Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But luckily you are not Poch nor his view is mostly flawed like yours

I'm not sure what the stats show but it seems to me that when he starts he often goes missing while when he comes off the bench he has a big impact. I think because he is young his inconstancy will improve in time, but right now he has to compete with other squad players for a starting place.

His finish against Saints was surgical, didn't seem the least bothered about the angle of space rapidly disappearing as he made his final touch away from the defender.

His finish against Saints was surgical, didn't seem the least bothered about the angle of space rapidly disappearing as he made his final touch away from the defender.
This is what goal scorers do and Son is a goal scorer. Would N'koudou, Sissoko and others score from a similar position. Well they should be practising in training as missing chances is what has held us back this season.

Monaco springs to mind straight away, I'm not sure if the challenge with Cech technically counts as a 1 on 1?
There has been a few this season but His good points far out weigh the bad and any how I don't want to be a pessimistic old cunt, New Years resolution and all........:sonpoint:

Was nice to see him beat the keeper at last......:sonlol:
Sonny is our third highest EPL scorer this season (6), only Kane (10) and Dele (8) are above him. Both have played more than Son too, with Kane having played 1,182 minutes and Dele 1,364 minutes. Son has played 968 minutes. This means Son scores every 161 minutes while Kane scores every 118 minutes and Dele every 171 minutes. Consider in the fact that Kane is a striker and Son a winger and it is a very impressive stat.

This is also how Son compares to other wingers in the league:
Hazard
Goals: 9
Minutes: 1521
GPM: 169

Willian
Goals: 5
Minutes: 905
GPM: 181

Chadli
Minutes: 915
GPM: 183

Mane
Goals: 8
Minutes: 1564
GPM: 196

Sterling
Minutes: 1393
GPM: 279

So basically Son>all

Sonny is our third highest EPL scorer this season (6), only Kane (10) and Dele (8) are above him. Both have played more than Son too, with Kane having played 1,182 minutes and Dele 1,364 minutes. Son has played 968 minutes. This means Son scores every 161 minutes while Kane scores every 118 minutes and Dele every 171 minutes. Consider in the fact that Kane is a striker and Son a winger and it is a very impressive stat.

Hazard

Willian

Chadli

Mane

Sterling

So basically Son>all
The problem is that when things do go his way in a match (like against Watford), he seems to be very ineffective and it's almost like playing with 10 men.

It also seems to be a bit of a lottery as to whether he'll be good/bad in a match - so he'd be a risk against Chelsea (though that's a moot point as Sissoko will almost certainly be starting instead).

Monaco springs to mind straight away, I'm not sure if the challenge with Cech technically counts as a 1 on 1?
There has been a few this season but His good points far out weigh the bad and any how I don't want to be a pessimistic old cunt, New Years resolution and all........:sonpoint:

I ll let you in on Son on afew bc I probably been watching him much loger
1. he seems like a really good lad
2. beneath the happy face he is a survivor so he is bound to show you many more finishes
3. just keep playing him and feed the ball

and for the Cech play? Neymar would have jumped higer while player like Dele would have tried to knee the old bag. Happy New Year to you too

Hazard

Willian

Chadli

Mane

Sterling

So basically Son>all

I think you have misread my post, or I want so clear, I meant it is nice he finally scores a 1 on 1 with a keeper specially after Monaco, I will also say the same when Kane scores his next Pen, it's nothing personal, I'm aware Sons goals have saved us this season when harry was injured and aware of the contribution he makes to the team.

The problem is that when things do go his way in a match (like against Watford), he seems to be very ineffective and it's almost like playing with 10 men.

Son played good part/decoys in Kane and Allis goals. But ended up no goals for himself for the game. So I guess things went his way but didn't go his way but went his way. Is that what you were trying to to s say?

I think you have misread my post, or I want so clear, I meant it is nice he finally scores a 1 on 1 with a keeper specially after Monaco, I will also say the same when Kane scores his next Pen, it's nothing personal, I'm aware Sons goals have saved us this season when harry was injured and aware of the contribution he makes to the team.
Oh I see I misunderstood. Either way, point still stands to those that hate on him seeing his Goals to minutes ratio is better than Eden 'POTY' Hazard.

Son for me:

PROS
- has a great array of shots / can score from anywhere
- has good movement off the ball
- has good vision
- has good work ethic
- quick

CONS
- average passing accuracy
- too loose in possession / gets caught in possession
- prone to off games
- too greedy
- VERY light in the tackle

I think there's a decent player there but he frustrates. At the moment he has a horrible habit of trying to play with a level of intricacy that is let down by his touch and accuracy.

Given that he has it in him to smash the ball in on a half volley from pretty much any angle I'd be shocked if he can't sort out his passing game... but it needs sorting.

He needs to be more intelligent about when to play others in and when to shoot as well... he has never had good assist numbers, even in Germany.

All in all I think he could be a very good player for us but he needs to sharpen up pretty much everything a touch. We can get away with it against Watford but his sort of mistakes against Chelsea will cause more work for the team and that ultimately leads to goals against.

Someone just needs to take him aside and whisper "Listen, Son, an assist is as good as a goal around here." gently into his ear.

If that doesn't work then, I'm sorry, it has to be the whip.

Hazard

Willian

Chadli

Mane

Sterling

So basically Son>all

Impressive stats but the reality is there is more to playing football than scoring goals yourself. This stat may forgive him missing chances he should score for instance, but does he create enough for other players?

He is dispossessed way too often, which I see as his greatest failing as it can have high consequences for the team. And he often makes stray passes. He also bottles some challenges. In particular he seems more effective off the bench and has worse games when he starts.

I like Son a lot but he needs to improve these weaknesses. Of course, he is young and talented, we should be patient with him. I would not start him against the likes of Chelsea until he improves.

Hazard

Willian

Chadli

Mane

Sterling

So basically Son>all

Thank fuck for some common sense at last

Think people are being harsh on Son. Yes he was wasteful but he was very lively.

I'd be more concerned if he was invisible, but he found himself dangerous areas and on a better days bags home at least 2 goals.

He definitely needs to work on his first touch, his passing and the judgement when to pass or not to pass.

But he has guts, he makes runs that disturbs the oppositions defence and he scores some goals.

Think people are being harsh on Son. Yes he was wasteful but he was very lively.

I'd be more concerned if he was invisible, but he found himself dangerous areas and on a better days bags home at least 2 goals.
One of the goals came from him being dispossessed, we are one of the best counter-pressing teams in Europe. People need to look past the initial phase and also see what happens in 2nd phase, we win the ball back quickly and high up the pitch. We can't do this without the runs of our front 4. Son allways runs at the deffence, always looking to take on the oppo. Always turns the diffence, always asking questions of the oppo defense. It really, really ain't a massive issue. Dele loses the ball just as much but seams to escape the same criticism, odd.

Back
Top Bottom