Leeds United!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes,I do believe they are rather unpopular in certain football circles! Have we issues? I'm not old enough to remember them in their glory days of the 70s!

I can only speak from my own experience up there in the FA Cup in the 90,s.

I'm all for old school atmospheres, but after the game they were attacking everyone, blokes with their kids. It was bad.

Bully's. There's always a nice reception for them down the Lane.

Last edited:
I can only speak from my own experience up there in the FA Cup in the 90,s.

I'm all for old school atmospheres, but after the game they were attacking everyone, blokes with their kids. It was bad.

Bully's. There's always a nice reception for them down the Lane.
a bit primeval at the FA cup replay 2010

the coach we were on in the 90s received a lovely welcome on the side of the road, Nazi salutes

Leslie Silver must have wondered why he bothered.

My cousin went to uni in Leeds , went up a couple of times, once with two spurs supporting mates, got chatting to these Leeds lads who were ok, but we're only complimentary about how good the spurs firm were.......odd lot

this. Hissing disgusting mob, my old man had to explain to me in the 90's why this lot were hissing from the away section during the match very sad day as a child.
There is a writer, Anthony Clavane, who is a massive Leeds fan. One of his books is "Does Your Rabbi Know You're Here?". I haven't read it but have heard him interviewed on the radio numerous times. Anyway, every time I've heard him talk about the book he claim's that Leeds is "the Jewish club" not Spurs. He claims that Leeds have always had a massive jewish following. I can't get my head around that, I can't lay claim to stats and % of jews at either club but like you I remember the appalling anti-semitic chants from Leeds fans, by far and away the worst of any other football club, horrendous.

Leeds always had a hatred of Spurs, apart from the anti-semitic stuff, does anyone know why? Was there a thing that started it or is it just a North South thing?

Most endearing Spurs v Leeds image.
1304706758-9.jpg

There is a writer, Anthony Clavane, who is a massive Leeds fan. One of his books is "Does Your Rabbi Know You're Here?". I haven't read it but have heard him interviewed on the radio numerous times. Anyway, every time I've heard him talk about the book he claim's that Leeds is "the Jewish club" not Spurs. He claims that Leeds have always had a massive jewish following. I can't get my head around that, I can't lay claim to stats and % of jews at either club but like you I remember the appalling anti-semitic chants from Leeds fans, by far and away the worst of any other football club, horrendous.

Leeds always had a hatred of Spurs, apart from the anti-semitic stuff, does anyone know why? Was there a thing that started it or is it just a North South thing?

1304706758-9.jpg

I'm no expert, but Spurs have always taken it to Leeds, from the 80,s onwards in terms of organised aggro.
Unfortunately they can't tell the difference between a normal supporter and firm.
In the 80,s they were the Chelsea of the North and quite prelevant on the England scene.

We all hate Leeds Scum is very very well deserved.

1304706758-9.jpg
A history entwined: Leeds United and city’s Jewish community

1304706758-9.jpg
I read about the book on several sites (including the big articles the Jewish Chronicle had) but haven't gotten to read it myself.
Anyway, how does one define a Jewish club? Jewish owned? (us), Jewish symbolism? (us), % of the support being Jewish? (don't know), the club most Jews support? (sadly, I think that's Woolwich with us and manure coming 2nd and 3rd). Looks like a conceptual argument over nothing really. Spurs are the "Jewish" club because that's how everyone perceives it, there's no fact over or under that makes another club or us the real "Jewish Club".

I doubt Leeds ever had that massive of following, even at its height the Jewish community there was substantially smaller than the North London (around 60%) and the Manchester (10%~) ones.

Even if all the 10-20K Jews who live in Leeds supported them that doesn't change the fact that their following always had a nasty Chelsea-like antisemitic ways. Their crowd also always had that thuggish vibe regardless of being nazi fuckwits.

I read about the book on several sites (including the big articles the Jewish Chronicle had) but haven't gotten to read it myself.
Anyway, how does one define a Jewish club? Jewish owned? (us), Jewish symbolism? (us), % of the support being Jewish? (don't know), the club most Jews support? (sadly, I think that's Woolwich with us and manure coming 2nd and 3rd). Looks like a conceptual argument over nothing really. Spurs are the "Jewish" club because that's how everyone perceives it, there's no fact over or under that makes another club or us the real "Jewish Club".

I doubt Leeds ever had that massive of following, even at its height the Jewish community there was substantially smaller than the North London (around 60%) and the Manchester (10%~) ones.

Even if all the 10-20K Jews who live in Leeds supported them that doesn't change the fact that their following always had a nasty Chelsea-like antisemitic ways. Their crowd also always had that thuggish vibe regardless of being nazi fuckwits.
I've always had the view that the label "jewish club" was assigned to us was because of Stamford Hill. Away fans making their way to White Hart Lane would have travelled through Stamford Hill, the sight of Orthodox Jews would have stirred the Alf Garnet in many a man back then. Do this trip many times a year and year after year the myth perpetuates. Once it gathers momentum a stereotype is formed and further embellished by the likes of Badel (his Rabbi Spurs supporter) just enforcing it.

It is fair to say though, in the +40yrs I've been going I have always sat next to a Jewish supporter (+25yrs ST) without exception.

I've always had the view that the label "jewish club" was assigned to us was because of Stamford Hill. Away fans making their way to White Hart Lane would have travelled through Stamford Hill, the sight of Orthodox Jews would have stirred the Alf Garnet in many a man back then. Do this trip many times a year and year after year the myth perpetuates. Once it gathers momentum a stereotype is formed and further embellished by the likes of Badel (his Rabbi Spurs supporter) just enforcing it.

It is fair to say though, in the +40yrs I've been going I have always sat next to a Jewish supporter (+25yrs ST) without exception.
Away support wasn't all that common until the 1960's and I think most away supporters would come by car from the north or the train to King's Cross and then the Victoria

https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/features/how-tottenham-became-the-jewish-football-team-1.53784

I don't agree with the normative claims but the historic part is accurate I feel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom