with an eye on the forthcoming NLD.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

from a BBC piece on some derby in south America

<Big snip>
These ruminations are inspired by the fact that my brief visit back to London coincides with the build-up to next weekend's Woolwich-Tottenham game. The north London clash always used to be one of my favourite derbies, because the fault line was as much philosophical as anything else.

Woolwich were Bertie Mee and George Graham - reliable, dour, almost perversely provincial. Tottenham, from Danny Blanchflower to Ossie Ardiles, cut a dash that ached of metropolitan sophistication.

After so much time away I am no longer so sure of my bearings. For all the rumpus about Woolwich's transfer tardiness, the Arsene Wenger, Emirates stadium outfit come across as a different, far more cosmopolitan club than the one I remember. And so what is the fault line now? Is it merely the tradition of two tribes who congregate near opposite ends of the Seven Sisters Road?

In one of his best musings on football, journalist Hunter Davies recalls being at White Hart Lane when the crowd embarked on the inevitable chants of "stand up if you hate Woolwich". Only Davies and an old supporter nearby were immune to the call.

"I'm too old to hate," explained Davies.

"I'm too old to stand," replied the man.

o_O What is this article about? Not sure what the main point is.

That we shouldnt hate Woolwich? I will always hate them cunts no person on the 'net will tell me not to...
Other than that, I cant figure out what im meant to be taking...

That we shouldnt hate Woolwich? I will always hate them cunts no person on the 'net will tell me not to...
the main bit was on a derby game in Argentina, I just thought the last bit was funny and worth repeating.
You carry on hating "them cunts" all you like.

is there anything that I post that you don't find something to carp about?
FFS, its a mildly amusing story

its not meant to be anything wonderful or side splittingly hilarious.
Jesus

The problem is that on any forum you can't tell the age of the person who is posting. Don't worry though, tomorrow is a school day and I would think he will be in bed before long.

He questions the current divide between the two clubs, because, if anything, Woolwich have shifted more towards 'our side' of the spectrum since they have played some good football under Arsene Wenger. So, with the reply 'stand up if you hate Woolwich' chant, it seems like those two aren't in the mood for 'hating' anymore between the fault line between the two clubs haas diminished.

At least that's what I took from the extract.

I do partly agree with what is being said, because my hatred for Chelsea runs far deeper than the ones from down the Seven Sisters. There a much bigger 'fault line' between us and Chelsea then there is between us and Woolwich now, IMO.

He questions the current divide between the two clubs, because, if anything, Woolwich have shifted more towards 'our side' of the spectrum since they have played some good football under Arsene Wenger. So, with the reply 'stand up if you hate Woolwich' chant, it seems like those two aren't in the mood for 'hating' anymore between the fault line between the two clubs haas diminished.

At least that's what I took from the extract.

I do partly agree with what is being said, because my hatred for Chelsea runs far deeper than the ones from down the Seven Sisters. There a much bigger 'fault line' between us and Chelsea then there is between us and Woolwich now, IMO.

I place the 'fault line' between us and the scum as one similar in size to the 'fault line' between Chelsea and all that is decent about humanity. Either way, these 'fault lines' are more gaping chasms capable of engulfing a small solar system. I give thanks for their theoreticalness!

Back
Top Bottom