January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Luke Shaw is an absolute dick for joining them , he's lost so much of his career there and I don't just mean the injured part , thought he could of been a huge player.

Is what it is, Shaw was the best left back in the Prem under Poch, that was at the same time as Rose was have stinker after stinker for us under AVB. I don't know what magic Poch does to full backs but it works.

To see United under Mourinho making the likes of Martial and Shaw look crap shows that while he is good at tactics his man management can be really odd.

Is what it is, Shaw was the best left back in the Prem under Poch, that was at the same time as Rose was have stinker after stinker for us under AVB. I don't know what magic Poch does to full backs but it works.

To see United under Mourinho making the likes of Martial and Shaw look crap shows that while he is good at tactics his man management can be really odd.

He likes his generals but has an appalling record with young players , Thought Shaw would develop like Bale and naturally move further up the pitch now he doesn't develop at all its a real travesty.

He likes his generals but has an appalling record with young players , Thought Shaw would develop like Bale and naturally move further up the pitch now he doesn't develop at all its a real travesty.

It's really strange, prior to his injury he was United's best player for several months under LVG (although most United players were playing shit to be fair) and was really hitting his stride putting in top performances, good at defending, classy on the ball and quick in attack like Rose is for us and now it's like he doesn't exist. Mourinho can really kill a player.

It's really strange, prior to his injury he was United's best player for several months under LVG (although most United players were playing shit to be fair) and was really hitting his stride putting in top performances, good at defending, classy on the ball and quick in attack like Rose is for us and now it's like he doesn't exist. Mourinho can really kill a player.

Maybe he hasn't recovered from his horrific injury which could have easily ended his career?

Yep , I also thought Fonsu Mensa looked an excellent prospect when LVG gave him a few chances but Mourinho hasn't played him at all , I just think if a manager was brave and gave these guys a bit more responsibility and belief he'd end up with some very accomplished players in the future , Mourinho will just strangle their confidence and they'll end up having unspectacular careers.

If they're (naively) backing Mourinho to forge the squad in his image to take the club forward, they'd listen to offers for players he doesn't want; they're hardly desperate for cash, but a probable failure to quality for the CL again this season could persuade them to dispose of valuable players on the periphery of Jose's plans, ala Martial.

With Martial, they've only actually paid £38.5m so far as non of the add-on clause criteria have been activated yet; the loss they'd take on, say, a £30m bid would be neutralised by avoiding one of those potential additional payments becoming obligatory. As a player, either as a partner for Kane in a 3-5-2 or inverting out wide left in a 4-2-3-1, he could become a star under a proper coach like Pocchettino.

Side note on Luke Shaw: he's really struggled with home sickness since coming to Manchester, but Mourinho's bullying of him, especially after a year out with a traumatic injury, has apparently left him clinically depressed.

Rashford is the one we should be gunning for.

I'd love Rashford not in a million years tho.

I doubt they'll sell anyone useful to us to be honest, but if they're insistent on only selling abroad; a young, still relatively unproven English lad will be much harder to punt abroad for prime £££ than say the likes or Martial, Memphis or Di Maria before them.

Key could be turning his head (Poch, CL blah)... Fuck Utd, they've done it plenty enough to us and by the end of this season things could look different for young Marcus (Zlatan likely getting another year, Griezman coming in as well as a few other Mouriniho 'finished-article' signings). If he's not getting significant game time by the end of the season we should pursue him hard... Even if he did cost a fair whack, he'd still represent a low risk IMO.

Edit: This is the step fwd in the transfer market we should be taking if we are to continue our trajectory... Higher-grade raw-materials for Poch to develope/improve... When you look at the time, effort and cost of iffy 'development' sigings like N'Jie, GKN and yes Sissoko(!)... Then we could be spending our money much smarter...

Not a Barclay fan, but for the combined cost of the three above we coulda prized the likes of him or even Lukaku away from a reluctant Everton for example....

Last edited:
Yep , I also thought Fonsu Mensa looked an excellent prospect when LVG gave him a few chances but Mourinho hasn't played him at all , I just think if a manager was brave and gave these guys a bit more responsibility and belief he'd end up with some very accomplished players in the future , Mourinho will just strangle their confidence and they'll end up having unspectacular careers.
That's the thing though with Mourinho, he doesn't care about the future. He attempts to get the maximum out of his team in 2/3 years and then fooks off to another club.

The news you all want to hear...

Tottenham will revive their interest in Wilfried Zaha, with Mauricio Pochettino readying a late January bid for the winger, according The Sun on Sunday.

The Spurs boss has been keeping tabs on the Crystal Palace winger, who has recently returned to Selhurst Park following his exploits with Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Sun claim Zaha will be the subject of a £25m bid from Spurs, who are looking to bolster their title challenge before Deadline Day.

Back
Top Bottom