis and a final but generally we have been poor in the cups

How many times under him have we fielded weak sides in the domestic cups and crashed out as a result?
We need a shift in mentality towards these cups as they are the only ones we have any chance of winning any time soon

We may have got to a couple of semis and a final but generally we have been poor in the cups

Id say that was a depth issue than a mentality issue.

Every club rotates. However most of the bigger clubs, the ones with far greater resources than us, tend to have better depth to allow them to compete on all fronts

The last time we won the FA Cup it was really down to one man.
And that wasn’t the manager. Gazza absolutely pulled us through that cup run single handedly at times.

And that was almost 30 years ago now. And 14 managers.

So really we are saying the League Cup is our most realistic aim. Which we have won twice since 1999. Before that we won it in 1973!
We are hardly serial winners of trophies....... maybe that is really the bigger problem here.

So I like the fact Poch wants to go for the big game trophies. But unless all the stars align, like they did for Leicester, I can see our current trophy-less run continue.

Going back to my starting point. We seem to lack that player who wins you the big big games that win cups.
And I don’t see the club investing in that player either.

Quite clearly a major overhaul has to come..its a good time to be a yid in general but there's that thought of 'if only.'
I think poch has done a remarkable job with what he's been given.
I'd almost resigned myself to not seeing us win the league in my lifetime..that I can recall anyway..the Next season or two are possibly some of the biggest in the club's history and will shape us as perennial wanna be's that never will be that will nick a cup now and then or a team that will compete at the very highest level and win trophies.
Please don't tell me 2/3/4 is success, it's just being best also rans so to speak unless your an accountant but is required at least to keep up with the Jones's if you know what I mean.
Poch has to squuuuueze every penny he can from slaphead and make the most any other finance he brings in from likely sales..and there will be..Eriksson almost looks like his head is elsewhere..Toby is gone as we all know and I wouldn't be surprised if there was another major sale too.
As someone who watches the youth / 23s regularly I don't really see anyone coming through fairly quickly now and on reflection though I do feel burnett the coach needs to be shot...it's seems to have gone backwards quickly.
We are going to be paying the highest ticket prices in world club football imho in the next few seasons..Next season will be my 53rd going to the lane and loved every minute of following spurs but I want a return ..but I honestly feel we'll fall short again.

Last edited:
Not going happen, our level is to hit top 4 at best.
Poch is great dude , built a good team but it has peaked . There is not the bucks to hit top level and also players levels will low grade with time.
Always 1 or 2 game main men changers away .
It "hurts" at times and Johnny Cash puts it better than me bros . The poker hand is always stacked
against us .
I'm riding the train, l ain't getting off but l know l wont get there . So what .

If it was going to happen it would have by now - if you can’t win silverware with the likes of Kane, Ali, Eriksen, Son, Lloris, Alderwield and Dembele then you never will.

I have little doubt that most will look back on this period and see it has a massive missed opportunity greater than the ‘87 team.

We haven’t won silverware quite simply because Pochettinho isn’t good enough - either on ability or mentality. If any other club manager had stated such comments as he has about the FA Cup, about how we have higher priorities, that off the field financial success/ stability would mean more than a title he would be routinely mocked on here.

I have never really seen a coach so immune to criticism - only Ferguson is on that level and he is the games most successful manager. It’s very much starting to feel like David Moyes tenure at Everton - like Moyes Pochettinho has been massively elevated above his ability and actual achievements.

We are seeing the Redknapp era play out play by play. Both were and are good coaches but both were the weak link in the chain that had and continue to hold us back on the silverware front.

Football has changed. Clubs like City, Chelsea and United have resources far greater than us.

We won’t consistently win trophies, sadly. Nobody’s fault, we are punching well above our weight.

Football has changed. Clubs like City, Chelsea and United have resources far greater than us.

We won’t consistently win trophies, sadly. Nobody’s fault, we are punching well above our weight.

So it doesn’t matter what team we put out on the pitch because United and City’s revenue stream is larger and thefore we have already lost.

It’s amazing just how detached this mentality is from the team we actually have. It doesn’t matter that United’s revenue is greater whilst we have a better footballing side and have done for four seasons.

A. Madrid and Dortmund have managed to silverware against the financial elites in their league simply because they were able to build an elite team by other means. We’ve done the same but instead chose to believe that we cannot compete. Is it any wonder we haven’t won anything.

Yes for me.
Poch is in it for the long haul.....all this is the beginning stuff. He doesn’t mind not winning yet, because he’s planning a long term project.

We are desperate. He isn’t.
Had we not left WHL we’d have a title already. We’re going back soon.

I could see us go all out for the CL now the PL is unattainable, so yes for me.
We’re still building a team...we have no home. It’s like we’ve been in transition for two seasons and remained top 3.

People can call the squad mid table, well the table doesn’t lie. We are top 3 and have been for 4 years now, and next season will be immense

If it was going to happen it would have by now - if you can’t win silverware with the likes of Kane, Ali, Eriksen, Son, Lloris, Alderwield and Dembele then you never will.

I have little doubt that most will look back on this period and see it has a massive missed opportunity greater than the ‘87 team.

We haven’t won silverware quite simply because Pochettinho isn’t good enough - either on ability or mentality. If any other club manager had stated such comments as he has about the FA Cup, about how we have higher priorities, that off the field financial success/ stability would mean more than a title he would be routinely mocked on here.

I have never really seen a coach so immune to criticism - only Ferguson is on that level and he is the games most successful manager. It’s very much starting to feel like David Moyes tenure at Everton - like Moyes Pochettinho has been massively elevated above his ability and actual achievements.

We are seeing the Redknapp era play out play by play. Both were and are good coaches but both were the weak link in the chain that had and continue to hold us back on the silverware front.
Who do you suggest we replace poch with next to be winners !

Who do you suggest we replace poch with next to be winners !

We’re going to be entering a rebuild phase - the scope for silverware in the next five years is going to dramatically less than it was in the previous 5 unless we are able to build such a side again. Had we had someone like Ancelloti, Conte or even a Simeone then I have little doubt we would have a trophy to our name.

So it doesn’t matter what team we put out on the pitch because United and City’s revenue stream is larger and thefore we have already lost.

It’s amazing just how detached this mentality is from the team we actually have. It doesn’t matter that United’s revenue is greater whilst we have a better footballing side and have done for four seasons.

A. Madrid and Dortmund have managed to silverware against the financial elites in their league simply because they were able to build an elite team by other means. We’ve done the same but instead chose to believe that we cannot compete. Is it any wonder we haven’t won anything.

The key word in my post is consistently.

We’re going to be entering a rebuild phase - the scope for silverware in the next five years is going to dramatically less than it was in the previous 5 unless we are able to build such a side again. Had we had someone like Ancelloti, Conte or even a Simeone then I have little doubt we would have a trophy to our name.

Well aware of the rebuild as I said in my original post.i asked you who we should replace poch with not who we should have had!.
I doubt any of those three would come here...conte especially who'd want a kings ransom to spend which he ain't going to get .

Well aware of the rebuild as I said in my original post.i asked you who we should replace poch with not who we should have had!.
I doubt any if those three would come here...conte especially who'd want a kings ransom to spend which he ain't going to get .

He didn’t get a kings ransom at Chelsea - and I have little doubt that either him or Ancellotti would come here. Simeone is a more difficult ask given the level of contract they have just given him. If Pochettinho goes this summer they are the types of managers I want - we may actually win something in the time we have left with these players.

Back
Top Bottom