Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love poch but this one was all on him for me.
Our team with rose, vertonghen and even lamela is one that can realistically go toe to toe with Liverpool and play them at their own game. However today we were without them, so he should have been a bit cannier. It would have been totally acceptable to go there and play defensively. Keep it tight. Look to at least leave with a draw so that we keep the same distance from one of our rivals. Maybe even nick a goal on the counter. This has been exactly how they've struggled in recent games. Instead we go there with half our first choice back four missing, eriksen and son in front who are never the sort of players to win physical battles (which we should have expected) and we play right into their hands.

Yes there were some poor individual errors/displays. But in this case I feel that was just a symptom of them not having the right shape or personnel to deal with Liverpool.

I'm all for the glory of the game but titles are often won by being smart. 0-0 at a field would have been totally acceptable for me.

Anyway onwards and upwards. On the positive side, its early feb and we just played our last game this season away at a top 6 rival and we only have to play two more of them at home. Confident we'll finish 4th

I knew it would be a very tough match. Posters scribe as though Liverpool have no pride, forgetting they have lost to teams who deny them space and where the pressure is all on them.

We needed strength of mind and clarity of objective and we had neither. We needed calm and we needed to be robust. We also needed a manager to know which players were needed for this game.

To have an ageing midfielder perform so comfortably against the striker some on here think is the league's best should amplify how far we still have to go.

Pochettino can lambast or excuse this display (to say performance would be wrong) but worse would be his failure to see we lack pace up top, a star turn and composure in the biggest games, which is down to experience.

A poor day at the office? I would suggest we were working from home.

They beat our press often. They skipped past many challenges in midfield.
Dembele and Wanyama pretty much failed to break up any of their play in the first 20 minutes.
Sure, things stabilized somewhat in the second half, but it was enough that we were down 2-0 by that point, so, have to say it was a failure overall.

Tight contests against quality opposition often come down to discipline and focus over a full 90', and we were soundly overcome in that department today even if we did alright 'for the most part'.
Tactically they got it right coming inside Davies with pace. They got lucky got thire goals and then disrupted the game for an hour. Times they bulled us a little and we didn't fancy it tonight. Nights like tonight, there is nothing you can do than just hope. Need to move on quickly.
Poch should take the blame, he's had a week to get the team ready for this match, he knew what players would be missing, he must have know Liverpool would be coming at us like a train in the first 20 mins or so, so why not sit back and soak it up, its not hard to work it out
Maybe he did and the players got it horribly wrong, collectively they are all to blame.

Last edited:
Lol the people voting disagree and funny.

Sure you'll be laughing if we finish 6th. Cunts.
I agree. Out of the top 6, we probably have the weakest squad. Chelsea will win it. City are nailed on. United are improving, and ENIC have shown they're incapable of ever finishing above our hated rivals. It's gonna be a tall order.

I genuinely thought with Poch we'd seen the last of these spineless gutless "spursy" performances of years gone by. How wrong I was. And how fucking shit do I feel tonight for allowing my hopes to be raised in the first place

Haven't you been following football long enough to know that you don't win every game??

Didn't you realise every club has bad days??

Get a grip

Last edited:
I stand by my pre match confidence. Play to your strengths.

Our strengths are going at teams.....we had one shot on target against a team with Lucas at CB. Didnt expose their weaknesses one bit, but were very quick to let them exploit ours.....by fucking around at the back, when we had acres of space and time on the ball in a nothing area. To slow to get the ball down and go forward other than silly long punts to no one.

It doesnt work for us, and no idea why we do it. Been saying it all week mate to be fair. It was City all over again, but Liverpool were never letting this one go.

Normally we can play like that even against United or Woolwich and fuck around at the back and get away with it because they don't press so hard what Liverpool do is go full throttle at the backline with their forwards, their midfield and defence press up behind their strikers and give no space to pass around, this covers their defensive weaknesses and enables the likes of Mane to have a go at us.

Luckily there is only one Liverpool, we won't have to deal with that style again unless we meet a German team in Europe. The best way to counter that style is to play like Redknapp used to against big teams, sit deepish, tight and compact, hit hard on the break with fast wingers and midfield runners.

For that we need new Bale's and new Lennon's. It's a shame we didn't get Mane or Osumane Dembele or someone like that with real skill, pace and a good brain as that is the type of player you need for that style.

Not sure if it is Poch not wanting to change or more simply that we lack players able to play counter attacking football, we do have Nkouduo but he hasn't shown the final product yet. I feel Liverpool will be an issue for us for a while.

I know I harp on about Winks but he improved us when he can on with his mobility and class on the ball.

Evening all, long time reader, first-time poster.

Obviously, today's game was massively depressing to watch we lacked any urgency and it looked like the players just couldn't be asked. We made Liverpool look a lot better than they are. Personally, I would have gone for 5 at the back to give Davies some help with Mane and Clyne and then brought Son on later on as an impact sub.

I've been reading a lot today (mainly on Twitter) about our bench and also our lack of strength in depth...however people seem to forget that we have lost the best keeper in the league, lost the best defence in the league (individually and as a unit), lost the best striker in the league at various points across the season due to injury. We've also been without Dembele because of his suspension and Lamela has also been out for months. All of these injuries meant that the players were missing for several weeks, not just 1 or 2 games. Which other team in the league could take hits like that across the season and still be where we are? Liverpool lost Mane for I think 5 or 7 games, 1 player! Look how much they struggled!

Of course I'd love for Poch to turn around, look at his bench options and bring on a top player, however, unfortunately, we're not 'there yet' there are several clubs in this league that can outbid / out pay us and it will be like that until we are up and running in the new stadium.

I love what our manager has done for us since he took over and I can't wait to see how far he takes us once we are at our new home and we can afford to spend more on transfer fees and wages.

Apologies for the long post.

COYS.

Let's all feel gutted and not get into a Poch bashing session. We got it wrong, had a bad night or had a dodgy pasta meal for lunch. We lost, didn't compete and emotionally I feel empty of any attachment to the game. That wasn't us out there.

Oh poor John had his hopes raised. We lost a game of football, our 3rd in the league. Do you expect to go a season unbeaten?
I expected us to put in a performance in our most important match of the season. Not lie down like a bunch of fucking pussies getting our tits slapped. So yeah, I do feel a tad disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom