Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever the offside rule is, it's not as "clear as day". It appears to be open to massive interpretation over the word 'active'
The rule very clearly says if you're fouled when you're running towards the ball then it's a penalty, even if you were in an offside position. Youre only offside if you actually get there.

Honestly I'm starting to think you're winding me up

IMG-0310.jpg

And it appears to boil down to whether Kane was 'active' as soon as Eriksen played the ball. In my view he was.

Let's just agree to disagree - nobody could be happier than me that we were awarded a penalty and scored.

Anyway on to Dortmund.

And thats what I thought until I was proven wrong. If fouled whilst attempting to go for the ball in an offside position then the foul stands.

Whatever the offside rule is, it's not as "clear as day". It appears to be open to massive interpretation over the word 'active'

I think agreeing to disagree is the best course of action?` We somehow managed to get a valuable point.

The offside rule itself is not as clear as day the ruling regarding this incident is as clear as day.

The rule very clearly says if you're fouled when you're running towards the ball then it's a penalty, even if you were in an offside position. Youre only offside if you actually get there.

Honestly I'm starting to think you're winding me up

IMG-0310.jpg
Not a wind-up.

You haven't pasted the first part of Law 11:

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

interfering with an opponent by:

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

challenging an opponent for the ball or

clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Surely he was active by challenging for the ball? There is no mention of "taking a swing" (or have you added this?). If the balls in the air how do you "take a swing". It only mentions "close"

A few opinions on the game -eriksen is turning into Ozil
If the linesman correctly flagged for Kane’s pen it would have been interesting if Taylor had correctly interpreted the rules I doubt he would have
There pen was never a pen
How fucking shite were the gooners winning 1-0 away in a NLD and not a peep
Sissoko man of the match cos he was our midfield no one else there wanyama a shadow of his former self

Last edited:
Well I've read most of the papers and they unanimously decide he's offside.

It centres on whether he's active through attempting to play the ball. He was. You can't "swing for the ball" if it 3m above your head. Running towards it makes you active (not just Kane, but about 3 other Spurs players)

They're also saying that if VAR was present they would have awarded an offside decision.

So, I'm changing my mind back to what I originally thought - Kane was offside, and we were very lucky.
I always thought this but do you rememebr the Wimmer own goal a couple of years back, he headed the ball as a player behind him (offside) was going for it - goal given.

What does this mean. If you're running towards a cross 3m in the air, surely you're playing the ball?
No, playing the ball means kicking it, heading it, chesting it etc.

Take Erkisen's free kick. Offside is judged when the ball is played, right? We all know that and use that term. What does that mean though, when he starts his run up or when he actually kicks it? Everyone knows it's the latter, when he actually kicks it, but you're advocating for it being when he starts his run up.

Plays the ball means touches it.

Back
Top Bottom