Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Homesick, he's a grown man.

Not being near family / friends, getting constant grief from the missus (especially when he could be getting vast amounts of ££ more), not wanting his kid growing up in London, just not wanting to live in London himself... There's plenty of possible "homesick" reasons that he might want to move back up there and earn even more fortunes.

For him, why put up with niggles in his life when he doesn't need to. Most of us do it because we at least feel like we have no choice. He has a choice. Unfortunately for us.

I'm not saying I want him to go, I personally can't see how we'd replace him. But I can understand that there would be reasoning behind the move for him. Just not for us.

Not being near family / friends, getting constant grief from the missus (especially when he could be getting vast amounts of ££ more), not wanting his kid growing up in London, just not wanting to live in London himself... There's plenty of possible "homesick" reasons that he might want to move back up there and earn even more fortunes.

For him, why put up with niggles in his life when he doesn't need to. Most of us do it because we at least feel like we have no choice. He has a choice. Unfortunately for us.

I'm not saying I want him to go, I personally can't see how we'd replace him. But I can understand that there would be reasoning behind the move for him. Just not for us.

Homesickness can be a huge cause of depression for some people. Don't take it lightly.
Fair points, but why the fuck would you sign a new 5 year contract 8 months ago.

I haven't posted yet on the Walker stuff. After his initial breakthrough season, I didn't think he would ever quite get there and would have been happy to see him sold for the right fee. The last 2/3 years though he has matured into a very good right back. He is still prone to mistakes but can recover with his athleticism and speed.
I've also had the feeling over the last 2 seasons that he is well involved in the team and squad and as much part of things as anyone else.
When the rumours first started I did think "here we go again" and just lazy journalism but with the number of attention this has got you do start to thunk there is no smoke without fire.
I would love him to stay but if his head has been turned then as long as we get the right deal and Poch and his team can find a suitable replacement either as first choice or back up to Trippier then so be it.
A month ago I was extremely confident that we would not sell anyone unless we wanted to. I would really love Walker to want to stay (whether its money/family or something else) and come out and say so. And also so we can shove 2 fingers up at the media and other 'better funded teams' in the league.

I do get people can get homesick,but...
Sheffield's a couple of hours away,3 at the most ,isn't it?
It may be geographically closer to Manchester, but having done the run across in winter, it's a ball ache if he wanted to live anywhere decent around Manchester during the week. And travelling to/from Sheffield to Manchester for training/matches would be an absolute nightmare.

It really is no easier journey than from London.

Homesickness can be a huge cause of depression for some people. Don't take it lightly.

Fair points, but why the fuck would you sign a new 5 year contract 8 months ago.
I'm on neither side of the fence in this argument, I don't know the man, I just thought some of the comments were being flippant about the idea. But these things can happen overnight. I had no mental health issues for 36 years and then 6 months of intense anxiety and panic came out of nowhere and I HAD to be home and around my family or I very well may be spinning out to this day. Even going to work 5 miles away was one hell of a task. Luckily I got over it in time and here I am today, but we're all wired differently and now I tend not to judge until all the factors are presented.

I'm on neither side of the fence in this argument, I don't know the man, I just thought some of the comments were being flippant about the idea. But these things can happen overnight. I had no mental health issues for 36 years and then 6 months of intense anxiety and panic came out of nowhere and I HAD to be home and around my family or I very well may be spinning out to this day. Even going to work 5 miles away was one hell of a task. Luckily I got over it in time and here I am today, but we're all wired differently and now I tend not to judge until all the factors are presented.
Glad to hear you've overcome the problems you faced. In Walker's case it's my view that if he had severe anxiety issues or depression due to homesickness then he wouldn't have been in a fit state to take to the pitch in front of thousands of people recently. I'm not making light of mental health issues which can be debilitating and serious, but i just don't see that being the problem in this instance. Just my opinion.

m11 a14 a1(m) its two and a half hours in his super car or 45 minutes in a chopper , if he wants to go to City its for the money end of.

Enfield to Sheffield is over 3 hours (160 miles). Probably nearer 4 hours in peak times.

Have you worked 2.5 hours away from home before? It's exhausting even before you get on to anxiety reasons. Imagine if your mum/dad/brother was ill and you knew that you were 3-4 hours away. That's a common trigger for homesickness. It can spiral into psychosomatic reactions, triggered by even the most illogical reasons.

I personally couldn't live in London. I've tried it, it's not for me. I don't particularly enjoy living in the south of england and would be happier back up north, which is a common feeling for the people around me who've been to the area I grew up in (but aren't from there). I don't know why the concept is being dismissed like it's non-existant.

Can't wait til the Aussie Yids like Melspurnian Melspurnian get hold of this tonight "3 hours = a long journey"

Pfff.... those buggers travel further for a pint of milk.

By the way, I work in Sheffield and anyone who thinks Manchester to Sheffield is a doddle hasn't been north of Watford. The War of The Roses is still being played out up here. Yorkshire and Lancashire both stubbornly refuse to make it easy to get from one to the other easily, because "why would you want to go over there?'

Enfield to Sheffield is over 3 hours (160 miles). Probably nearer 4 hours in peak times.

Have you worked 2.5 hours away from home before? It's exhausting even before you get on to anxiety reasons. Imagine if your mum/dad/brother was ill and you knew that you were 3-4 hours away. That's a common trigger for homesickness. It can spiral into psychosomatic reactions, triggered by even the most illogical reasons.

I personally couldn't live in London. I've tried it, it's not for me. I don't particularly enjoy living in the south of england and would be happier back up north, which is a common feeling for the people around me who've been to the area I grew up in (but aren't from there). I don't know why the concept is being dismissed like it's non-existant.
Ah but you're ignoring the helicopter option
:allitongue:

Back
Top Bottom