MOTD Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Care to explain how it is perfectly reasonable then?
Because what he's saying is that despite our barnstorming form, Chelsea are still winning....which is true. Early season they were picking up points while we had a brief wobble, which explains the gap. He's saying that despite the pressure we are now putting on Chelsea they are still getting the results, which shows that the are also a great side. Well, that's true isn't it?

Sorry, but I don't see what about his comment is upsetting you, especially considering he's one of the most pro Spurs pundits/presenters out there.

There should be something like a "despite" in Lineker's comment I feel, because what he says is factually correct.

We have won the last 6, yet we are still 7 points behind.
Exactly. That's all he's saying, and all I'm saying frankly.

I mean, if anyone's going to argue that Chelsea haven't had a great season then we're back into delusion mode.

Because what he's saying is that despite our barnstorming form, Chelsea are still winning....which is true. Early season they were picking up points while we had a brief wobble, which explains the gap. He's saying that despite the pressure we are now putting on Chelsea they are still getting the results, which shows that the are also a great side. Well, that's true isn't it?

Sorry, but I don't see what about his comment is upsetting you, especially considering he's one of the most pro Spurs pundits/presenters out there.

Just pointing out that what he said was wrong. It was said so they could present the narrative they wanted. Yes, Chelsea are still ahead despite our form, but the gap - which is what he was talking about specifically - isn't the same as it was 6 games ago (It wasn't 7 points back then, it was 10, now it is 7 as of just two games ago). I'm right about that, aren't I?

Just pointing out that what he said was wrong. It was said so they could present the narrative they wanted. Yes, Chelsea are still ahead despite our form, but the gap - which is what he was talking about specifically - isn't the same as it was 6 games ago (It wasn't 7 points back then, it was 10, now it is 7 as of just two games ago). I'm right about that, aren't I?
I think what he's saying is that despite our wins there is a still a notable gap. I think that's all he meant and you're trying to read more into it just to have a whine. But Lineker isn't the right target for complaining IMO.

Last edited:
I think what he's saying is that despite our wins there is a still a notable gap. I think that's all he meant and you're trying to read more into it just to have a whine. But Linekar isn't the right target for complaining IMO.

I don't go looking for an excuse to whine, it was just how it came across to me watching it. I don't dislike Linekar at all, it was more a comment about the BBC and the football media in general but I was quoting someone so put his name there. I think you're being a bit sensitive about him to be honest, I doubt he's going to hear of my comment and get upset.

I used to like Lineker, as he came across as an ex-spur.

It feel like since Leicester have been in the PL, he's taken the opportunity to make digs and distance himself from us as a club, though.

He was ripping the piss last season.

Indeed. Burnt his bridges for me.

JJ is the only one that's not a snake, despite how badly the club and fans treated him for the most part. He's a good lad.

Danny Murphy is a bit schitzo, and can never decide if he hates us or not, Tim is his usual "I laid the foundations" combined with "Never met em before in my life, officer" self, and Harry is generally quite ambivalent towards us.

He was ripping the piss last season.
Such a wasted opportunity. It's understandable that he supports Leicester more than Spurs, but you always got the feeling that he held an affection for us, and rather than go down the "Oh boy, aren't I lucky that two clubs I like/used to play for are leading the pack" he went full fairytale.

Apparently going fairytale lends you unwavering support of Leicester/their tactics and undervaluing Spurs' own overachievements. Real shame. He could have been waxing lyrical about Kane being one of the best English strikers to play for Spurs since... well... him. Or maybe comparing himself and Gazza to Harry and Dele.

Oh well, we are where we are now.

Indeed. Burnt his bridges for me.

JJ is the only one that's not a snake, despite how badly the club and fans treated him for the most part. He's a good lad.

Danny Murphy is a bit schitzo, and can never decide if he hates us or not, Tim is his usual "I laid the foundations" combined with "Never met em before in my life, officer" self, and Harry is generally quite ambivalent towards us.

If you can try to rematch the end of the BT sport coverage of the Chelsea game. Harry Redknapp, Hoddle, Mcmanaman, Jake Humphries discuss us for 20-30 minutes. Harry comes across like he's our biggest fan, Hoddle as well - but he's saying we are still some way short of a title winning squad.

If you can try to rematch the end of the BT sport coverage of the Chelsea game. Harry Redknapp, Hoddle, Mcmanaman, Jake Humphries discuss us for 20-30 minutes. Harry comes across like he's our biggest fan, Hoddle as well - but he's saying we are still some way short of a title winning squad.
Haven't seen the BT coverage you speak of but have to say Redknap has been waxing lyrical about us all season. The only pundit to say Spurs will/can win the league and that was months ago. He has also been highly complimentary about Poch and Levy.

Back
Top Bottom