January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But how is that in comparison to other players in that same position?

Not saying that I think Barkley is decent, but it's very easy to rubbish or praise players in isolation. It's only when you compare them to the competition that you can judge how impressive that contribution is.

Dele Alli has 8 goals 1 assist in 18 PL appearances which is 16 goals(!!!) 2 assists in 36 PL games and Alli is Barkley's direct competition you'd assume.

Christian Eriksen has 5 goals and 5 assists in 18 PL appearances which is 10 and 10 in 36 games.

Son has has scored 6 goals and 3 assists in 16 PL appearances which is 14.25 goals and 6.75 assists in 36 games.

Lamela, Sissoko and NKoudou haven't played enough PL games to really get meaningful stats from them.

If we are seriously looking to kick on as a club we should be looking at Nordtveit, Ayew, Feghouli, Tore and Zaza
when-your-mom-says-yaass--full.jpg

Dele Alli has 8 goals 1 assist in 18 PL appearances which is 16 goals(!!!) 2 assists in 36 PL games and Alli is Barkley's direct competition you'd assume.

Christian Eriksen has 5 goals and 5 assists in 18 PL appearances which is 10 and 10 in 36 games.

Son has has scored 6 goals and 3 assists in 16 PL appearances which is 14.25 goals and 6.75 assists in 36 games.

Lamela, Sissoko and NKoudou haven't played enough PL games to really get meaningful stats from them.
An easier way would be doing them per 90, whoscored will let you filter them that way, and it's how teams do it to make the data more easily comparable. Doing that doesn't help Barkley's case, though...

I'm starting to like this Levy guy... he's got his head screwed on, and might, just might actually have the clubs' best interests at heart... IMAGINE THAT?
:levylol::eriksenlol::vert::walker-scream::dembelelol::allitongue::pochshock::kaneshh:

For some reason it's a blocked website at work :pochsulk:
Mine too. On my phone, it makes digging around a bit harder. But, hell, I don't feel like working today for some reason.

So, I will limit this to PL midfielders in the interests of time, and my data plan, and am only going to compare him to guys who've got at least 700 minutes of playing time this year (so Lamela and Nolito both are not included, among others).

On a per90 basis, this is the list (and I end each time at Barkley's point on that list):
Shots per 90:
Phillipe Coutinho 4.6
Christian Eriksen 4.3
Son Heung-Min 3.3
Michail Antonio 3.3
Roberto Firmino 3.3
Kevin De Bruyne 3.3
Paul Pogba 3.3
Dimitri Payet 3.3
Gylfi Sigurdsson 3.2
Theo Walcott 3.2
Dele Alli 3.2
Willian 2.9
Andros Townsend 2.9
Ross Barkley 2.8

Goals per 90:
Son Heung-Min 0.7
Theo Walcott 0.5
Dele Alli 0.5
Leroy Fer 0.5
Eden Hazard 0.5
Willian 0.5
Adam Lallana 0.5
Michail Antonio 0.5
Philippe Coutinho 0.5
Pedro 0.4
Robert Snodgrass 0.4
Roberto Firmino 0.4
Juan Mata 0.4
Nacer Chadli 0.4
James Morrison 0.4
Marcus Rashford 0.4 (?)
Joe Allen 0.4
Junior Stanislas 0.3
Mesut Ozil 0.3
Emre Can 0.3
Xherdan Shaqiri 0.3
Christian Eriksen 0.3
Joshua King 0.3
Paul Pogba 0.3
Etienne Capoue 0.3
Raheem Sterling 0.3
Alex Oxlade Chamberlin 0.3
Manuel Lanzini 0.2
Victor Moses 0.2
Matt ¨Phillips 0.2
Alex Iwobi 0.2
Ross Barkley 0.2

Assists per 90:
Kevin De Bruyne 0.6
Wayne Rooney 0.6
Pedro 0.5
Alex Oxlade Chamberlin 0.5
Adam Lallana 0.5
Philippe Coutinho 0.5
Matt Phillips 0.5
Junior Stanislas 0.4
Yannick Bolasie 0.4
Wilfried Zaha 0.4
Dimitri Payet 0.4
Steven Defour 0.4
Ander Herrera 0.4
Nemanja Matic 0.3
Alex Iwobi 0.3
Gylfi Sigurdsson 0.3
Christian Eriksen 0.3
Nordin Amrabat 0.3
Raheem Sterling 0.3
David Silva 0.3
Son Heung-Min 0.2
Jason Puncheon 0.2
Gaston Ramirez 0.2
Sadio Mane 0.2
Jordan Henderson 0.2
Mesut Ozil 0.2
Juan Mata 0.2
Nacer Chadli 0.2
Paul Pogba 0.2
Duncan Watmore 0.2
Roberto Pereyra 0.2
Stewart Downing 0.2
Marko Arnautovic 0.2
Modou Barrow 0.2 (Who the fuck is he?)
Marcos Alonso 0.1
Steven Davis 0.1
Joe Allen 0.1
Theo Walcott 0.1
Ross Barkley 0.1

I think the evidence is fairly clear that Ross Barkley is not the sort of guy we should be trying to sign.

Mine too. On my phone, it makes digging around a bit harder. But, hell, I don't feel like working today for some reason.

So, I will limit this to PL midfielders in the interests of time, and my data plan, and am only going to compare him to guys who've got at least 700 minutes of playing time this year (so Lamela and Nolito both are not included, among others).

On a per90 basis, this is the list (and I end each time at Barkley's point on that list):
Shots per 90:
Phillipe Coutinho 4.6
Christian Eriksen 4.3
Son Heung-Min 3.3
Michail Antonio 3.3
Roberto Firmino 3.3
Kevin De Bruyne 3.3
Paul Pogba 3.3
Dimitri Payet 3.3
Gylfi Sigurdsson 3.2
Theo Walcott 3.2
Dele Alli 3.2
Willian 2.9
Andros Townsend 2.9
Ross Barkley 2.8

Goals per 90:
Son Heung-Min 0.7
Theo Walcott 0.5
Dele Alli 0.5
Leroy Fer 0.5
Eden Hazard 0.5
Willian 0.5
Adam Lallana 0.5
Michail Antonio 0.5
Philippe Coutinho 0.5
Pedro 0.4
Robert Snodgrass 0.4
Roberto Firmino 0.4
Juan Mata 0.4
Nacer Chadli 0.4
James Morrison 0.4
Marcus Rashford 0.4 (?)
Joe Allen 0.4
Junior Stanislas 0.3
Mesut Ozil 0.3
Emre Can 0.3
Xherdan Shaqiri 0.3
Christian Eriksen 0.3
Joshua King 0.3
Paul Pogba 0.3
Etienne Capoue 0.3
Raheem Sterling 0.3
Alex Oxlade Chamberlin 0.3
Manuel Lanzini 0.2
Victor Moses 0.2
Matt ¨Phillips 0.2
Alex Iwobi 0.2
Ross Barkley 0.2

Assists per 90:
Kevin De Bruyne 0.6
Wayne Rooney 0.6
Pedro 0.5
Alex Oxlade Chamberlin 0.5
Adam Lallana 0.5
Philippe Coutinho 0.5
Matt Phillips 0.5
Junior Stanislas 0.4
Yannick Bolasie 0.4
Wilfried Zaha 0.4
Dimitri Payet 0.4
Steven Defour 0.4
Ander Herrera 0.4
Nemanja Matic 0.3
Alex Iwobi 0.3
Gylfi Sigurdsson 0.3
Christian Eriksen 0.3
Nordin Amrabat 0.3
Raheem Sterling 0.3
David Silva 0.3
Son Heung-Min 0.2
Jason Puncheon 0.2
Gaston Ramirez 0.2
Sadio Mane 0.2
Jordan Henderson 0.2
Mesut Ozil 0.2
Juan Mata 0.2
Nacer Chadli 0.2
Paul Pogba 0.2
Duncan Watmore 0.2
Roberto Pereyra 0.2
Stewart Downing 0.2
Marko Arnautovic 0.2
Modou Barrow 0.2 (Who the fuck is he?)
Marcos Alonso 0.1
Steven Davis 0.1
Joe Allen 0.1
Theo Walcott 0.1
Ross Barkley 0.1

I think the evidence is fairly clear that Ross Barkley is not the sort of guy we should be trying to sign.
Unless Poch sees something in him and believes he can get more out of him than Everton are.

Not saying we should buy him but stats ignore the most important detail....the team the individual is playing in.

The only thing that puts me off Barkley is it appears as though he doesn't have much between the ears. Ability wise I'd take him all day long.

Unless Poch sees something in him and believes he can get more out of him than Everton are.

Not saying we should buy him but stats ignore the most important detail....the team the individual is playing in.

The only thing that puts me off Barkley is it appears as though he doesn't have much between the ears. Ability wise I'd take him all day long.
Context matters, but there is also a wider context. It's not just about if we can get more out of him than Everton, it's if we can get more out of him than Everton versus getting more out of someone else from another team. I think we likely could improve Barkley. I also think that we could find someone just as improvable, or more, for a hell of a lot less.

I'm starting to like this Levy guy... he's got his head screwed on, and might, just might actually have the clubs' best interests at heart... IMAGINE THAT?
:levylol::eriksenlol::vert::walker-scream::dembelelol::allitongue::pochshock::kaneshh:

Nah, he's blatantly just making us a better team so the club is worth more so he can just sell us for wikkid profitz yo! Those pesky Investors always try and make things worth more...Totally in it for themselves.
:levyeyes:

Last edited:
Nah, he's blatantly just making us a better team so the club is worth more so he can just sell us for wikkid profitz yo! Those pesky Investors always try and make things with more...Totally in it for themselves.
:levyeyes:
There's a lot of truth in there.
Why would investors bother if they weren't going to make their investment grow (unless of course you happen to be Coventry City)?

So he has every reason to make us a better, more valuable club/ team innit. And to be fair to the bald, beady eyed one, he isn't doing a bad job of it right now. Credit where it's due.

Context matters, but there is also a wider context. It's not just about if we can get more out of him than Everton, it's if we can get more out of him than Everton versus getting more out of someone else from another team. I think we likely could improve Barkley. I also think that we could find someone just as improvable, or more, for a hell of a lot less.
Yes that's obviously something that has to be weighed up in every transfer.

Who do u suggest?

Back
Top Bottom