Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From what I've read from Dortmund fans, this is what Son is like and has always been like. Goes through form like a sine wave, crap for 7 games, good for 7 games...rinse, repeat.

I don't dislike Son at all, but he just reminds me of a Harry Redknapp signing - great when he's on form, but inconsistent with form.

Korean Chadli
:chadliwtf:

He's much better than Chadli, but I totally agree about him being inconstant. He will have a drop in form and this thread will be all "Son is shit, get rid" etc.

The reality is that he is a very talented player. A young player. He will improve with the right training, both in ability and consistency. He will have more drops in form yet though.

I can't help but think that those who see Son as an invaluable player who should be in our first eleven are people who only watches highlights.

Yesterday he did in fact offer more than another selfish outlet, he did involve himself defensively as well as offensively, and actually did deliver a good cross that could've been an assist and some decent teamplay. But in most of our games he's been running around seemingly unaware of the offside rule and of his team mates presence.

If he'd learned how to look for and pass to team mates he could've been a truly top world class player, but he's mostly just a flashy, technical speed merchant with good finishing. The description may sound awesome, but doesn't fit all that well in a Pochettino Team.

Most people are acknowledging that he his frustrating and wasteful, but are saying they will take that because he is also winning us games and creating havoc up front for us.

He doesnt fit well with a Poch team, yet Poch signed him and continues to pick him.

As for the highlights comment, Id say 99% of the people posting here have seen every game in its entirety

If he'd learned how to look for and pass to team mates he could've been a truly top world class player, but he's mostly just a flashy, technical speed merchant with good finishing.

This makes no sense. His lack of a decisive pass takes him from world class to basically Andros Townsend? Ridiculous.

He's much better than Chadli, but I totally agree about him being inconstant. He will have a drop in form and this thread will be all "Son is shit, get rid" etc.

The reality is that he is a very talented player. A young player. He will improve with the right training, both in ability and consistency. He will have more drops in form yet though.

It's the brainless part of him that I worry about - it's like something I've seen us fail to advance players with.

Like against Sunderland, he kept pratting about instead of playing logical passes or keeping to tactics. It's that sort of arrogance I guess that I worry about.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Heung-Min Son (Tottenham)

Spurs were frustrated for a long time but kept going and nobody embodied that more than Son. Having set up the best chance of first half for Kane to squander, he persevered and was eventually rewarded when he won the penalty. He looked Tottenham’s most dangerous player throughout and ended up being the difference-maker not for the first time this season.

Tottenham keep title dream alive with Middlesbrough win

MAN OF THE MATCH - Heung-Min Son (Tottenham)

Spurs were frustrated for a long time but kept going and nobody embodied that more than Son. Having set up the best chance of first half for Kane to squander, he persevered and was eventually rewarded when he won the penalty. He looked Tottenham’s most dangerous player throughout and ended up being the difference-maker not for the first time this season.

Tottenham keep title dream alive with Middlesbrough win

Son squandered the best chance of that first half, not Kane. Otherwise I agree with that assessment. Very good performance on the back of very poor one away at Sunderland.

Son can be wasteful but the point is he keeps going.
Other player might take a shot, hit it in the stands, and just want to pass the ball sideways for the rest of the match.
Tenacity and a refusal to be embarrassed. The qualities of a great Pick Up Artist aswell, I'm told!

what? lol
What are u confused about? He's exciting and frustrating in equal measure. Was again yesterday.

Caused them a lot of problems but also had 4 or 5 moments where he completely wasted good attacking opportunities.

His decision making is the different between him being a decent play and a top class one. Has all the ability required.

If Son's decision-making skill was so good and he scores all the time, he'd be playing for Real Madrid.
Calm yourselves and imagine how yesterday's match would've been played without him. Or the matches against Wycombe, Stoke, Middlesbrough (in September), Man City, CSKA Moscow, West Ham, and more.
Obviously, he has been an essential part of this season's run.

I'm assuming a few people missed moments like when he could have crossed, but chose to smash in into row Z, with the direction that meant it was closer to the corner flag than the goal.

As an observer, I'd be interested to see how his team play compares to his goal scoring. He's showing a lot of the bad attributes that Townsend had, but is perhaps getting plaudits for the selfish play that makes a player appear to be performing better as an individual, as opposed to as a part of a team.

I guess a better question is- have we won or lost points with him at a needed clip to achieve our objectives?
I can't really think of a time this season he cost us a whole 3 points except maybe our first match against chelsea when he (kind of) failed to track back on Moses. Even then, I guess you could say it was only 1 point lost since a draw would have been an excellent result otherwise.
How many times then has he won us points with a leveling or go-ahead strike or penalty won? Many, many times this season- has to be at least 10 points worth. I think he is definitely good enough for us.

Getting dropped too often I think is causing him to overplay sometimes- I think if he felt more secure with his starting XI place he would play with a bit more composure and selflessness.
I'm hoping he can do just that and continue to be a big part of our success as we look towards the run-in.

I'm assuming a few people missed moments like when he could have crossed, but chose to smash in into row Z, with the direction that meant it was closer to the corner flag than the goal.

As an observer, I'd be interested to see how his team play compares to his goal scoring. He's showing a lot of the bad attributes that Townsend had, but is perhaps getting plaudits for the selfish play that makes a player appear to be performing better as an individual, as opposed to as a part of a team.

That is an interesting point. I also would be interested to see such comparison.
Son is not normally a playmaker. Lately he has been pretty selfish in the box or during counter-attacks. That being said, his left crosses along with one-two passes have been improving.

I guess a better question is- have we won or lost points with him at a needed clip to achieve our objectives?
I can't really think of a time this season he cost us a whole 3 points except maybe our first match against chelsea when he (kind of) failed to track back on Moses. Even then, I guess you could say it was only 1 point lost since a draw would have been an excellent result otherwise.
How many times then has he won us points with a leveling or go-ahead strike or penalty won? Many, many times this season- has to be at least 10 points worth. I think he is definitely good enough for us.

Getting dropped too often I think is causing him to overplay sometimes- I think if he felt more secure with his starting XI place he would play with a bit more composure and selflessness.
I'm hoping he can do just that and continue to be a big part of our success as we look towards the run-in.
Some good points there. Agree with most of it. Not sure ur logic on the points he's won/lost us is all that sound though.

As an attacker in his position it'd be fairer to compare games he's scored/assisted in and we've won vs those he's wasted chances and we've lost/drawn.

(Not saying he wouldn't come out on top in that comparison. Just think it'd be a more relevant measure)

It's the brainless part of him that I worry about - it's like something I've seen us fail to advance players with.

Like against Sunderland, he kept pratting about instead of playing logical passes or keeping to tactics. It's that sort of arrogance I guess that I worry about.

Not so much arrogance but immaturity and/or over enthusiasm

I didn't rate him a while ago but he's definitely got something and defenders must get fed up of him constantly coming at them because he just doesn't let up!

Next season he could be amazing

Some good points there. Agree with most of it. Not sure ur logic on the points he's won/lost us is all that sound though.

As an attacker in his position it'd be fairer to compare games he's scored/assisted in and we've won vs those he's wasted chances and we've lost/drawn.

(Not saying he wouldn't come out on top in that comparison. Just think it'd be a more relevant measure)

Fair enough- I agree my methods of assessment are incomplete, but I'm fairly certain that even by your standards we would find he positively contributed more than not. Plus, as we are accomplishing our season objectives presently, I think we would have to say he has contributed on a high enough level to not be considered to be detracting from our overall play. It's possible we could get another player who would play better than him in his position, but we haven't done so, and it would be difficult to do so. I'd rather we not even think about selling him at all unless we've already signed a more capable replacement.

Back
Top Bottom